hawk drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: hawk drive shaft

hello all , i have removed the 2 piece drive shaft from my 1957 hawk to fit new uni joints however i failed to mark which end was which, i can work out the short front shaft but the rear is the problem as it has a small factory weight on one end, could anyone tell me what end goes towards the diff ,weighted end or other way. any help would be welcome,
    thanks from roger
    R.A.Jennings

I think it can only go one way with the front being shorter, if backwards the center carrier would not match up, that's my guess I might be wrong.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
      I think it can only go one way with the front being shorter, if backwards the center carrier would not match up, that's my guess I might be wrong.
      I think he's talking about the rear shaft. I may be wrong but I don't think it makes any difference.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Certainly the balance weights have NOTHING to do with anything for sure. It SHOULD have been installed the way it came out, but it's a bit late for that.

I never heard of anyone removing the splined slip shaft from the front of the rear shaft before, without reassembling it all in one process.

There may be marks of some kind, grease whatever showing what it attached to since a Rear axle yoke is very different than the center support.

Do we need a CSI here to investigate the forensic evidence?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

hello all , thanks for your help , all i need to know is which end the factory weight is on the long drive shaft , the short shaft is easy to work out, the splines have not been removed , i may not have explained it very well , cheers from roger
          R.A.Jennings

Comment

Working...
          X