Newport Hill Climb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newport Hill Climb

Just got back from the Newport Hill Climb in Newport Indiana. I heard there was over 300 cars there running the hill but I can not say for sure . The Studebakers did well again this year. I saw the Stude's get 3 first 2 seconds & 1 third. I was lucky enough to get a first. My class went 1 2 3 Studebaker . It is a really a fun event with half the town Arts & Crafts & flee market for the ladies and half the town Car show. The hill climb takes place starting at the Court House and running up the hill. It is held the first weekend in October every year.

Right, Wayne. I doubt that anyone is keeping count, but I am certain there were more Studebakers in competition this year than in any previous year. I'll bet there were at least 20 Studebakers.

I wasn't tracking things closely as it would be overwhelming, but I believe Phil Harris' 1939 President was the oldest Studebaker there. Here is Phil attacking the hill on his Officially Timed run:

He turned 33.67 on that run. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Actually Bob there was a '24 Special Six touring which was the oldest Studebaker present. See image #1. A few others are shown in the additional photos. Believe your estimate of 20 is pretty close. One photo below taken just to show the variety. I noted Fire trucks, motor cycles, other heavy duty trucks (including a six wheel Fargo), lots of Crosleys, an Austin Bantam, Willys Jeeps, Hupmobile, a '31 Cadillac V8 and almost everything else you can imagine. By the way the cars run up the hill one at a time but are lined up four abreast for staging. The last photo shows class record holder Kevin Knoepfel and his wife with their '41 Champion Coupe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	029 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1692340Click image for larger version

Name:	064 copy.jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1692341Click image for larger version

Name:	071 copy.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1692342Click image for larger version

Name:	073 copy.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1692343Click image for larger version

Name:	066 copy.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1692344Click image for larger version

Name:	007 copy.jpg
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1692345
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        Actually Bob there was a '24 Special Six touring which was the oldest Studebaker present. See image #1. A few others are shown in the additional photos. Believe your estimate of 20 is pretty close. One photo below taken just to show the variety. I noted Fire trucks, motor cycles, other heavy duty trucks (including a six wheel Fargo), lots of Crosleys, an Austin Bantam, Willys Jeeps, Hupmobile, a '31 Cadillac V8 and almost everything else you can imagine. By the way the cars run up the hill one at a time but are lined up four abreast for staging. The last photo shows class record holder Kevin Knoepfel and his wife with their '41 Champion Coupe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38227[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38228[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38229[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38230[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38232[/ATTACH]
        Ah-Ha! Right, Richard; and the gentleman that owned the Special Six Touring also had another late-20s Studebaker, right; a President sedan? Black & Blue in color, high and stately, parked in line right in front of the Special Six (picture below).

Before the day got too far out, I just sat down (early Tuesday morning) and listed as many different Studebakers in Hill Climb competition as I could remember this year. I came up with a solid 20 confirmed (not an estimate), and I am willing to bet I missed a couple. Easily the greatest number of Studebakers ever, although we sure missed Dale McPhearson. Maybe next year, Dale, and Phil and Rousch can run off the two black '39 Presidents.

Here's a few more pictures:

The 1924 Special Six Touring Richard Referenced:

The '24's owner's late '20s President:

Left to right: Phil Harris, Wayne Iseminger (OP of this thread), and Kevin Knoepfel.

232 Engine in Wayne's '51 Commander 4-door sedan:

(The Studebakers must've heard you were coming, Dick; and wanted to impress you.) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I was impressed! Somehow I missed the sedan! Do not believe it ran the hill?
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks for the report, Bob. I was kind of wondering how things were going. The first year I went there was maybe 4 or 5 Studebakers. I don't remember the year exactly but it was the year they shot the HOOSIERS movie.
            Undoubtedly Studebaker entries will grow some more as it gets some spreading publicity from the chapter newsletters.
            If I ever do it again I would expect stiff competition from the Studebaker ranks.
            Wayne I. must be one of the "regulars" now. One year I remember him asking me a question about his 51 Commander right after he had asked Ted Harbit the same question. Assuming there was a slight chance Ted might know how to make a stock 51 run I just told him to do whatever Ted advised.
            sigpic
            Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              Bob, I was impressed! Somehow I missed the sedan! Do not believe it ran the hill?
              That's a good question, Dick. The President sedan was right in front of the '23, directly in line and registered to run the hill. As you found out from attending, it is all but impossible to keep track of who did what, when, at the event, there is so much going on once they start running the hill.

