PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever a Studebaker dealer that had your name?

Studebaker Wheel
10-13-2014, 01:58 AM
Interesting to know even if the owners were not directly related. Then once you find out it becomes a quest to find some small item from that dealership. I did!

rockinhawk
10-13-2014, 06:52 AM
38411Can't read the text due to the flash,but it reads:Thornton Motors Inc.
Studebaker
47th and Oak sts.-Abilene.

The fact that they used a Trowell is just icing on the cake,as I have spent most of my life as a Brickmason.

Stengl
10-13-2014, 06:59 AM
Yes, Stengl Motors, Marshfield Wi. My dad was a Studebaker dealer from 39 to 56. I do have a couple of items from the dealership and would be honered to have other things.

BobPalma
10-13-2014, 07:16 AM
'Not that anyone needs reminding, I'm sure:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/56comm2dr001_zps1b11e84d.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/56comm2dr001_zps1b11e84d.jpg.html)

:!: "My favorite little hot rod" of all the new Studebakers they sold for the 14 months Palma-Rhoads Motors Packard-Nash-Studebaker was in business in Paris IL. :cool: BP

kurtruk
10-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Came close with Zellsmann in Butler, Pa.See this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?50708-Butler-PA-license-topper

PackardV8
10-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Vines Motors in Bessemer, AL was a distant cousin; so distant he didn't give a teenage kid a discount on parts.

He did sell a '64 R1 GT Hawk, which was wrecked within it's first year. I bought the tach from the wrecking yard, used it on my '56 Flight Hawk, later on a '66 Falcon V8 and still have it.

jack vines

jclary
10-13-2014, 11:29 AM
I have been told that some of my uncles had a Studebaker Dealership in Gaffney, S.C. sometime after WWII. I was born in 1944. We lived over 60 miles away from that town at the time. My dad was a long haul truck driver and gone for days at the time. Back then, even in the rural south, public transportation was common. Local trains, taxi, bus, and electric trolley, along with an occasional "borrowed" car is what I remember as modes of transportation in my early childhood. By the end of 1947, my parents had six kids and no car. I believe it was 1953 before we had a family car.

Therefore, in those years, I have little memory of those uncles, and certainly not of their business. By the time we had a car, and were able to make "family" visits...they had moved on and no longer had the dealership. I have only heard of their dealership from others, and very little detail. One of the uncles became a butcher for a grocer. Another, a home heating oil delivery driver, and another owned an Esso station until the interstate came through and diverted most of his traffic away. After that, he became a security officer at a manufacturing facility. I have a receipt book from the service station, but nothing from the Studebaker dealership.

Stu Chapman
10-13-2014, 12:31 PM
I've never checked to see if there was a Chapman Studebaker, but I do have a black/white photograph of Studebakers being delivered on a Chapman motor vehicle transport. I'll bet you have copies of this photos in your collection Richard

Stu Chapman

2R2
10-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Dick, is that an outhouse on the book of matches? Quite an interesting piece of artwork for a car dealership to use!

jclary
10-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Dick, is that an outhouse on the book of matches? Quite an interesting piece of artwork for a car dealership to use!

Perhaps, an "Outhouse" to you...but, for many of us..."The Library!";):)

j.byrd
10-13-2014, 02:29 PM
jclary....HA !!! Yeah, and my grandmothers was a "public" library, as it was a "two-holer" as we called it. This is not a good memory though, ha !

63larkr1
10-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Poe Motors
Richard

Deaf Mute
10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Ben Wenberg has paperwork from his Grandpa's Studebaker dealership in the UP of Michigan & he has donated two trophies that his Grandpa had won to the SNM. They are sometimes on rotating display there. He also donated a neon sign from the dealership to the Iowa 80 Trucking Museum in Walcott, Iowa

Studebaker Wheel
10-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Poe Motors
Richard

Richard; That's great. I have hundreds and hundreds of dealer promo items etc so if you are looking for one with you family name on it let me know and if it turns up during the normal course of my research I will email it. .

57pack
10-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Sorry to say there is no Studebaker dealers with my last name.
Found a few GM dealers with my name is Mass, and Maine.
My wife Maryann wants to become a member of the Maryann Club though!

Jeff_H
10-13-2014, 07:34 PM
My surname is not all that common and so far as I know there have never been any car dealers with that name. As close as it gets maybe this:

The red circled notices both appeared on the same page of the Oswego Valley News (NY state) on April 12, 1966. I included a later 1968 ad for Hopman's Service station.

