PDA

View Full Version : Halibrand Wheels, Exact Replica

MARC212
10-22-2014, 11:20 AM
A “dead on” accurate replica ofthe long talked-about famed #7011 Halibrand wheels that were offered as adealer option by Studebaker for the 1963-64 Avantis, Hawks, and Larks. The newwheels are 100% USA made. They are made out of aluminum not magnesium as theoriginals were. They are being produced and offered by Real Rodders Wheels.. All wheels are one-piece cast just as the originals, in our US foundry usingtoday’s state-of-the-art tooling and casting methods. Unlike the originals,today’s Wheels are manufactured up to OEM specs and testing, with today’ssafety standards built in such as tire safety beads, rim and tire bead seat angle,radial cornering and crash testing etc. and are tubeless..
Wheel molds were made from an original OEM NOS wheelsupplied by Studebaker Club authority Jon Myer. Upon Jon’s suggestion they addedequally to each side of the wheel to arrive at a 15 x 6 width for both betterhandling and tire selection.
The spinners are also exact replicas of the originals andare being offered thru Myer’s Studebaker Parts.
(Real Rodders Wheels 805-402-2212)

Dan White
10-22-2014, 12:22 PM
OK they look great so how much?

MARC212
10-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Best to check with Real Rodders Wheels, but I think $395 for the wheel. The spinner is from Jon Myer and I do not know what they cost.

junior
10-22-2014, 01:10 PM
wow...those are sweet! junior

JRoberts
10-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Love these wheels. Now I just need to buy the car to put them on:confused:.

studefan
10-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Can't find them on Real Rodders Wheels website. Can someone post the link to these wheels?

MARC212
10-22-2014, 05:13 PM
They should be listed on Friday, but you can give Pat Obrien a call at Real Rodders, he has all of the information. 805-402-2212

bezhawk
10-22-2014, 07:21 PM
I would look at these first.....
http://www.mhtwheels.com/mht-luxury-alloy-wheel.cfm?id=2775

kurtruk
10-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Made of a different material, wider, etc. does not equal "Exact Replica."

How 'bout "New and Improved."

52hawk
10-23-2014, 08:54 AM
My first wife had a habit of saying "exactly about" I learned not to try to tell her that doesn't make sense.

Buzzard
10-23-2014, 11:02 AM
It's wonderful that someone is reproducing such a great looking wheel. It's too bad 7" width is not offered as that certainly would open up the applications for a whole lot of better, more modern tire sizes. (eg: 225/70R15; 235/70R15).
To the eye, not many would ever be able to tell the difference, but the drive-ability would be greatly enhanced.
Bill

Mike Van Veghten
10-23-2014, 12:51 PM
kurktruck is correct.
Not "exact replicas". Like "frame off" restoration..! You'd have to roll the car upside down to remove...the frame from the body for a frame off....

But close enough.

Mike

MARC212
10-23-2014, 01:13 PM
"Exact Replica" is called a pleonasm, and while somewhat redundant is entirely acceptable English. In this case, I guess I used it as an adjective, because you could have a "replica" that was not so accurate.

Still, it is a fantastic reproduction!!

48skyliner
10-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Our 48 Champion is most certainly a frame off restoration, and we never turned it upside down. We just blocked up the car and dropped the frame out the bottom. There was very little rust on the bottom , so cleaning it up and priming it was relatively easy from underneath.

Bob Caser
10-23-2014, 05:53 PM
A couple of years ago, at the Grand National Roadster Show, I spoke to Pat O'Brien of Real Rodders Wheels, he informed me that he could reproduce the Halibrand wheels. I passed this information on to Jon Myer and at the moment do not know who moved this forward to fruition. Thank you to whoever was involved and finished this wheel. The original new1963 era Halibrands never looked this good. I will buy a set for my Avanti. I have had several sets of original Halibrands and have attempted to detail them to show quality and was never successful, the old magnesium does not take well to polishing.

Bob Caser

JRoberts
10-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Maybe a silly question, but if a car that would have been eligible to get these wheels orginially as an option, would it loose points if it used a set of these replica wheels?

