1963 Avanti VIN, engine#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Avanti VIN, engine#

I looked at a 1963 Avanti today that had a rebuilt engine. The engine number was VH312. The body tag was RQ3377, but I could not locate the VIN. Where should the VIN tag be? Thanks.

Avantis don't have VIN numbers...that was 1981 and later. All cars then had serial numbers. The car's serial number would be on a plate riveted to the top of the frame rail on the passenger side of the engine bay underneath the fan blower motor. It could well be covered in oil and grease. Wipe off that area and it should become visible. Depending on when your car was assembled, it should say "Studebaker Corporation" and under it the number starting with either "63R-xxxx" or simply "R-xxxx".

Your engine is not original to the car. Avanti engines would have numbers starting with either "R" or "RS". Lark types and Hawks that came with Avanti engines would have the number start with "JT". That's not say your engine may not be built to Avanti specs, but it wasn't an "R" engine to begin with.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The Engine BLOCK was a 259 c.i.d. Engine for a 1964 Lark Type, built Aug. 12, 1963.

The "innards" (Pistons and or Crank) may no longer be 259, and COULD be 289 or Avanti 289 R1.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

At this point your engine could be nearly anything. Absolutely, no way to tell without testing/disassembly. Enjoy, nonetheless!!!!

Comment

I recently bought an engine that started life as a 60 Lark 259 but it has the water manifold, timing cover, aluminum timing gear & R series oil pan that originally was with it's donor Avanti. Perhaps this engine was put together by the same guy as the one your looking at!

I haven't checked the lift but if mine has the R series cam in it I'll be more stoked yet!
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

He told me the Serial # is R4300.

It's been done up pretty well and looks right, so it may only be the block .....but as Xcalibur says....... The ad also suggests documentation that the engine was rebuilt 2500 miles ago. That may show the reason for the difference. At any rate, it isn't totally an Avanti, so that could lighten the price..
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
            X