Zip Van Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Van Thoughts

Back in my old neighborhood in East Dallas, TX before I knew what a Zip Van was there was this kid terrorizing the neighborhood in his flooring it back & forth to the local shops oe whatever in the neighborhood streets.
    It used to irritate me because I couldnt identify it and it was all in black primer. I just thought it was something he brought back from Mexico. Well after picking up old issues of the TW and visiting the mueseum in S. Bend. I've changed my demeaner now I know what that was.
    I bet I could buy that off of him for next to nothing but my question is would it be worth it?? I now live in a smaller city in the Dakotas so the use would be great for the loads around here but is there anyone here I could talk to offline on the subject?
    I have a few more questions but will save them for who ever responds.

P.S. We visited SASCO and the small staff there was very helpful and polite. The buildings (what's left) are amazing. As soon as I get my parts book I can't wait to do more business with them as well as the other vendors keeping our parts available and expanding the availabilty.

Ches in So.Dakota
    55 Commander Coupe in parts.

Two questions Ches:

1.) How long ago was it this kid was driving around terrorizing your old neighborhood ...a year or so ago? ...a decade ago? ...longer?

2.) Are you positive it was a Studebaker Zip Van? Over the years there have been other makes that looked similar.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Two questions Ches:

1.) How long ago was it this kid was driving around terrorizing your old neighborhood ...a year or so ago? ...a decade ago? ...longer?

2.) Are you positive it was a Studebaker Zip Van? Over the years there have been other makes that looked similar.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Thanks for the fast post.
        it was one year exact when I saw it last (we moved) but I saw it for over 4 years.
        Im sure that is what it was because of the indention (vent?) inverted bevel that runs across the front under the windshield.

Ches in So.Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the fast post.
          it was one year exact when I saw it last (we moved) but I saw it for over 4 years.
          Im sure that is what it was because of the indention (vent?) inverted bevel that runs across the front under the windshield.

Ches in So.Dakota

Comment

We have a member in our chapter here in Omaha who has a very nice restored example of a zip van that he restored himself.He would probably be able to answer your questions. If interested e-mail me through my profile and I'll give you his phone number Ches.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

We have a member in our chapter here in Omaha who has a very nice restored example of a zip van that he restored himself.He would probably be able to answer your questions. If interested e-mail me through my profile and I'll give you his phone number Ches.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Remember that driving it is like trying to push a sofa through water. It came equipped with the 170 CID OHV 6 coupled to an auto transmission so it is not loaded with power. They are geared low too, Matthew's family restored the one in the museum. On the other hand, you could give it the "Mysterious Project Z" treatment and have another whole animal. [}]

Comment

Remember that driving it is like trying to push a sofa through water. It came equipped with the 170 CID OHV 6 coupled to an auto transmission so it is not loaded with power. They are geared low too, Matthew's family restored the one in the museum. On the other hand, you could give it the "Mysterious Project Z" treatment and have another whole animal. [}]

Comment

I think that van would actually be of good use here in Sioux Falls with all the 1 to 3 mile deliveries and the set ups we do at the convention center. I left a message with the Omaha chap but could someone post an idea as to the number of zip vans in existance today or is there a registry? (Edited to add: Are there only 5 or less or more than 20 for example)
                    I would like to know total production but I think I can find that on my own.. We'll see.
                    Im guessing this one is rust free so I am looking forward to getting down to dallas to make the kid an offer if he still has it.

Ches in So.Dakota

Comment

I think that van would actually be of good use here in Sioux Falls with all the 1 to 3 mile deliveries and the set ups we do at the convention center. I left a message with the Omaha chap but could someone post an idea as to the number of zip vans in existance today or is there a registry? (Edited to add: Are there only 5 or less or more than 20 for example)
                      I would like to know total production but I think I can find that on my own.. We'll see.
                      Im guessing this one is rust free so I am looking forward to getting down to dallas to make the kid an offer if he still has it.

Ches in So.Dakota

Comment

Certainly, there's at least 20 of these still around (probably more) in various conditions. SASCO still has some parts unique to them, so that would be a plus.
                        I've been trying to find figures on Zip Vans - seems there were in the neighborhood of 2000 built, maybe less.

Gary, you've TRIED this: Pushing a sofa thru water???[8]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Certainly, there's at least 20 of these still around (probably more) in various conditions. SASCO still has some parts unique to them, so that would be a plus.
                          I've been trying to find figures on Zip Vans - seems there were in the neighborhood of 2000 built, maybe less.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                            Bob,

It was a long day and I had just gotten home when I posted this. In my meager attempt to come up with an analogy, this is the best I could do. I never have tried such a stunt and my atrophied brain can't conjure up a better example. HELP!!!!

Decimal Dude (but stumbling over words here)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                              Bob,

It was a long day and I had just gotten home when I posted this. In my meager attempt to come up with an analogy, this is the best I could do. I never have tried such a stunt and my atrophied brain can't conjure up a better example. HELP!!!!

Decimal Dude (but stumbling over words here)

Comment

Working...
                              X