DEEPNHOCK
10-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Pleonasm....another great word!

ple·o·nasm
noun
the use of more words than are necessary to convey meaning (e.g., see with one's eyes ), either as a fault of style or for emphasis.

"Exact Replica" is called a pleonasm, and while somewhat redundant is entirely acceptable English. In this case, I guess I used it as an adjective, because you could have a "replica" that was not so accurate.

Still, it is a fantastic reproduction!!

Swifster
10-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Both wheels look good. The Halibrand repops look good...

Xcalibur
10-24-2014, 04:51 PM
W E I G H T ? ? ? I have seen other "repros" that are absolutely atrocious. Any idea, anyone? Thanks.

MARC212
10-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Approximately 16 pounds.

DEEPNHOCK
10-24-2014, 08:21 PM
That's a hoot...
A Stude V8 weighs as much as a big block Chevy and we are splitting hairs on 5 pounds per wheel?????

W E I G H T ? ? ? I have seen other "repros" that are absolutely atrocious. Any idea, anyone? Thanks.

Xcalibur
10-26-2014, 03:54 PM
It's hardly "splitting hairs" when it's unsprung weight... even "5 pounds" per corner makes a difference. And, besides, believe it or not, everyone doesn't limit their engine options to ol' tech cast iron, no matter how cool it is otherwise... nor, live rear axles. Thanks for the info MARC212!

DEEPNHOCK
10-26-2014, 04:00 PM
OK... You win...

It's hardly "splitting hairs" when it's unsprung weight... even "5 pounds" per corner makes a difference. And, besides, believe it or not, everyone doesn't limit their engine options to ol' tech cast iron, no matter how cool it is otherwise... nor, live rear axles. Thanks for the info MARC212!

stude-sled
10-26-2014, 04:28 PM
They will make these to any width you want. I talked to them two weeks ago about custom widths and it did not seem to be a problem. (All it takes is money)

Halibrand1
10-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Glad to see a project John has been working on for years has been accomplished. I talked to the same people and they wanted ten thousand to make a patern and a guarantee of 10 sets at four thousand a set and they would market them and own the pattern so after that so I felt the first 10 buyers would get an unfair deal . The Kidney Bean style wheel went thru quite a few different manufactures and pricing so it will be interesting to see what happens here . Ed

00RACER
10-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Weren't the kidney bean used on the hawks, and this style used on the larks and avanti's?

Commando66
10-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Wonder if they contacted Phil Smith about making reproductions? He makes some other vintage style wheels.http://www.psvintagewheels.com/products.html

Bob Caser
10-27-2014, 08:59 PM
I believe, Phil Smith of PS vintage wheels is no longer in the wheel business. His Kidney Bean style wheel was a two piece design.
He did manufacture a lot of wheels for Cobra replicas, but not enough to stay in business.

jackwporter
10-27-2014, 11:29 PM
" Are the new wheels compatible for front disk breaks??"
A “dead on” accurate replica ofthe long talked-about famed #7011 Halibrand wheels that were offered as adealer option by Studebaker for the 1963-64 Avantis, Hawks, and Larks. The newwheels are 100% USA made. They are made out of aluminum not magnesium as theoriginals were. They are being produced and offered by Real Rodders Wheels.. All wheels are one-piece cast just as the originals, in our US foundry usingtoday’s state-of-the-art tooling and casting methods. Unlike the originals,today’s Wheels are manufactured up to OEM specs and testing, with today’ssafety standards built in such as tire safety beads, rim and tire bead seat angle,radial cornering and crash testing etc. and are tubeless..
Wheel molds were made from an original OEM NOS wheelsupplied by Studebaker Club authority Jon Myer. Upon Jon’s suggestion they addedequally to each side of the wheel to arrive at a 15 x 6 width for both betterhandling and tire selection.
The spinners are also exact replicas of the originals andare being offered thru Myer’s Studebaker Parts.
(Real Rodders Wheels 805-402-2212)

MARC212
10-27-2014, 11:54 PM
They were made using the NOS OEM Halibrand provided by Jon Myer, and are exact in every dimension, except 6" width. I am sure they are compatible with the Avanti disk brakes. I plan to put a set on my '64 R2.