Why is it that................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that................

This is not a putdown to every/anyone that answers questions on this or other forums....this is a question or something to ponder, to everyone.

Why is it that when many/most people answer questions...they just blurt out...JUST the basic answer ?

Think about it. If a person is asking a question, they don't - 1. know the answer (!), 2. they don't have enough "background" information/knowledge to formulate their own answer from past experience.

So, as a basic courtesy to that person and others, that read the given post, would it not be very helpful to also provide a little background information, and/or information that would go WITH the answer information as to "why" one is providing this answer vs. another answer.

While I don't always do this, I do try to. It gives the questioner a "little" more information to be able make his/her slightly more informed decision. Also, I understand that some questions are more of a cut and dry type answer and don't require much background.

A good question that seems to come up often...is gear ratios.
    Rather than just say..."I think you should use a 5.57 ratio", and STOP there...with NO reason WHY...you are suggesting that 5.57 ratio, is actually somewhat useless to the person asking the question. Why...."exactly"...why are you telling me to use a 5.57 ratio rather than a 5.38 ratio ? What is it going to do vs. another ratio...or just..."why".

Provide some basic background information as to "why.." you are suggesting the 5.57 ratio rather than the 5.38.
    While it may seem obvious to you, to the original poster....it isn't.

Mike

Mike, those are good points. I'm not too good with those ratios, either. Maybe someone could come up with some Studebaker apps that people can download to help decide some of these things (for those that aren't motorheads).

I'm not technically savvy enough to fall into the pattern you describe regarding answers!
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Along the same line, why is it that people ask questions without providing any background. Like... "I need to replace the carburetor." They never explain what brought them to that decision, or how inadequate their troubleshooting skills are. When we pry, it finally comes out that something else entirely is the problem and the carburetor is fine, or probably was fine before they took it apart.

So it goes both ways. Some of it could be the inherent limitations of the printed word and the hassle of typing out a full explanation, especially if one's typing skills fall into the hunt and peck category.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Good point Mike! I try to answer questions with more info that the direct answer, but I can also get long winded. Too much info can cause confusion (which some of the answers I've seen cause anyway), so getting the right additional info is important. As Scott said, technical knowledge is different for every individual, so I try to use the KISS method in my explanations. I'm not well versed in certain areas as others, so I have questions also. Bill

Comment

Time!

The oppposite to this, that bothers me, is when I and others reply to a question, often the original poster does not return to the topic with the result or at least a thank you.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
            Why is it that when many/most people answer questions...they just blurt out...JUST the basic answer ?
            In many instances, the question may have been asked previously and someone won't elaborate on it a second time.

In that case, I will usually post the link to the previous thread(s) with a simple 'Answered here:' preceding it. That way, one can usually find a more thorough explanation if the same question was asked before. I find the search tool works very well on this Forum.

Craig

Comment

Although my knowledge and skill set are relatively limited, I'm afraid I'm one of those who is often guilty of just answering the question, and then moving on. I do agree with Mike that such a response often doesn't really satisfy the questioner, especially if they are relatively ignorant of Studes (or old cars in general). That said, I have sometimes been made to look like a doofus when I added a bunch of additional explanatory data -- only to learn that the original poster actually knew more about the subject matter than I did -- he really did just want a specific answer to a narrow question.

Those of us who answer questions here could do a better job if they provided more background info, as Roy suggests. All too often I have to include a bunch of caveats in order to not insult the questioner by either treating them like a newby or assuming too much knowledge.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I think
                1:most people read to fast
                2: skipp the answes that has already been given.

For example, I asked some questions lately about my intake manifold problem & some answers go like "check your heads for leakage" when I stated in my first post/question that I had no power on the two inner cylinders on one side & the two outer cylinders on the other side...
                Wouldn't that make one think?

Mostly I think #2 (skip'n earlier answers) is the most comon.

Comment

I'm kind of a stickler for a good header...
                  Just so it can be searched and found easier in the future.

Ties in with asking a good question.
                  How many questions have been asked a hundred times, but you can't fid the question in a simple search.

Yesterday's heat riser question is a good example.
                  The header (and the question) mention heat riser, but not the engine type (a Champ 6 cyl).
                  And a year from now, the same question will come up and get asked again.

That's OK......
                  My late father taught me that there is no such thing as a dumb question.....but there is such a thing as a dumb answer.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I certainly agree that many responders apparently have not read the threads answers to the original question ,
                    or thoroughly read the original post if it is fairly long , and just respond to the headline .
                    Also , the Thread title is often too short , or to clever , or too general to adequately describe the gist that's intended .
                    As far as search ability , we should be putting tags on our original posts , so that they'll
                    be more easily found . I've put tags on some of mine , but often have not remembered to .
                    I've been guilty of all of these .
                    Bill H
                    Daytona Beach
                    SDC member since 1970
                    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

I'm new around here, but as a regular on some other car forums, the thing that drives me crazy is when someone comes in asking for help ("My car won't stay running!") and they get several detailed responses outlining the things that might be causing the problem ("1. No Fuel, 2. No Air, 3 No Spark).

