PDA

View Full Version : Running boards

Chuckah
10-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Hello, I am looking to replace my running boards on my 1928 Cabriolet President eight. I thought I could save them but the wood is rotted out sround the bolt holes and have some cracked boards. The rubber mats are bad also. I have two questions. 1. What type and where can I get the correct lumber to replace my running boards. 2. Who makes a original running board rubber mat? Please e-mail me if you have any info.

rkapteyn
10-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Just Google 1928 Studebaker running board mat and get many vendors.

Robert Kapteyn

Chucks Stude
10-13-2014, 08:41 AM
The mats were not rubber, they were originally battleship linoleum IIRC.

rockne10
10-13-2014, 01:52 PM
I certainly hope you are a member of the Antique Studebaker Club, and receive the bi-monthly Antique Studebaker Review. http://theantiquestudebakerclub.com/

Shrock Brothers produce running board rubber covers but I see the oldest they are listing is for the '32 President. Still, they may be a good source for inquiring.

http://www.shrockbrothers.com/studebaker_reproduction_parts.html#covers

This may be one instance where you can find more info in Hemmings, or even general discussions or the Studebaker page on the AACA forum, as opposed to this dedicated Studebaker forum.

jclary
10-13-2014, 02:05 PM
As for wood...(me, not claiming to be a wood expert). If I were to seek a wood for your application, I would inquire about the type of wood used in bleachers. I think that most spectator type venues now use aluminum for bleacher seats. However, I have some wood that came from high-school bleachers. It is "clear" wood (meaning no knots), straight tight grained, and very tough. I got mine by trading some welding for a friend. It is great stuff and, in my opinion, would be excellent for your application. I used mine in building a chicken coupe. It has held up well in the weather for over five years.

Sam Ensley
10-13-2014, 10:19 PM
If the wood is going to be covered or painted, you could use a good quality of treated lumber like that used on decks, etc. Be sure to get wood that has been kiln dried before the pressure treatment.

mapman
10-13-2014, 10:32 PM
If the wood is going to be covered or painted, you could use a good quality of treated lumber like that used on decks, etc. Be sure to get wood that has been kiln dried before the pressure treatment.
Be careful about using treated wood as it is often lesser quality species, stored out in the weather and will crack and twist as it dries. I would look at a good hardwood such as oak or teak. Like was stated before use kiln dried lumber that is either clear of has only small knots.
Rob

Studebaker Wheel
10-14-2014, 01:29 AM
Originals were yellow pine covered with rubber mat (ribbed).

M15 Trucker
10-14-2014, 04:05 PM
If you want an NOS looking running board mat for youe 29 President try these guys, I think they can reproduce anyones running board mat. Take a look at the one they did for a 40 president. http://www.runningboardrubbermats.com/vintagerunningboards.html

studerex
10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
As Studebaker Wheel said the wood is southern yellow pine, with ribbed rubber mat and edge trim. You can get the trim from L&L. http://www.runningboardmetaltrim.com/images/L_L_Catalog_1_.pdf
You can get the factory blue print from the museum if in doubt. I did.

Chuckah
12-27-2014, 08:33 AM
That was great info and finding a place for the trim was great. You read my mind.

Chuckah
12-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Now that I have the running boards figured out. Where can I get some white wall tires 6.00/6.50 x 19 the ones I have are eight ply. I am not sure if they need to be that tough. I need six of them and would like for them to not cost as much as the car did new. Probable won't have any luck there. Please help.

rowan
12-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Remember that yellow pine milled in the 20s was virgin and was very dense and tight grained. Most Yellow pine today is farm raised and soft. You would be better off using ash or white oak for the natural anti-decay properties and toughness. IMHO. Coker, Diamond Black, Lucas and Universal tire cos to name a few can fix you up with proper tires.