PDA

View Full Version : What air filters fit the 50 Champion?

Iroll
10-04-2014, 06:05 PM
This is the air cleaner on my car. Is this an oil bath type? If so I don't think it uses an element, but I am not sure. There is a straight shot down the center of the cleaner that is unobstructed. The air filter on it is in need of replacement, but the only part I found that is listed for the 50 Champion is a 3" tall filter. That would be too high for this air cleaner setup and would hit the hood. The one on there is about an 1.5" and it is squashed to fit the stud so the wing nut catches the threads. I think the car could desperately use some more airflow. Thoughts?

Corvanti
10-04-2014, 06:28 PM
others, i'm sure might have better info - but it appears that someone has "messed" with a oil bath filter to make it a dry filter.

here's a pic of the oil bath on my '51:

Iroll
10-04-2014, 06:44 PM
it appears that someone has "messed" with a oil bath filter to make it a dry filter.

I wondered if that was the case. Seems like it is an oil bath type that may have simply had a dry filter dropped on top. But I have to figure out how to get it working. I did find the 3" dry element listed for the 50, so does that mean you could get a wet or dry option for the air filters on these cars?

Corvanti
10-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Yes, both were available. usually depending on location. oil bath for mainly rural areas (dirt roads). dry for urban areas with "paved" roads...

i would think some of the folks here: http://www.studebakervendors.com/

will have what you're looking for.:)

Iroll
10-04-2014, 08:06 PM
double post removed

Iroll
10-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks Corvanti. If anyone by chance has, and can post a picture of the original dry cleaner that would helpful so I at least have an idea what I am looking for, and know what to ask for when contacting the used part vendors. I searched the web for a picture with no luck. I suppose I could just get an aftermarket one if I can't locate an original, or I could further modify the one on there to accept a larger filter.

Flashback
10-04-2014, 08:50 PM
I think you have the correct air cleaner. You just need the right reusable element. Here's one that I am pretty sure is original to a 50. It came off the 50 I had. It appears to be like yours, except it has the reusable element.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/dadspics001.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/Flashback53/media/dadspics001.jpg.html)

BobPalma
10-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Bob (Iroll), your air filter is a different type than is Kerry's (Corvanti's) oil bath air cleaner.

What is on your car is/was known as the Oil-Coated Filter Type (1950 Shop Manual definition; not mine).

Your air cleaner originally had a simple round mesh somewhat like a large, very coarse steel wool pad, surrounded by a heavy wire screen to give it rigidity. There was no oil "bath" below it as in Kerry's application. Yours was designed for the serviceman to remove the mesh and wash it in solvent at regular intervals. The mesh would then have heavy oil, SAE 50 in summer and SAE 20 in winter, poured over the mesh and allowed to drain before placing it back on the air cleaner body.

Obviously, this design was not as good or as effective as was the more common oil bath air cleaner, but it was cheaper. Studebaker acknowledged that the oil bath was more effective so, again according to the 1950 Shop Manual in front of me, only cars shipped to New England, points south to Virginia and Tennessee, then up to and including Illinois and Michigan, and all the north and eastern states thus encompassed, got the cheap oil-coated filter type like yours. All other states got oil bath air cleaners.

It looks like the steel mesh from yours has been removed and there is only a light-duty screen in place; not good. I do not have a 1950 Parts Book, so cannot give you the part number for the mesh you need. I just checked the new Studebaker International catalog and don't see it listed therein, either.

What I would do at this point is take the air cleaner body and lid to a large small engine parts place and see if they could sell you a dry air filter element (not to be wetted with oil!) that would be for a large small engine like a garden tractor. (I know "large small engine" doesn't seem to make sense, but I mean something smaller than an automobile engine but much larger than a single-cylinder lawn mower engine; something from a multi-cylinder commercial engine application for professional lawn maintenance mowers and such.)

I am fairly certain you could find something appropriate. Then you could cite the application (part number) here for other people with oil-coated filters on their earlier cars who would just as soon have a dry element air filter. :)

I see that Tex Grier has just posted the correct air filter assembly for your car while I was composing this, so you get an idea of what we are talking about. Note that the air cleaner body gives washing and oiling maintenance instructions for the standard metal mesh and then says a replacement dry element is available but doesn't give a part number! :mad: :cool: BP

Iroll
10-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks FlashBack and Bob! Great pic and advice. Bob, I think you are spot on. I will buy a 'generic' type dry element, and search for the proper type. Although even if I find the correct type, I will buy it, but I will probably keep using the generic type because they seem a lot easier to use. I would like to have the original just for originalities sake. I did some web sleuthing and I did find one that should fit, as it is the same as what's on there now. It is a Mr Gasket 1486a that's 1.5" tall.