But then they never bother to come back and write a couple lines to let everyone know what the problem turned out to be. It would be so nice to know if the advice given was correct, and it would make the thread so much more useful to the next guy who tries to search for the same problem.
                      ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

Comment

Well...this is an "open" group of forums. The only requirement to participate is to merely "register." Some of you guys were "at it" for quite some time before I discovered the venue. I love it. As I have stated before, I compare it to a continuous "camp fire." Back in my horse riding days, we would gather deep in the Appalachian mountains, fifteen miles from pavement in any direction. First person there, after tending to his horse, would establish the "camp fire." As folks arrived, got settled...sooner or later...they would wander into the camp fire gathering. If we were not riding horses, we were talking horses, or telling horse stories.

Just like here, there are some, more knowledgeable than others, some personable, others edgy. My best friend ( a veterinarian ), discussing horse health, training, proper care, probably has always carried the same kind of credibility as Ted Harbit would regarding drag racing. And...like any gathering of humans, there was always one or two folks full of themselves. Those who "knew everything" and demanded to be praised for it.

There would be some, otherwise nice folks, who might be nipping on sippin' sauce, that could loosen them up and bring out their "jerk factor."

In my younger days, I probably played multiple roles in various camp fire scenes. Some more loveable and entertaining than others. There were some who seemed to push my buttons and made me angry or upset. (never happens here...right?) As I got older, I began to relax. I quit taking the group, and the conversation, too serious. I think I became comfortable in my own skin. Don't know when it happened, but it just did. That was when I learned to really have a good time with the folks. My attitude changed. The ones who once irritated me, now, mostly amused me. My campfire conversations changed from having the fastest, smartest, or prettiest horse, to just stories of past adventures, great fellowship, or upcoming events.

My Studebaker experience has had a similar path. Although I might wander into this "camp fire" as loud as anybody, I can assure you that I have no "bone to pick" with anybody. Just like my horse friends, this group has the diversity of personalities found in most "interest groups." Unlike the real "Camp Fire" this one is always available. I believe it works best when we relax and don't take ourselves "too seriously."

It's like the newbie who registers, poses a problem, asks for help, and never posts again. We never know if his problem was solved, if he got useful information, or appreciated those who responded to his problem. Well...that's on him. I'd like to know, but I refuse to take the lack of feedback serious enough for it to dampen my spirit. Some of you know tons more than I do on many subjects. I appreciate you for that, because sharing here has enriched me.

This thread started out with "Why is it that"....Well, it's a "forum." It is not a panel of "experts," although there are "experts" here. It is not a "Board of Wordsmiths." But there are some very articulate "wordsmiths" among us.

My answer to "why is it that..." 'cause it's us.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If I haven't said it before... Thank you all for not only helping build my truck with your experience and knowledge but helping learn about Studebaker and loving another party of American history!

Before this I was stuck on the traditional American classics; mustang's, gto's, corvette's, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 57transtar guy View Post
                            If I haven't said it before... Thank you all for not only helping build my truck with your experience and knowledge but helping learn about Studebaker and loving another party of American history!

Before this I was stuck on the traditional American classics; mustang's, gto's, corvette's, etc.
                            Yep,
                            And now you have one of the nicest, most drive-able Transtars on the planet. My old friend, Lester Schmitt was a little ahead of you in driving his "million mile" 1957 Transtar though. He was a major Studebaker parts vendor, and regularly commuted from So-Cal to the east coast in his truck, usually hauling and towing simultaneously. He literally drove it 1,000,000 miles before totaling it due to brake failure (single reservoir master cylinder). In no time at all, he was rolling again in another Transtar though. That one was a 1958, and he installed a Turner dual MC in t from the get-go.

Les once told me he went through a half dozen 289s, but the original T85 transmission was still going strong when he wrecked it.

R.I.P. to Les., and happy motoring to you

Comment

I provide more than I should, on too many occasions, and have to limit myself otherwise I could go on for days. For me then, it is a problem I have to contend with every time I answer a question, that is to make it shorter than it wants to be. I have found over the past few weeks I even delete my answers so others can make a brief reply. After spending half an hour putting together a reply that would seem appropriate I delete it because I feel like I over explain. That said I agree. I have been working on my home alarm system over the past few weeks and some of the forums assume I know all about the subject and give me a one line answer and that just leaves me no further ahead.

Len.

Maybe I should just delete this as it's too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X