Nicholas Hopman (1912-2003) was actually a 2nd cousin of my grandfather. I doubt they even knew of each others existence. Their grandfather's were brothers who came from Holland at different times and lived in different states. Nicholas' father moved to the Fulton, NY area from Illinois in the 1920s. The other brother (my g-g-grandfather) lived in MN. I found out about him in doing genealogy research.

Interesting the Dodge dealer was doing parts and warrantee for Studebaker right after Hamilton shut down.

PlainBrownR2
10-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Regarding my last name, maybe, maybe not. Clark is a pretty common name, and if I looked hard enough, I could probably find a Studebaker dealership that had it. Would it be related to me? I couldn't say, because there's sooooo many of us running around. BUT, as I'm related to the Knous's, I may have some possible relatives under the Knous moniker(large family name in that area), and they have a 3rd generation dealership in Petersburg, IL that sold Buicks, Studebakers, and then Dodge products after Studebaker closed. The dealership even still exists today selling Chrysler products.

http://knousmotors.com/

http://knousmotors.com/about.htm

Greenstude
10-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Alain Perron-Grondin of the Atlantic Canada Chapter has the same surname as Grondin Automobiles, the Studebaker dealership in Thetford Mines, Québec, Canada, which was owned by his uncle, Yvon Grondin.

Stu Chapman
10-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Alain Perron-Grondin of the Atlantic Canada Chapter has the same surname as Grondin Automobiles, the Studebaker dealership in Thetford Mines, Québec, Canada, which was owned by his uncle, Yvon Grondin.

There are two surviving 1964 Studebaker Daytona convertibles sold by Grondin Automobiles, one owned by Alain Perron-Grondin mentioned in post 18 and the other previously owned by Ginette Grondin and now owned by a Mr. Whittaker in Ottawa ON. Interesting that both cars went to Grondin family members and still exist.

Stu Chapman

Mark57
10-14-2014, 03:01 PM
After I had purchased my '66 Commander last year, I obtained a copy of the Production Order and learned that it had been shipped to "Mark's Motors" in Portland, Oregon before it was sold "new" to its first owner from the "Studebaker Center" in Seattle, Washington. :)

Studebaker1962
10-14-2014, 03:55 PM
My last name is Studebaker but I never owned a dealer. 3rd cousin 5 times removed from Clement Studebaker.

Does that count.....?

Jim Studebaker

jclary
10-14-2014, 04:13 PM
My last name is Studebaker but I never owned a dealer. 3rd cousin 5 times removed from Clement Studebaker.

Does that count.....?

Jim Studebaker

Hey Jim, according to the original post of this thread...the inquiry was simply a dealership with your last name. If this was a contest...you'd probably win...They all had your name!!!:!!::cheers:

Roscomacaw
10-14-2014, 04:27 PM
My last name is truly uncommon. It only came to be when my grandad's real name was butchered at Ellis Is.. So, no dealer connection is even possible - unless the many I've sold thru the years counts. I do have a letter from my grandma to my dad when he was serving Unca Sam in WWII. In that letter she allows as how grandpa Pete (my grandpa) had considered buying a '30-something Studebaker sedan.

Mikado282
10-14-2014, 09:03 PM
I found one (last name) on another site under a listing of dealers. It is

Ray Gibbs Sales & Service, \ 181 King St. E\ Bowmanville, Ontario (also a SUNOCO service station.)

Probably not related but that part of my family has been in North America since at least the early 1700's.

Studebaker Wheel
10-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Regarding my last name, maybe, maybe not. Clark is a pretty common name, and if I looked hard enough, I could probably find a Studebaker dealership that had it. Would it be related to me? I couldn't say, because there's sooooo many of us running around. BUT, as I'm related to the Knous's, I may have some possible relatives under the Knous moniker(large family name in that area), and they have a 3rd generation dealership in Petersburg, IL that sold Buicks, Studebakers, and then Dodge products after Studebaker closed. The dealership even still exists today selling Chrysler products.

http://knousmotors.com/

http://knousmotors.com/about.htm

I bought some pre-war parts from Knous way back in the 70s. Really surprised to see they are still in business. This gas mileage calculator below is a souvenir from my visit.

