Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally progress to report, 1 step at a time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally progress to report, 1 step at a time.

Embarrassingly I mentioned in a post on a different thread that I was working on replacing the floor pans in my hawk. It's embarrassing because that post was about 4 years ago. But I finally can report that the floor pans are finished. This was the major rust issue in my car. There are other areas that will need to be repaired but the floors were the worst and largest. A previous owner along the way had installed new metal over the old, rusted pans, just riveting it in place and the rust had spread significantly. This was my first time doing sheet metal work and my first experience mig welding so I learned a lot. This weekend was looking to be the last warm weekend of the season and with the help of my dad I was able to get a coat of epoxy primer over the entire interior so that I can move forward with some other projects over the winter. The following are pictures of the process:

My one excuse for the delay of work is this one. But she is helpful sometimes.

Needless to say it has a ways to go. One question I have for others that have done this. The classic enterprise floor pans have a straight edge along where the rocker panel mounts (from the A pillar to B pillar) but the rocker panels are bowed from front to back. What have people done when welding new rocker panels in to account for this large gap in the middle? It'll be a while before I get to this but I don't have a good plan just yet.

Originally posted by silverhawk1958 View Post
    My one excuse for the delay of work is this one. But she is helpful sometimes.
    Nice work!

Spend all the time with that little one, they grow up SO fast!

This is a shot of one of my granddaughters helping on my project:

I won't bore you with updated pics, but she is now a college graduate, a wife, and the mother of two wonderful children.

As important as our hobbies are to us, time with the little ones is more important!!
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Amen on what Dave says!!!

today is my daughter's 24th birthday. She has graduated from UNC-CH, is back going for a Doctorate of Audiology - plus is the manager of the best Japanese Steak House in Raleigh. not to mention my 4 1/2 month old granddaughter.

good job on the floor pans!!!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I will say that I was present at the painting of the interior of my son's Silver Hawk, he did all the hard work. I found the results to be a fine piece of work. The plans for this car are incredible and when it is done it will be a unique Studebaker indeed. And yes his daughter, our granddaughter, knows about tools and old cars. Her dad is teaching her well. ,
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
        X