Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wagonaire Electric Tailgate Swap: Need parts list

Afternoon all,
    I am in the process of getting an electric tailgate from a 64' Wagonaire to put into my non-electric tailgate equipped 64' Wagonaire and need to know exactly what parts need to be pulled from the donor car to allow for a straight across swap. I know some of you have worked on these wagons and know what is involved and know specifically what parts I need to get off the donor (switch, relays, wiring harness, etc.). This car will likely be scrapped once I get everything I need from it (really far gone, no drivetrain, no windows, tons of rust) so I have one shot to get what is necessary. Thanks in advance. Garrett

I was told the electric window motor from a Avanti powered the rear window on my '66 Wagonaire.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Thanks Chris, that is true but that does not help me much, I am purchasing a complete setup but the gentlemen who is selling it to me knows nothing about this car so he needs to know specifically what to pull off of it.

Comment

Everything inside the tailgate except the window runners
        Bill Foy
        1000 Islands, Ontario
        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Don't forget the wire harness, dash switch & bezel. There may also be a relay under the hood (if it's wired like an Avanti) with wiring going to the dash switch.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Don't forget the lock set up as there is no handle with the electric ones, get key if you can.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

All that's really needed, except for the tailgate, is the circuit breaker and the wire going from the dash back to the tailgate. It's about a #12 and IIRC it's lt green. Did this conversion years ago on my 64 wagon.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I got my hands on a wiring diagram last night and can confirm the only parts I really need are the aforementioned relay/circuit, dash switch and harness from back to front. Sounds lime the parts car has everything I need. You guys have an idea of what the complete tailgate is worth with components, has surface rust on both sides with tiny patch of rust through on outside but easy fix, no guarantee the motor is still good, has no glass but I have a rusty one with glass in my wagon currently. Guy thinks it is rare, which it is but still needs complete restoration. Thoughts or input appreciated.

Comment

As I told you on the Phone, my highest value guess is $200.00 it will be at least another $100 to ship it.

With all that Minn. rust, even that could be too much.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, you are spot on and another person PM'd me an offered the same estimate. I made an offer for $350 over the phone since this was in good condition but certainly not excellent or anything close to it (will take $1K to make it perfect again) and I was laughed off of the phone, said he wanted $900 for it. I laughed back and told him I wouldn't offer him that for the entire car. Wished him luck. This was the son I was dealing with and not the Dad whom I had been dealing with all along whom seemed to have a reasonable head on him. Guess the head was not passed down. Will be in the market for an electric gate so if anyone stumbles across one or has one they want to part with let me know. Would also be open to getting components, i.e. relay, switch and motor/internals, don't need an entire tailgate as the one I have is savable. Thanks again all.

Comment

If you are going to remove the tailgate on either car...Be careful around the torsion spring! It can break a finger or two easily!
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the spring. I do have a shop manual so once I start he body disassembly I plan to reference it closely but my guess is it doesn't mention...step #6 has a high potential of breaking your fingers. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                          If you are going to remove the tailgate on either car...Be careful around the torsion spring! It can break a finger or two easily!
                          When removing the torsion bar do it with the tail gate closed as much as you can to remove the cover that holds it , that way there is very little tension on the bar, it will in fact break you hand of fingers if done when down laying flat and hand in the wrong place, ask me I know and have the mangled hand to show for it.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

I think the spacers between the door and the mech are different than a crank up unit.

Comment

Working...
                            X