PDA

View Full Version : Door Slammer

Farrier1951
10-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Enlighten me please. My "new" 55 Commander has doors that take some pretty hard slams to get them to stay closed. Maybe this has something to do with the broken windows. I have noticed this on other vintage vehicles also. What gives? What do I have to do to get them to swing easily into place and latch properly? What should I be looking at? Thanks folks!

Lamar
10-16-2014, 04:44 AM
I would say the biggest problem for most are the door seals are hard, missing or just wrong. The correct seals in good condition with proper adjustment will allow the doors to close with very little force. Lamar

Jerry Forrester
10-16-2014, 06:20 AM
Enlighten me please. My "new" 55 Commander has doors that take some pretty hard slams to get them to stay closed. Maybe this has something to do with the broken windows. I have noticed this on other vintage vehicles also. What gives? What do I have to do to get them to swing easily into place and latch properly? What should I be looking at? Thanks folks!

I've run into this same problem on many '53-55 Studes. The only Studes I have ever owned that were drivable.
The problem has always been corrected with new latches and strikers.

jackb
10-16-2014, 10:33 AM
you may need to adjust strikers, hinges, doors and remember that no re-popped seals from overseas are perfect.

52hawk
10-16-2014, 11:25 AM
First,the doors have to be adjusted to fit the openings.Hinges need to be in good condition,worn hinges and pins can't be adjusted well.
Then,good latches and strikers are necessary. If aftermarket weather strips are used,they shouldn't be much thicker than original.[all new weather strips for our Studebakers are"aftermarket" of course]But all the rubber I've gotten from our vendors are high quality.

studegary
10-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Start by removing the striker/latch from the door frame. Adjust the door so that it shuts easily and properly into the correct position. If you have floor or A-pillar rust, you need to correct that first. If you have worn hinges, you need to replace them first. With the door shutting properly, then replace the latches. The door latch should only hold the door shut. It should not be used to force the door into position.

jclary
10-16-2014, 08:41 PM
First,the doors have to be adjusted to fit the openings.Hinges need to be in good condition,worn hinges and pins can't be adjusted well.
Then,good latches and strikers are necessary. If aftermarket weather strips are used,they shouldn't be much thicker than original.[all new weather strips for our Studebakers are"aftermarket" of course]But all the rubber I've gotten from our vendors are high quality.

Good suggestions from all. Especially 52hawk. How many of you remember when you went to your local filling station for your oil change? Remember, part of that service was the clicker oil can on the hinge pins, and the white grease stick for your door striker/latch. Nowadays...those areas are probably the most neglected mechanical areas of any car.

rockne10
10-16-2014, 08:59 PM
With patience and good parts those doors should close with a slight push with one finger. Often the strikers have been broken by folks who thought all doors, hoods and trunks need to be slammed. I cringe at the sight of anyone dropping a Studebaker hood or trunk lid from two or three feet ! :eek::mad:

Door-ease is still in my tool box and available at ACE Hardware and other fine stores, or shop for it online.

kurtruk
10-17-2014, 02:03 AM
And new hinge pins are readily available.