PDA

View Full Version : Caution: Turning Wheels Subscription Phishing Scam Afoot

BobPalma
10-15-2014, 11:01 AM
'Just got confirmation from SDC Membership Secretary Mark Wheeler, that a Turning Wheels subscription phishing scam may be afoot. :QQ:

I got an e-mail this morning from a sender identified only as GMail, which didn't make any sense.

The subject line said Subscription to Turning Wheels.

As a Life Member, I don't have to renew Turning Wheels subscriptions, so that sounded fishy. I deleted it without opening it and sent an e-mail to Mark Wheeler about it.

Mark just replied that it must be a phishing scam, that the SDC Membership Secretary does not send out solicitations like that.

Forewarned is forearmed. :mad: :cool: BP

Chris Pile
10-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Good to know, Bob. Thanks for the heads up.

Buzzard
10-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the warning Bob. Just received my new issue yesterday (may have been in the box for a few days), so good to know what these idiots are up to now. Has anybody opened it to see what they are looking for?
Bill

E. Davis
10-15-2014, 01:49 PM
I got the same scam call a few months back concerning my RIDER motorcycle subscription. They want to handle the subscription fee and pose as an agent for the magazine. I'm guessing if you sent them the money you wouldn't see it or your magazine subscription again. I notified RIDER and they confirmed it was a scam and they have no subscription agents working for them.

raprice
10-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Bob. Much appreciateted.
Rogt

Xcalibur
10-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Old scam, been around with many mags for years... simply gone digital it seems, like everything else.

52hawk
10-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Maybe it needs to be be mentioned to newer members: when it IS time to renew your membership,you will receive a letter in the mail,with a renewal form to fill out.Also a provision to pay by check or credit card.

BobPalma
10-16-2014, 07:53 PM
:) That's a good reminder in Post #7, Bob; thanks. :!: :cool: BP

wheelsm
10-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Just to clarify for everyone, we NEVER call members to renew their membership/subscription WITH ONE EXCEPTION: If your membership has lapsed, you MAY receive a phone call from Henry Votel. Henry is an SDC member who was hired by the SDC to contact lapsed members to encourage them to renew. Otherwise, all renewal notices are sent in the mail.

mch
12-09-2014, 07:52 PM
just read this older post, thanks for this information.
Mark

Lark Parker
03-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Just to clarify for everyone, we NEVER call members to renew their membership/subscription WITH ONE EXCEPTION: If your membership has lapsed, you MAY receive a phone call from Henry Votel. Henry is an SDC member who was hired by the SDC to contact lapsed members to encourage them to renew. Otherwise, all renewal notices are sent in the mail.

I shouldn't have renewed -- I would like to talk to Henry.:)

mnmfive
04-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Unbelievable!