However, I will verify this: The seismic shift the earth underwent today was not a result of Madrid Fault plate activity in nearby Missouri, it was what happened when Bob Palma saw and photographed a prewar Studebaker President at the event that Dick Quinn did not see! BP

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                Thanks for the report, Bob. I was kind of wondering how things were going. The first year I went there was maybe 4 or 5 Studebakers. I don't remember the year exactly but it was the year they shot the HOOSIERS movie.
                Undoubtedly Studebaker entries will grow some more as it gets some spreading publicity from the chapter newsletters.
                If I ever do it again I would expect stiff competition from the Studebaker ranks.
                Wayne I. must be one of the "regulars" now. One year I remember him asking me a question about his 51 Commander right after he had asked Ted Harbit the same question. Assuming there was a slight chance Ted might know how to make a stock 51 run I just told him to do whatever Ted advised.
                YOU WERE MISSED, Dale, but don't feel too bad; Ted didn't make it this year either. (I hope you can/will return with Rousch and your '39 before Phil Harris claims '39 President honors. 'Word on the street at Newport is that Phil is working on a secret '39 eight distributor with easily-understood adjustments!)

Hoosiers was mostly filmed in late 1985, with a little into 1986 so they could catch some cold snow scenes in Indiana. Here's one of many clippings I have in a file that was given to me by the family of one of the extras in the film who, sadly, died at a young age after appearing in the movie. Note the date; October 22, 1985:

Yes, Wayne Iseminger has become a regular in his '51. It runs good! And to confirm, I did document a minimum of 20 Studebakers running the hill this year. I'm sure there were a couple more.

Again, we missed you....especially in light of the fact that your "favorite" announcer passed away last year, so your primary source of -ahem- "amusement" at the event, no longer is. BP

Comment

I would like to take my '54 Conestoga next year...It is completely stock...Are there any safety modifications I would have to make ?

Comment

Originally posted by fstst56 View Post
                    I would like to take my '54 Conestoga next year...It is completely stock...Are there any safety modifications I would have to make ?
                    Nope, although simple lap seat belts are a good idea.

Everything you want to know is here, Johnny:

Please come! BP

Comment

Awesome! Just awesome!
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by fstst56 View Post
                        Pre-registering by mail is a really good idea if you expect to compete or show.

Don't expect to go there at the last hour and even make it in the gate in time to register.
                        When the town is full they shut down entries. Getting there an hour before "opening" is a pretty good idea if you expect to escape stress or register there. If you don't make it, don't say you weren't warned. Keep your windshield number card from last year so you can display and drive into town the next year and check in to get a new number. Otherwise : park, walk, register(maybe), walk back, drive into staging area to then get harassed that you didn't park in your class of which group you can't even reach at that late time.
                        sigpic

Comment

Here's a neat comparison to see how little things have changed in more than 100 years!

http://newporthillclimb.com/images/early/image_002.jpg

Click on the above link to see a circa 1909 Newport Hill Climb photo from a certain location up the hill.

Then compare it to my 2014 photo of Phil Harris running the hill in his '39 President:

The trees are a lot more plentiful now and the hill is paved, but you can clearly see it's the same place.

I didn't set out to do that, but was struck with how similar the photo locations are, and the direction in which each camera was pointing (north in both cases, looking down the hill.) Cool beans. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Again, we missed you....especially in light of the fact that your "favorite" announcer passed away last year, so your primary source of -ahem- "amusement" at the event, no longer is. BP
                            I outlived him -- I win.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is great to here more Studebaker are interested in coming. The more the better ! This was our 13th year and it has been a great time. My wife even rides with me witch is great. The great thing about the Stude people is how helpfull they are to each other. Dale I hope you can make it next year, you were missed!!!! The Meadow family was well represented this year but unfortunatly Cecile counld not make it this year because he is in rehab recovering from a stroke . Get well soon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X