Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has added directionals to a non-signal car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has added directionals to a non-signal car?

I would like to add directional lights to my 50 Champion. I find people do not pay close enough attention and are continually riding up on my rear end far to close for comfort when I am slowing to turn. People have no idea what hand signals mean anymore, and I keep getting a single finger hand gesture back when I use my arm to signal my turn. I think people automatically assume you are insulting them by using a hand signal these days. I was surprised today when an older gentlemen, who appeared to have been of driving age when these cars were new, was screaming and flailing his arms because I used a hand signal. I did some digging and found this directional switch available.

Click image for larger version

Name:	prd_1594.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1744830

But I am trying to figure out how to set it up. I saw there are LED lights available, but I cant see how they could be placed on the back of the car to not look tacky. Did the cars originally equipped with turn signals use the running lights? If so, would it make sense to tie in the add-on directional switch into those lights? If so has anyone done this, and what are the considerations to be aware of? I know being 6v positive ground can be a concern as to properly configuring the setup. If you have already solved this problem please help!

Thanks for any input!

I solve the light problem by drilling the original housing and installing a snap in bulb holder to accept the correct bulb. Several types of holders to select from to get a good fit. Good idea to use caulking or silicon to seal the holder after installation. Lamar

Comment

Thanks Lamar. That sounds like a decent solution. I suppose if I do drill the taillight and front park light housings I could even use LEDs so as not to worry about generating heat.

Comment

Should work great. Lamar

Comment

The 50 Champions have a provision for adding an extra bulb to the tail light housing to use as a turn signal and the front are easily modified for a turn signal. I put turn signals in a 50 Starlight coupe a couple of years ago and it was a relatively easy install. Bud

Comment

I added them to my 50 Commander also, did not have to run any new wires to the lights, had to change front bulbs from single to dual socket and added bulbs in the rear. I added the turn signal switch to the column, and added the turn sign indicator lights to the back of the speedometer. Was not a bad install. Used the wiring diagrams in the shop manual to add the turn signal switch and get it wired correctly
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I can see that you do not know that most cars used the Stop Light Filament of a Dual Filament Bulb and a dual contact socket for the Rear Turn Signals.

You could replace the sockets with Dual Contact Sockets or add the single contact Socket to the Tail Lights as the factory did.
              The Turn Signal/Parking Lights in Front will have to have the single contact Sockets replaced with dual Contact ones.

If your Car is 6 Volt Positive Ground I do not think you want to get into anything digital/LED, most are for 12 Volt Negative.

Also all 1947 to 1966 Studebakers have the dash Indicators (Arrows) built into the Speedometer or Instrument cluster already setup for Turn Signals.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Added turn signals to my 1947 Champion years ago. I had found a Studebaker factory accessory kit and easy to install.
                Decided to add turn signals when a young lady decided to pass me on the right while I was hand signaling a right hand turn! Like was stated previously, folks today have no idea about hand signals. The only one they know is a half of a peace sign.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks guys, great advice!
                  From what I am understanding from the contributors to this thread, I can simply add a single socket, or remove and replace the existing taillight socket and replace with a dual socket, and remove and replace the front light sockets and replace with dual sockets. I believe the wiring is already in place if I am reading the replies correctly? If so I would assume this means I will find a couple of unused wires under the dash meant for directional?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I can see that you do not know that most cars used the Stop Light Filament of a Dual Filament Bulb and a dual contact socket for the Rear Turn Signals.

You could replace the sockets with Dual Contact Sockets or add the single contact Socket to the Tail Lights as the factory did.
                    The Turn Signal/Parking Lights in Front will have to have the single contact Sockets replaced with dual Contact ones.

If your Car is 6 Volt Positive Ground I do not think you want to get into anything digital/LED, most are for 12 Volt Negative.

Also all 1947 to 1966 Studebakers have the dash Indicators (Arrows) built into the Speedometer or Instrument cluster already setup for Turn Signals.
                    On 1947 to 1949 Champions, the rear direction signal is a separate bulb from the brake/tail light bulb. The glass tail light lenses are marked "direction" and "tail". On the front, the solid horizontal chrome bars below the hood are replaced by bars containing the direction signal body. Was Studebaker the first U.S. car maker to make provision for direction signals? The steering column has a cam for cancelling the signal, and the front sheet metal has a cut-out to allow room for the direction signal body..
                    Bill Jarvis

Comment

The 50 used a separate bulb for the rear turn signal. The turn signal switch on a stock 50 does not have the additional circuitry to allow the brake light filament to double as a turn signal. Adding a new socket to the rear light is the proper and easiest way to go.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X