Bullet
10-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I am with mark57. Nothing with my last name, but I do have a partial license plate frame with mark's motors Portland

Mark
Aka Bullet

PlainBrownR2
10-14-2014, 11:20 PM
I bought some pre-war parts from Knous way back in the 70s. Really surprised to see they are still in business. This gas mileage calculator below is a souvenir from my visit.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38479&d=1413335815&thumb=1 (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38479&d=1413335815)

Neat! On the same note, I'm surprised that there's some of those sorts of items that are still floating around from down there. I have one myself, and that's the '55 Commander from the Studebaker dealer that was in Beardstown, IL. :cool:

Anyway, the story of how he is still around, kinda hinges on the area itself. He's a 3rd generation dealership owner in those parts. His family was selling cars when there were 3-4 dealers per town. The families of the dealers knew everybody in town, so they're a pretty big part of the community. If there's an issue, the community would do their best to help him out, because if he goes, and there's no other dealerships left, that means the residents would have to drive a fair distance to get a vehicle, such as to Beardstown or Springfield, and there are folks living there are not able to do that very easily. Add to that, his last name is a large part of the region, as everybody is related to everybody else down there, so that also makes him a well known individual in the area. Just like other dealers though, he has also had to diversify into other makes to stay in business. Originally he had Buicks, then they went to Studebakers, and then they went to Dodge products, before ending up with the current Chrysler products. He's also had to contend with dealers going under, disappearing or consolidating over the years. They originally had 3-4 dealers in town for various makes, and I think in Petersburg, he said that he's the only one left. If he goes, just like in other communities around that area, a part of an already disappearing community would go with him. Hopefully that should explain it a bit. He also appeared in Springfield's State Journal-Register in December 2008 when Chrysler was having it's problems, and did a better job of explaining his situation than I could. Here's link to the article:

http://www.sj-r.com/article/20081204/News/312049860

What he also did was go to the IL representatives and ask to consolidate some of the dealerships in the area, and tell them how important they were to the community. He knew that it was going to be a tough sell, because much of that money already went to the financial markets. He's also had his issues too when it came to dealing with people at the automotive top. In one instance, when Dodge came out with the Durango hybrids, they could only guarantee to send him one, and only one Dodge Durango hybrid vehicle for his showroom, and he had to turn it down. They could only guarantee just one Durango hybrid vehicle for his showroom, with no guarantees for any more vehicles. As he was a small dealership, he figured there was something of a money loss in having to educate the staff and getting the tooling to fix and maintain it, and he knew that he was going to lose money on the car just from all of that, so he refused it. As they say, think smarter, not harder! :cool:

To add in something else, one of the important thing that these smaller, rural dealerships rely on down there is a returning clientele. The owner of Knous Motors has had a long standing, returning personal customer base that's in town and from around the area for generations, so that's one of the biggest ways that they are able to stay in business for so long. I remember one story of another Chrysler dealer that came to Beardstown in 60's and 70's, that was from Springfield. They were going to instill the big city business model to how they sold cars. Unfortunately, they didn't last for more than a few months before they folded, because they didn't establish that personal customer base, nor did they set their pricing to the rural type of residents that lived in the area. People weren't going to buy from them if they were going to look their nose down at them, and if they didn't have the money for an expensive vehicle, they weren't going to purchase it. My '55 Commander is like that. It's a hardtop, but it's missing the "luxury items" that are on them these days, as there's no fog lights, side mirrors, backup lights, and the original colors were a white/gray interior panels, white and gray seats, rubber floor mats, and was a 259/3 spd with OD. We know who had it 2 owners before us, but compared to the '55 HT's running around these days, it fit the bill for where it came from, as it was definitely a no frills C/K. :)

8E45E
10-15-2014, 08:46 AM
After I had purchased my '66 Commander last year, I obtained a copy of the Production Order and learned that it had been shipped to "Mark's Motors" in Portland, Oregon before it was sold "new" to its first owner from the "Studebaker Center" in Seattle, Washington. :)

There was also a Mark Motors in Winnipeg. I posted the build sheet here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?45799-63-R2-Hawks/page2&highlight=regal+super

Craig

Xcalibur
10-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Since, according to google, no one else is ever found with my weird name... I doubt it. :lol::lol::lol:

Studebaker Wheel
10-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Thanks for that explanation re Knous in Petersburg. I am sure the guy I bought the parts from is gone by now. I do remember him telling me at the time that they had saved all their sales records. Wonder if they are still there?

