PDA

View Full Version : OH Boy What Have I Done

jg61hawk
10-20-2014, 10:13 PM
This post could be deleted because it concerns a Ford...but only because of Studebaker. Long story short...I bought a Ford Model A tonight. WHY!!!??? Because my wife and my sons have watched the Studebaker cars come and go (except for the Hawk... had that forever) and they found a 1929 Model A Roadster Convertible with a rumble seat that was dirt cheap and in need of love. So now I own a FORD!:yeahright: :ohmy::D Can you stand to share me with another forum??? I already know one thing...the parts availability for a Model A are easier than any Stude.

JoeHall
10-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. What happened, did you hit your head or something? You still qualify for here, since you kept your Hawk. :!:

My bro-in-law, long time Studebaker aficionado, has been hankering for a Model 'A' for the past year or so, but I think his friends have about talked him out of it.
I recall a Model 'T' in the middle of the California desert that still was used to make service calls for (desert) highway breakdowns, as late as 1990. The guy said folks would be astonished when he'd pull up to help them. I asked if it ever overheated, and he said no, but would "percolate" when good and hot.

Scott
10-20-2014, 10:52 PM
I have never seen any model A Ford go for dirt cheap. Usually they go for twice or 3 times what you think is a reasonable price. To me dirt cheap is under $500. If that's how much you spent I'm floored.

8E45E
10-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Because my wife and my sons have watched the Studebaker cars come and go (except for the Hawk... had that forever) and they found a 1929 Model A Roadster Convertible with a rumble seat that was dirt cheap and in need of love.

Yep, its nice to have a cheap toy around for the kids to play with! :D

Craig

SScopelli
10-21-2014, 12:21 AM
If you post a picture of your Ford, make sure it has a Studebaker in the background, and you'll keep to the forum guidelines..
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/R2Whistler/Misc/misc/Mustang3_zpsc5275c30.jpg

PackardV8
10-21-2014, 01:00 AM
New toys are fun. My first car was a 1930 Ford Deluxe Coupe. I have fond memories on the one hand, but I haven't ever wanted to own another.

As you say, literally every piece of the A-bone is being reproduced. One can build an A from catalogs.

FWIW, the value of Model As, in constant dollars, peaked about 1963. They've held their own, but haven't gotten relatively more expensive.

jack vines

rockinhawk
10-21-2014, 06:09 AM
I have always believed:It's OK to drive a Ford... until you get to where you can do better!

TMAN0950
10-21-2014, 07:31 AM
I have a 1929 Model A in the garage with my Studebakers. Model A's are very cool.

JRoberts
10-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Yhe local Model A club drives their cars all around the state, even west tothe Blue Ridge Mountains where they have been know to drive up to the top of Mt. Mitchell (highest point east of the Mississippi). I love the fact that they are not afraid to drive these really nice vehicles on a regular basis. Congrats on your new old car. Lets see a picture with the Hawk and the Model A together.

Deaf Mute
10-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Had to sell my '30 Model A Tudor a few years back... There were probably parts off 100 different cars in that restoration... I did a lot of work, but hadn't spent a lot of money. Yet insurance, license plates, etc. keep adding up and my wife suggested that something had to go... not my '53, not my Avanti, not the 1957 Olds that has been in the family since new.... so I advertised the A. There were a lot of "lookers" , but it was either "too nice" or "not nice enough", I finally sold it to a re-seller who changed the wheel & pinstripe color from French Grey to a god-awful iridescent greenish blue and added $10,000 to what he paid me & sold it.
I am now working on a 1949 - 1953 Stude pickup using a lot of stray parts to get the job done.
I miss that A tho. It ALWAYS started and usually got me to where I was going... at 50mph.

Dick Steinkamp
10-21-2014, 09:03 PM
New toys are fun. My first car was a 1930 Ford Deluxe Coupe. I have fond memories on the one hand, but I haven't ever wanted to own another.

My first car was also a 30 coupe...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Coupe.jpg

...also my first project. I bought it home in pieces on a flat bed truck when I was 15. Spent a year putting it back together.

Unlike Jack, I am hankering for another. Trying to relive my youth most likely. ;)

jg61hawk
10-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Well thanks for allowing a Ford post....I will get the car on Saturday and by Monday you will have a picture of the Hawk and the A meeting each other. The Hawk is very secure in it's position as we have been together almost 40 years. I don't expect a fight. If the A thinks it's getting the heated/cooled garage it ain't!! It's getting a nice enclosed garage with no power and no alarm...but maybe if it behaves who knows??? The Hawk served it's time well as my everyday car for almost 30 years. I may be slightly nuts but when I go to work on real rainy or snowy days I leave through the garage and I talk to the Hawk, and tell it that I'm jealous that it got to retire before me.