PDA

View Full Version : 55 Commander Steering Wheel

ken-renda
10-09-2014, 05:38 PM
A new member of our local multi-make club came over yesterday. He had just bought a 55 Commander and said the steering wheel popped off while be was coming back from DMV. He asked that I fix it. In all of the restorations I have done, no steering wheel was easy to take off or put back on. His wheel would pop off under pressure of the spring under the wheel and when tightened back down, the wheel would rub against the steering post cover and the turn signal would not work. Cosmetically is a very nice car, but I wonder if it has the correct wheel or correct steering post. No steering wheel should just pop off like it did. Has anyone experienced this? Ken, Deltaville, Va

52-fan
10-09-2014, 06:26 PM
How can the steering wheel pop off with the nut in place? I have never seen a steering wheel that had been installed very long come off easily. I would suspect some incorrect, or incorrectly installed, parts.

Dwain G.
10-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Does this car have Saginaw power steering?

ken-renda
10-09-2014, 07:33 PM
How can the steering wheel pop off with the nut in place? I have never seen a steering wheel that had been installed very long come off easily. I would suspect some incorrect, or incorrectly installed, parts.

When he first called he said there was no nut; when I took the plastic horn button off the nut and a broken lock plate fell out. One flange on the lock plate sheared off, he is ordering new one. Ken

ken-renda
10-09-2014, 07:34 PM

No power steering, stick shift (if that makes any difference). Ken

Nox
10-10-2014, 04:53 AM
I wouldn't be surprised that if you google "Studebaker steering" or something similar & click on images you'd be able to se some part-picture & figure out what's missing or replaced with wrong part/parts.
Seen that kinda stuff before & had it happened to me also.

ken-renda
10-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Dwain, check PM, Ken

warrlaw1
10-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Almost always need a puller to get it off the first time. There's a little brass cup in there for the horn contact that usually gets demolished if you use a puller. The signal light switch is vulnerable, too, if all the parts aren't there. Then there's the rubber pad under the horn button that can disintegrate or get as hard as a hockey puck, depending on its age and exposure. I think the chassis parts catalogue has a blow up diagram.