1963 lark transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1963 lark transmission

I have a wonderful 63 lark with the straight 6 and 3 speed on the column with out the over drive. It needs a new clutch and throw out bearings etc. I've asked around and couldn't find much out about where to get the parts if some one could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also if some one could tell me what kind of transmission a model number or something. Do I have any other options I heard that maybe a Chevy transmission could bolt up to it ? Would like to get the old lark back on the road.

Welcome to the forum.
    The gearbox should be a Borg-Warner T96. You should have a 8,5 " clutch. (My 63 Hawk GT has the same equipement) You'd better check onto the car. Maybe it had a tough life and lost some of its original parts. Most studebakers vendors have these parts. Sudebaker International is the largest supplier but there are many others.
    Best of luck.
    sigpic

Comment

Where in Texas are you? There are a couple of vendors in Texas.

Comment

Thanks for the information that helps a lot ! I live about a hour and a half from Dallas

Comment

Call Bob Helm in Royce City, Texas. Phone no. 972-843-3402, or 214-364-9740. He's all things Studebaker.

Comment

William,
            WELCOME TO OUR FORUM !

Join the Studebaker Drivers Club for the monthly magazine Turning Wheels; that's your link to everything you will ever need. You should probably procure the original factory body and chassis catalogs from one of our great vendors. Original part numbers will guarantee you do not waste money on incorrect fits.

Join right here.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum William!

Your question about a Chevy Trans. can be answered simply NO.
              GM used GM Transmissions not Borg Warner as all of the Independent Auto Co's. and Ford and Chrysler did in the 1950's and into the '60's, so they do not fit Studebaker Clutch Housings and Engines.

Your best bet is to join your Local SDC chapter, get to know some Members many of whom may have or know where to get a T-96 Borg Warner WITH Overdrive and the associated pieces needed for the conversion.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow thanks everyone all of this helps out a lot pic Click image for larger version

Name:	st.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1692379

Comment

I would like to thank everyone on here for there info. I now have my lark up and going strong as of yesterday seriously thank y'all!

Comment

Thanks for the follow up, but what did you do?

Comment

You're welcome.
                      Thanks for keeping us posted. It's always nice to see a problem solved and one more Studebaker on the road.
                      Nice day to all.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                        Thanks for the follow up, but what did you do?
                        I was wondering the same thing because I also have a 63 Lark 6 with no overdrive.
                        I bought it to be a daily driver back in the late 70's, but I'd want an overdrive in my daily driver.

Comment

I got a throw out bearing and pilot bearing from Studebaker International which is a amazing site I must say they were friendly and answered any questions I had. I also subscribed to turning wheels. I found a shop about 25 minutes from where I live who was able to rebuilt the clutch and pressure plate. I didn't open up the gear box so far everything is going good. I also rebuilt the carburetor, put new brakes on, master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Next in line is upper and lower control arm bushings and shocks. And yes no overdrive sucks but I can live with it at 65-70 mph its maxed out.

Comment

65 to 75 is faster than I ever drive, even in my modern car, but my 63 Lark with no overdrive would really be screaming at that speed.

Comment

Yes that 65-70 MPH is way too fast for a OHV 6 with no Overdrive and 3.73 Ratio Rear Axle, if you do not stay closer to 55-60 or less, overheating and a cracked Cyl. Head will soon be the result.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X