Heater core replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Heater core replacement

I have been reading old posts about heater cores but need to find out if anyone has been successful in finding a core from some other kind of car on the market that will fit in the "box" under the passenger seat of my 62 GT Hawk. I tried out the heater in the car I bought recently and it heated the interior but a a little mist was coming up between the console and the bucket seat. A local core repairman who has repaired radiators for me in the past says, depending on the problems found it could cost from $40 to $70. He guarantees his work. Any comments?
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Sounds like you found a good shop. I cant think of any repair shop today willing to do anything for as little as $40.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Schedule the appointment this morning.
      Dan

Comment

I agree. A good radiator shop will make it like new and then you know it will fit.

Comment

The last heater core I had done cost over 300
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It was $85.00 here in tree hugging Washington, you got a Deal!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The last one I had to deal with was a couple of years ago. I tried to get it repaired, but the repairman said honeycombs are nearly impossible to repair. He hooked me up with a new, modern re-core....for around $300.

Comment

I had to get mine re-cored it cost me 250.00. The trouble with just fixing the leak is it will show up somewhere else soon. Then you may need to do this again. Mine was fine until I decided to flush the system then we had problems. I pressure checked it and thought I could use it but not the case.

Comment

...... got pretty much the same answer today on my '53 R6: leaks in several places @ 15 lbs pressure. New replacement is $179+ tax. Done in 2 days.....

Comment

Whatever you do, get a WRITTEN QUOTE! I made the mistake of a verbal quote and trusted the shop. I ended up with a bill twice the amount originally agreed on. I'll never recommend/trust that shop again!!! Neal

Comment

Quick! Check this post...http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...at-heater-core

KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

can someone give me the dimensions of the Hawk heater core? The big cost is if you stay with the cellular core as original. But switching to the modern tube and fin can get the cost way down.
                        sigpic
                        JohnP, driving & reviving
                        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
                          can someone give me the dimensions of the Hawk heater core? The big cost is if you stay with the cellular core as original. But switching to the modern tube and fin can get the cost way down.
                          Yep,
                          It cut mine all the way down to around $300

Comment

I am going to research current production heater cores (when I know what dimensions to search) and while not a direct fit, I can put heat-resistant foam around it to hold it in the "box" and save a ton of cash. There are literally hundreds of different sizes out there, something is bound to be close enuf.
                            sigpic
                            JohnP, driving & reviving
                            60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
                              I am going to research current production heater cores (when I know what dimensions to search) and while not a direct fit, I can put heat-resistant foam around it to hold it in the "box" and save a ton of cash. There are literally hundreds of different sizes out there, something is bound to be close enuf.
                              I think you're right on target here...Replacement heater core manuals list dozens of cores that would fit into the floor box...brand new.. With adapter fittings they can be made to work well for reasonable $$$$$!

Comment

Working...
                              X