PDA

View Full Version : la Carrera Panamericana

Dick Steinkamp
10-22-2014, 10:37 AM
A couple of Studes Monday at la Carrera Panamericana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rZDVCKlUoA

I has always amazed me that we have never capitalized on the dominance of Studebakers of this important motorsports event to publicize the marque.

candbstudebakers
10-22-2014, 10:51 AM
If I knew the names of the owners of the Studes then I would know if any on my parts are flying around the track, I delivered a 55 hardtop last year to Texas to become one and I think the black one has a hood and fender that I sent out after it got smashed up in another race, one never knows where they might end up.

warrlaw1
10-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Love it. I have a Mexican tour guide who has volunteered to pilot me if I ever get the urge to run with the big guys. On my bucket list.

Dick Steinkamp
10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
This pass has got to be close to 100 MPH...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cCB81JmWqI

Commander Eddie
10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I started following this a couple of years ago and am also curious why the Studebaker participation does not get more attention. Especially since they seem to dominate this particular race. Last year 5 of the top finishers were Studebakers if I remember correctly.

Dick Steinkamp
10-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Videos courtesy of my buddy Javier who lives in central Mexico. He had this to say in his note to me...

What I have seen is thet a lot of people talk about Studebaker racing in the past, and for some reason they pretend to ignore the PRESENT,

Studebaker is still making History,

At the moment Im buyng the tickets for Tuesday the 28th early.

I'm getting ready for the carrera, we are organizing a breakfast in the speed section.

Lucky guy! It would be hard to beat breakfast with friends in the speed section of la Carrera Panamericana :!:

Commander Eddie
10-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Yeh. Sounds like this needs to be added to my "Bucket List". :cool:

gordr
10-22-2014, 11:51 AM
I have been aware of this for some time, but I think the fact that there is practically nothing Studebaker about these cars other than the body shell might have something to do with it. Driveline and chassis are pretty much like NASCAR cars, aren't they?

Studedude
10-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Great to see them in action!

The drivers could use some instruction on apex entry and exit, it would improve their times.

junior
10-22-2014, 02:07 PM
The drivers could use some instruction on apex entry and exit, it would improve their times.

huh...'splain please...line looks great to me and setting up for the next corner...but I'm used to driving on ice lol!

BobWaitz
10-22-2014, 02:23 PM
I have been aware of this for some time, but I think the fact that there is practically nothing Studebaker about these cars other than the body shell might have something to do with it. Driveline and chassis are pretty much like NASCAR cars, aren't they?

While there are several classes each having different requirements for level of originality, most of the Studebakers run in what's called "Turismo Mayor." They are essentially a Winston Cup car with a Stude body on it. They retain a portion of the Studebaker chassis, but not much. Most are powered by 327 SBCs.

Studedude
10-22-2014, 02:28 PM
huh...'splain please...line looks great to me and setting up for the next corner...but I'm used to driving on ice lol!

Apex later and tighter, come out higher.

8E45E
10-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Apex later and tighter, come out higher.

I am sure you have done your share of high-speed chases, being an ex-Cop. Therefore, you would know how to take a fast corner.

Craig

JRoberts
10-22-2014, 02:52 PM
There was a La Carrera Panamericana Studebaker on display during the International Meet held in Charlotte, NC a number of years ago. That one, I believe, was Studebaker powered. This race has always intrigued me even when I read about it when I was a young kid (Yea, I know that was a long time ago;)). The idea of American sedans competing in an international competition is/was cool.

Dick Steinkamp
10-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Great to see them in action!

You just might be right, Dave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7v3z79URmM&list=UUfm6O7qvsyOlY6HyXHRy8Bw

:eek:

Studedude
10-22-2014, 04:07 PM
I am sure you have done your share of high-speed chases, being an ex-Cop. Therefore, you would know how to take a fast corner.

Craig
I instructed emergency vehicle operations and law enforcement driver instructor courses for 20 years, and did some roundy-round racing, so I do have an understanding of the concept. There are lots of differences between circle racing and road racing, but the principles are pretty much the same.

And, I also understand the concept of missing a set-up/apex/exit, even with experience. It happens to the best of 'em.

Studedude
10-22-2014, 04:19 PM
You just might be right, Dave...:eek:

'Doesn't hurt to decelerate before entering the turn, and... ya might say, in this case, he came out just a little too high! :o

Nox
10-22-2014, 05:19 PM
I've also been quite surprised for some years that this Studebaker-dominance history-still-in-making aint get'n the credit it deserves...
& yes, there's different classes, not all of them are totally changed not-much-Studebaker-left cars.
& sometimes the driver in the wining car ( a Studebaker for sure!) might even be Swedish...
:)

shifter4
10-22-2014, 07:39 PM
I put :la Carrera Panamericanain the Forum search box and got 2 pages of results dating back to 2006.

At the dragstrip just recently , I was in line ahead of a Dodge Ram diesel in the staging lanes .
The truck was from Michigan , and was here in Florida for some various events . He came to see my Stude , and
during the conversation , mentioned that he had been at a shop in Michigan where several of the Studes were
being built for La Carrera Panamerica . He basically of verified that those particular ones were Stude bodied, modern race chassis cars .
Pretty neat though .

candbstudebakers
10-22-2014, 11:53 PM
While there are several classes each having different requirements for level of originality, most of the Studebakers run in what's called "Turismo Mayor." They are essentially a Winston Cup car with a Stude body on it. They retain a portion of the Studebaker chassis, but not much. Most are powered by 327 SBCs.

I have both here right now waiting for some one to do their thing, 53 Starliner no engine or trans GT dash and seats, body rough but is a 53 hardtop, also have a built 69 350 hp 327 with 2x4 manifold, and block hug headers, $1000.00 on the car and $2500 on the engine also the engine is rebuilt and waiting, combo would make a nice race car for this event. PM

clonelark
10-23-2014, 02:08 AM
And here's one we could sent to the Oldsmobile crowd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4-IH16qNuo

8E45E
10-23-2014, 07:49 AM
And, I also understand the concept of missing a set-up/apex/exit, even with experience. It happens to the best of 'em.

Those who were on the ASC tour in Sacramento in 2003 got to see a demonstration with 5-liter Camaros on the CHP test track, all at 80+ mph.

Craig

t walgamuth
10-23-2014, 08:46 AM
They aren't taking the corners at a speed which approaches ultimate cornering such as you'd have on any closed circuit. That fellow simply ran out of room, possibly caught out by the camber of the road. On actual public roads you have to run at probably 90% of the possible ultimate cornering force.

Although lots are probably tube frame specials I suspect some carry the stock or nearly stock frame under them. The Studebaker shell is chosen because it is low, sleek and narrow so gives best top speed. I suspect the rules are such that Studebakers make the best choice. Its a cinch these guys aren't driving them just because they like studies.;) IE no newer than a certain year and must look stock. What compares to the sublime Louwey coupe, hardtop.

BobWaitz
10-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Keep in mind that you've never seen the course before driving it and you are only using a cue sheet that provides the mileage on the course (so you can locate the corner), the direction, and the difficulty. Except for the stages at Mil Cumbres and La Bufa, there's a good chance you've never driven that road before and you'll never drive it again!

t walgamuth
10-23-2014, 09:40 PM
yeppppppers.