PlainBrownR2
10-16-2014, 04:01 AM
Not a problem. Like I said, I had a large contingent of family in the area, so I have a little insight on how things worked down there over the last 60 years or so. I can tell ya that the area ain't what it used to be, meaning whatever rural activity and light industry that used to be there has dried up or disappeared over the past 30 years, so it's now boiled down to people that are left in poverty conditions that are just getting by on retail, Walmart, or the biggest industry in town positions, so to speak. But, they're a pretty good group of people in that area, who even though everybody is supposed to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, would still come together in a time of crisis and lend you a helping hand if they could! :)

Anyway, about the sales records. I think since he's the son of the elder Knous's he might be able to tell you something if you called over to his dealership and let him know what you're looking for. Just tell him who you are, when you were down there last, who you dealt with in regards to the prewar parts, and you have a Studebaker keychain of his, and he might be willing to help ya out. It's still a dealership that's still been in the same family, so he might be able to tell you if or what has happened to the records, and it sounds like it hasn't traded hands a few times yet like the one in Beardstown has, so there might be a shot that they may still be intact. :)

63larkr1
10-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Richard; That's great. I have hundreds and hundreds of dealer promo items etc so if you are looking for one with you family name on it let me know and if it turns up during the normal course of my research I will email it. .
Thanks Richard. That would be good, but don't go to any extra trouble.
Richard

Lou Van Anne
10-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Yup: Van Anne Implement Co., Rock Rapids Iowa...any one have anything from that dealership?

kirkdob
10-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Joe Pierotti (Jos Pierotti and Company) Oakland CA was my grandfather. He died around 1970.
I'm still driving his car pictured below.

rockne10
10-21-2014, 12:16 AM
With a last name like Johnson I suspect there were a few. If anyone knows of a Brad Johnson dealership, please let me know ! :D

Ron Dame
10-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Joe Pierotti (Jos Pierotti and Company) Oakland CA was my grandfather. He died around 1970.
I'm still driving his car pictured below.

My Champ came from Pierotti Motors in Fremont, CA.... any connection?

Ron Dame
10-21-2014, 05:26 PM
If there was any dealership of any make... or any business for that matter, with my last name, I'd really like to know.

showbizkid
10-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Unless anyone knows of a "Butthead Motors" anywhere, my name's never been on a dealership :D

kirkdob
10-21-2014, 11:27 PM
My Champ came from Pierotti Motors in Fremont, CA.... any connection?

Yes, Fremont location was owned by his nephew Hank Pierotti

rockne10
10-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Unless anyone knows of a "Butthead Motors" anywhere, my name's never been on a dealership :DI suspect there may have been a Bevis Motors ! :lol:

plwindish
10-22-2014, 02:57 PM
A younger brother to my grandfather had Windish Motors on Cherry ST in Galesburg IL until around the mid-later fifties. He and his son closed the dealership, moved to the Denver CO area and had an Oldsmobile and Winnebago dealership which eventually turned into Windish RV Sales and is still in operation today as an RV dealer, run, I believe, by a great grand daughter. There must not have been a "family discount" as I grew up in a Studebaker family. Dad always got his Studies from Associated Motors in Canton IL until breaking away from Studebaker and buying a 64 Chevy Impala.

stude1964
10-22-2014, 03:27 PM
YES! See the article in the September TW on Reese's Garage in Silverdale, PA. I do have a few pieces of advertising from my Uncle Al's dealership such as pens, bumper sticker, key fobs. My buddy found a matchbook from my grandfather's dealership from the late 30's/ early 40's at the York, PA. Keystone meet last year! I am putting together a '64 GT in his honor with his ORIGINAL dash plaque! I showed it to him a few months before he died and he was surprised that it was found. I told him that was one of the many benefits of being in SDC.
Rob in PA.

Batman
10-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Knoblock Brothers Studebaker-Packard Mercedes Benz, 164 Prospect Street, South River, NJ. Owned and operated by my father and his two brothers from 1949 (1950 model year) until the end. Then became a Dodge dealer, Knoblock Dodge. The key chain was a promo from 1956 and the keys on it are for my Sky Hawk custom. The leatherette document holder contains my registration and insurance papers.

Rich Knoblock (Batman)
Lawrenceville, GA386493865038651