New Shifter for Our '64 Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: New Shifter for Our '64 Hardtop

I finally got tired of the vague shifting on our 4 speed trans so I decided to upgrade the factory shifter to a Hurst Competition Plus. The Comp Plus shifts great but I really didn't like how it looked with the rest of the stock interior. I spent this weekend grafting the lever off the stock shifter onto the Hurst shifter. It came out pretty nice. The ball is about an inch or so higher but it looks stock and it allows me to keep the stock boot and trim ring. Now it shifts great and looks great. It is amazing how much better the Hurst shifter feels.

Now I need to hunt down a twin trac unit for the Dana 44. Always another project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1744806Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1744807Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1744808Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1744809Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1744810Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1744811
    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona Hardtop
    1962 Champ Truck
    1957 Golden Hawk

Nice work, Neil! I too, am ready to get a Hurst unit as the stock one always seems to need adjusting or repair. How does it shift now compared to before??? Inquiring minds want to know....and I need a project for this winter!

Comment

Neil, look for a dodge diplomat police car, they have a dana 44 with limited slip, 10x3 drums and a 5 on 5.5 pattern....

Comment

Ditto on the Hurst shifters. You'll never want to go back to the slushy shifting of the stock unit. I've had one on my 4 speed for decades. Still as crisp as the day I installed it.
        sals54

Comment

Bruce,

The change from the stock shifter to the Hurst was huge. I had spent a lot of time welding and grinding on the stock shifter to minimize clearances but it didn't help much. I wanted to keep the stock look of the shifter lever so I found a Comp Plus unit that had a welded, one piece lever instead of the bolt on style. That let me graft on the stock lever a lot closer to the pivot point and it kept everything under the stock boot. There were too many times when I wasn't certain I was in gear using the stock shifter. There is no issue at all with the Hurst shifter. It is well worth the effort to put one in.
          Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Daytona Hardtop
          1962 Champ Truck
          1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Neil,
            Do you have the Hurst part number for the shifter you used? Did you buy an installation kit with it? I was just going to order a Hurst shifter for my 63 GT Hawk with T-10 4-speed when I saw this post. I like the idea of keeping it stock looking.
            Thanks,
            Cliff
            54 Commander Coupe driver
            53 Commander Hardtop project
            SE Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by nwi-region-rat View Post
              Neil, look for a dodge diplomat police car, they have a dana 44 with limited slip, 10x3 drums and a 5 on 5.5 pattern....
              I thought the MOPAR pattern for the Diplomat platform was 5 on 4.5", same as the Studebaker.
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Man, that is nice work. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Those Hurst shifters really are 'top shelf'....and I really like the look of the stock shift lever!

Comment

Cliff,

Attached is a great article on Hurst Competition Plus shifters from Turning Wheels. It has numbers for kits with the bolt on shifter lever. I was worried I wouldn't be able to weld on the stock lever low enough to one of these to fit everything under the stock shifter boot. So I used the interchange listed to find a used shifter that had a one piece shifter lever. I cut the Hurst lever off below floor level and ground a notch into it to nest the Studebaker lever. I tack welded it together and made small adjustments until it fit nicely. I don't doubt the bolt on style could be modified but the one piece lever was easy to work with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TW Shifter.jpg
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1692352
                    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop
                    1962 Champ Truck
                    1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                      I thought the MOPAR pattern for the Diplomat platform was 5 on 4.5", same as the Studebaker.

It is, my mistake...sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by t1003nl View Post
                        Cliff,

So I used the interchange listed to find a used shifter that had a one piece shifter lever.
                        Neil,
                        I've new at working with these shifters and don't know how to identify them. Can you help? I can't find an interchange to help identify the used shifters I see on eBay. There are lots of shifters listed but the sellers usually don't list what car/transmission they fit. The only identifiable used (or new) ones that I see with a welded on stick say they are for a 65-69 Mustang.
                        Cliff
                        SE Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by t1003nl View Post
                          Bruce,

The change from the stock shifter to the Hurst was huge. I had spent a lot of time welding and grinding on the stock shifter to minimize clearances but it didn't help much. I wanted to keep the stock look of the shifter lever so I found a Comp Plus unit that had a welded, one piece lever instead of the bolt on style. That let me graft on the stock lever a lot closer to the pivot point and it kept everything under the stock boot. There were too many times when I wasn't certain I was in gear using the stock shifter. There is no issue at all with the Hurst shifter. It is well worth the effort to put one in.
                          Thanks for the info., Neil. I found the shifter and install kit at the Summit website, looks like around $425 for those parts now. I will put it on my winter-time list of projects! (The shifter is part #391-7308, and the install kit is #373-4734.)

Comment

Cliff,

Here's what I know. The one i bought was listed for a Chevy pass car '60 - '63 or Pontiac Grand Prix '62-'64. Look where the shifter adapter bolts to the tail housing. There are different 3 bolt patterns, a front one and a rear. You want a shifter that attaches to the front 3 bolts as shown below. The kit and individual lever part numbers are listed below. Let me know if you are interested in how I notched the Hurst piece to accept the Stude lever and I'll post some more detail photos. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread
                            Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop
                            1962 Champ Truck
                            1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Neil,
                              Thanks for the info. I found a few on eBay that look like this one but the sellers don't seem to know what they fit or have any part numbers. Will keep looking.
                              Cliff
                              SE Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X