Adding power steering & power brakes to 50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Adding power steering & power brakes to 50 Champion

Hey guys, looking for some info on adding power steering & brakes to a 1950 Champion. It's my uncles car and he doesn't drive it as much as he'd like because it's just too much work for him now that he's older. Everything that I've seen on here seems to be for later models, but looks like 50 is different. I have the skill to do whatever it takes, just need some direction with either kits that are available or the parts that I can make work. Thanks!

For the brakes, you can add a Hydrovac. New units are available from Studebaker International. The steering is another issue, with the 1950 underpinnings. Don't think much is available. You could put radials on it and inflate to a higher psi.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Make very sure that ALL of the Zerk fittings (there are a LOT) are all taking grease especially the King Pins. Check the Steering Gear Box for Grease and check the wheel alignment to make it steer as easily as possible.

Check the turning effort with the wheels off the ground for binding or tightness.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll check out the Hydrovac brakes from Studebaker International. As for the steering, I've done everything mentioned, and some, and it steers very well, but it's just not enough for him. At low speed and sharp turns just too much work for him, so that's why he doesn't drive it as much as he'd like. Looks like I'll be fab'ing something up to make a later factory unit work, just was hoping to find a kit that somebody already did the work!

Comment

Come on Mark, that would be just too easy, where's the Fun in that?

I can tell you haven't been around many Studebakers much to know that anything like that would have to be for a newer more popular Model, like a '63 GT Hawk.

But since they HAD the option, parts ARE available and a Mod Kit is not needed.

This is like Real Estate: LOCATION, Location, location. But it's QTY, Qty, qty!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you are running 12 volt I heard about uni-steer which is electric . I realy do not know anything about it.

Comment

From 1951 on, the front suspension of Studebakers was basically the same, 1950 is an "odd" year; one year only components! Before that they used a transverse leaf spring set up called "Planar" for several years.

Comment

There is a "power assist" unit available for classic cars. It attaches to the steeting column under the dash and is electrically powers. Can't quite recall the name of the unit.

Comment

UniSteer® Performance Products is a manufacturer of specialty steering systems and components for street rods, classic cars & muscle cars as well a large variety of custom vehicles. UniSteer® Performance is a division of Maval Industries, supported Maval’s stellar manufacturing, engineering, and R&D capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Come on Mark, that would be just too easy, where's the Fun in that?
                    Rich, I've got enough FUN in my life, I'm just looking for easy now...lol!

Thanks for the help guys, I've looked at the Unisteer assist, but was hoping there was a more "factory" option, but if not that will get the job done.

Comment

Working...
                    X