PDA

View Full Version : Paying my rent

starliner62
10-04-2014, 04:50 PM
I have the luxury of the use of my friends shop. He has a complete machine shop and that is where I do most of my Studebaker work. Every once in a while, a car comes in to be worked on and I am asked to perform the repairs. It is my way of paying rent for use of the shop.
I walked in last Monday and I had a job waiting for me. A 1957 Huffaker Special. This is a one off road racer that was built for the American road racing circuit. A fiberglass body with V-8 engine and a 4 speed transmission.
The current owner acquired this car in 1971 in very rough condition. He brought it to North Carolina and started the restoration. Well, as life has its ups and downs, he had to sell the car to a friend with the understanding that he would have first choice of repurchasing it if it came up for sale. in the early eighties, he was able to repurchase the car with the understanding that it would be restored and driven on occasion. Restoration was started. The body was removed and some 170 stress cracks were repaired on the body. The original 283/fuel injected engine had a cracked block and a 327 engine was rebuilt and installed with a carb so it would be a little more dependable. The car oiginally had a quick change rear end that was changed for a Jag rear. The original transmission was rebuilt and retained. The car was originally built with finned drum brakes and replaced with early Corvette discs. All "upgrades" were period correct and complied with all road racing rules.
After the restoration, the owner was talked into campaigning the car in vintage car races across the nation, so for fifteen years, the owner and his wife raced the car. He won quite a few races and lost a few, racing against some prominent folks like Vic Edelbrock and many retired road racers. Quite an accomplishment for a guy that sat in the stands as an observer and never imagined racing.
As the years passed the owner's health started failing and he had to stop racing. He is now having repairs made to this car and some of the other exotics he owns, preparing them for sale upon his demise. I have been invited to his home to look at the complete history of this car he has recorded in several volumes, starting from the planning stages in the mid fifties. It will be interesting to see.
Oh, Studebaker content. I am installing a chrome rear end cover acquired from Jerry Forrester. It now has Studebaker parts on it.

52-fan
10-04-2014, 05:48 PM
A good looking one off sports car. It's a shame they had to change things from original, but that's the way race cars evolve.

Chris Pile
10-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Sexy speedy fun.

Corvanti
10-04-2014, 06:47 PM
A good looking one off sports car. It's a shame they had to change things from original, but that's the way race cars evolve.

yep, just like the 30's Indy Studebakers and many more afterwards.

ya do what ya have to do to keep it on the track (or road)...

great car and pics, Jamie!:!:

JRoberts
10-04-2014, 10:15 PM
I had the opportunity to see this car when I was at the shop with Jamie. It is quite an automobile. I had also spoken with the owner several years ago about this car, but did not get to see it until last week. It is gorgeous and has quite a track record.

junior
10-04-2014, 10:16 PM
ohhhh, how sweet that puppy is!!!! lucky you...hope you take it for a spin...you know you have to make sure everything is right before you return it to the customer. lovin`it big time. cheers, junior

starliner62
10-05-2014, 07:07 PM
One of the rules for vintage road racing is that they have to use bias ply tires. With the straight axle front end, the only way to steer this car is to aim the front end and steer it with the rear wheels. And they thought drifting was something new. I'll be sure and test drive it, at least in our parking lot.