Thanks again,
Bob

jclary
10-04-2014, 09:36 PM
This is purely an opinion on my part. I believe that, like a lot of other components, filter technology evolved rapidly during and after world war two. If you notice, the early dry type filters continued to include huge air chambers like those of the oil bath filters. As dry media improved, by more reliable and durable materials, convenience of replaceable elements made them more popular. Also, the "pleating" of the element papers, allowed more compact elements and actually increased the filter surface area. By the mid fifties, small "pancake" filters were gaining in popularity.

My 55 E-5 truck was originally sold and shipped to Georgia with a neat small pancake dry filter. Bob Palma correctly named it (from the shop manual) as an "oiled" filter. The instructions were to clean the wire mesh element with kerosene and lightly oil it for re-installation. I still have that original element, but don't run it. I used to put it in for judging, but don't even bother to do that anymore. I have found that there are several larger lawn mower filter elements that fit those filter bodies just fine, and provide sufficient air flow.

Recently, on my '48 Business Coupe, I removed its large, bulky, original dry filter body, and replaced it with one of the small pancake style filters with a modern dry element installed. My reason is that it looks better, has less bulk, and therefore don't retain heat like the big metal filter. To me, not having that huge can on top of the carburetor allows heat to dissipate quicker and lessens the possibility of vapor lock. As many of you know, the less heat retained under the hood, the better off you are regarding the vapor lock issue.

Lothar
10-08-2014, 03:27 PM
John
Could you provide a picture, or a more detailed description of what you replaced your Champion's air filter with, please?

ReggieFoote
10-08-2014, 03:54 PM
I have a build sheet for my 1950 Studebaker and the WET AIR CLEANER was an option. Mine also came with a SPOTLIGHT!!

Reggie

jclary
10-08-2014, 04:28 PM
John
Could you provide a picture, or a more detailed description of what you replaced your Champion's air filter with, please?

Give me a little time. Been on the road and just checked the forum. If I can, I'll try to set up some pics showing the filters & elements together for a good comparison. Of course, like lots of things I do, it will involve remembering where my camera is, finding good batteries, and taking a decent pic.:rolleyes:

Please be patient.:)

Iroll
10-08-2014, 05:32 PM
After reading Johns post earlier in the thread I started thinking about it. The screws in my carb were all a little loose, and I think that could be attributed to a several pound weight in the form of the original air cleaner, pulling g-forces on the carb as it sways around. So I bought a Mr.Gasket model 4354 air cleaner. It did not fit nearly as well as I had hoped. It came with a sheet metal screw instead of a set screw to hold it to the carb. This did not sit well with me, as I could picture that set screw getting free and being ingested. The next problem was it came with a plastic space/set gasket, and with that on there the air cleaner housing would not fit between the carb body at the rear. So I wound up using a bead of copper gasket maker to set the aircleaner base onto the plastic spacer. It should work fine, but there are better fitting air cleaners I am sure. Even though its the only chrome under the cars hood, and I have not detailed the engine bay yet since acquiring the car a few weeks ago, the new air cleaner looks ok and not too out of place on the old flathead.

jclary
10-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Good Grief!!! I'm ashamed to admit how much trouble it has been to get this picture on the forum.:( I just realized that my new, (to me) used $100 computer, does not have an SD card reader. So, I had to turn on the older computer that was upgraded from XP to windows 7. Next was to wait while it "updated" everything 'cause I have not turned it on in eons. It just don't have the guts to run that system.:QQ:

Anyway, here's two Studebaker factory dry element filters. The one on the left, is what I call a "pancake" filter. I have a couple, and as far as I know, they were offered on trucks. I'm not sure if they were ever offered on cars. The one on the right is the original filter that came on the car in 1948. I had to put my gear puller box (actually an old cigar box) under the filter so that it would sit kinda level.

38267You can see how the bigger filter, on the right, is much bulkier than the filter on the left. I have never ripped one of these big dry air filters apart to compare it to one of the old oil bath filters. However, I'm assuming that someone decided that installing a dry element into the filter housing was easier than re-tooling. Later, for someone, the "light" must have come on and someone figured out that making the filter smaller, saved money in material, and weight. If any of you ever attended a meeting of former design engineers, you will remember that, Bob Bourke, and others, claimed that "Get the weight down" had become a big slogan through out engineering departments.

My reason for this departure from strictly stock...I like the looks, and the smaller air filter retains less heat, and cools quicker when stopped. Both filters have more than enough air flow and filter surface to allow the engine to breathe. :)

Sorry for the poor quality pic and, that I didn't take the time to clean the old filter off. If you will click on the pic, it will enlarge for a clearer view. If you could see how drafty my old man cave shed is...you would be amazed that it looks as good as it does.;)

Lothar
10-09-2014, 09:32 AM
John
Thanks so much for your efforts to provide us with a pic! It clarifies (for me, anyway) your set-up. I don't suppose you happen to know the Studebaker part # for the "pancake" filter, do you? THanks again. Sorry for the bother.

jclary
10-09-2014, 09:48 AM
John
Thanks so much for your efforts to provide us with a pic! It clarifies (for me, anyway) your set-up. I don't suppose you happen to know the Studebaker part # for the "pancake" filter, do you? THanks again. Sorry for the bother.

Thanks Lothar. Ineptitude (of my computer skills) is certainly no cause for an apology.:o:) If that is all I have to moan and gripe about...I figure I'm doing pretty darn good.:D

As far as the part number...been too lazy to look it up. However, anybody with truck manuals should be able to find and post the number. When I finish off my morning coffee...perhaps I'll peel my body off this recliner and look it up. (But...by then, I'll probably forget:lol:)

jclary
10-09-2014, 08:58 PM
John
I don't suppose you happen to know the Studebaker part # for the "pancake" filter, do you?

OK...It's evening. Today, I've sharpened mower blades and cut a couple acres of grass. Finished with supper and now I'm ready to pester you folks on the forum. I thought I would follow up on my earlier post on this “air filter” thread from this morning.

I dug out my “Studebaker Truck Parts Catalog.” This manual covers trucks from 1949 through 1956. This edition was revised January 1961. The reason I give this information is so that anyone with the same manual will be able to confirm what I type here.

These catalog/manuals are confusing to me.:confused: Probably because I only go to them when something stumps me. Perhaps, if I spent more time with them, I would “get it.”:o For example, after thumbing through about 22 pages...you come to page 1.:rolleyes: Page one is titled “ENGINE.” Also known as “Plate 01-1. It shows the small dry air filter like the one on my engine. The “reference number” for the air filter is 0303-1. There is no more mention of this air filter until you thumb over to the “Fuel System” section to page 64. There, Plate 03-6 shows four silhouettes depicting various component groups for different models. Although all the air filters have the same “reference number,” none look like the one in the picture at the front of the manual.:confused: (?)

Next...I turn way over to page 97 and look up the associated part numbers for reference number 0303-1. Good Grief!...There's twenty part numbers labeled AIR CLEANER.:oops: Even if we leave off the “WET” filters...there is a bunch of “dry” filters. :ohmy:

I'm sorry...I have no idea which one of these is the one I call the “pancake” air filter.:(

However...I am happy to have a couple:), therefore, I know one when I see it.:cheers:

Iroll
10-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Good info John, but can you tell me once again just so I am clear, who is on first? :D

I found that the addition of the little air cleaner onto the flathead has produced a substantial amount of noise. I do find the car has more power, but I am not thrilled about the noise on acceleration. It sounds like that tube at the dentist they stick in your mouth that sucks out your drool, but only it's much much louder. I am consider adding a vortex type thing to the top of the carb to see what that might do to the wind noise as well as the airflow. If that doesn't work I may go back to the original type air cleaner. Now I understand why they call the originals air cleaner silencers!

I might try this gizmo:

jclary
10-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Good info John, but can you tell me once again just so I am clear, who is on first? :D

I found that the addition of the little air cleaner onto the flathead has produced a substantial amount of noise. I do find the car has more power, but I am not thrilled about the noise on acceleration. It sounds like that tube at the dentist they stick in your mouth that sucks out your drool, but only it's much much louder. I am consider adding a vortex type thing to the top of the carb to see what that might do to the wind noise as well as the airflow. If that doesn't work I may go back to the original type air cleaner. Now I understand why they call the originals air cleaner silencers!

I might try this gizmo:

Well...there's a saying in my motorcycle circle..."IF IT'S TOO LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!":lol:

Since you have a Mr. Gasket aftermarket filter...I suspect it does not have a built in silencer.:( The small Studebaker factory filter does.:)

Your term "GIZMO":ohmy::rolleyes: for the above item seems appropriate.:)

Looks, to me, that its main purpose is to separate you from a few bucks.;)

Iroll
10-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I too don't have a whole lot of faith in the 'gizmo', but being an engineering geek I can't resist thinking what 'could be"! I was thinking about making my own vortex part with fixed fins to help the airflow, but I found the one I posted already exists and is similar enough to give it a whirl....
If I do come across an original type filter like the one you posted the picture of I will buy it, but I did some looking around and haven't found any trace of one yet....

Lothar
10-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks for trying to find that part# for me, John. Your efforts are appreciated.

Iroll
10-17-2014, 09:06 PM
I came across this picture of an original replacement air filter like the one Flashback showed earlier in this thread in the housing. I thought I would post the picture here for the sake of providing info for those who may find this thread 50 years from now and be interested in the subject. :)