PDA

View Full Version : Door lock

RSykes
10-03-2014, 10:15 AM
I re-assembled my doors on an a Champ 8E5. Darned if I can figure out how to get the door lock secured. I see a clip holds it in place, but how to et the clip installed is a mystery. The clip is on the inside of the door and the lock has to be placed through the door latch after the door latch is installed. In see no way to get that clip onto the door lock.

autoradiotech
10-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Don't know if Stude did it this way or not but look at the rear edge of the door in line with the lock for a vertical slot big enuf for the clip to slide thru.

jclary
10-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Hey, I haven't done it in a long time, but I'll try to help. The groove that clip fits into is very small, and tight against the door skin. You have to have the window all the way up so that it does not interfere with you getting to the area. If my memory serves me right, I had to press the latch very tightly with one hand, and reach in with the other hand to attempt to slide the clip into the groove. A few additional vocabulary words come into play. "Contortion" (to position your body) and "dexterity" (positioning the clip). Of course, the challenge is to allow your brain to process these bigger words as your emotions keep calling for the four letter expressions. If you manage to push the clip enough to gain a "toe hold" (for lack of a better expression) then, hopefully, you can figure out how to contort your body and use your dexterity to position a pair of pliers, small channel locks, screwdriver blade, etc. to push the clip home.

Those "reach-in" access openings of the inside door panel may not always seem to be in the right place, but they worked for assembly, and should work for you. Another word comes to mind..."bloody." Be careful, those edges can bite you.

2R5
10-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Last one I did I used a small hammer and gave it a wack

55 56 PREZ 4D
10-03-2014, 12:06 PM
duct tape around the edges of the access openings helps keep blood loss to a minimum.

Ron Dame
10-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Yep, with an emphasis on vocabulary.

Hey, I haven't done it in a long time, but I'll try to help. The groove that clip fits into is very small, and tight against the door skin. You have to have the window all the way up so that it does not interfere with you getting to the area. If my memory serves me right, I had to press the latch very tightly with one hand, and reach in with the other hand to attempt to slide the clip into the groove. A few additional vocabulary words come into play. "Contortion" (to position your body) and "dexterity" (positioning the clip). Of course, the challenge is to allow your brain to process these bigger words as your emotions keep calling for the four letter expressions. If you manage to push the clip enough to gain a "toe hold" (for lack of a better expression) then, hopefully, you can figure out how to contort your body and use your dexterity to position a pair of pliers, small channel locks, screwdriver blade, etc. to push the clip home.

Those "reach-in" access openings of the inside door panel may not always seem to be in the right place, but they worked for assembly, and should work for you. Another word comes to mind..."bloody." Be careful, those edges can bite you.

Ron Dame
10-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Oh and another 'fun' thing. Make sure you have the square rod on the lock cylinder oriented correctly, or it either won't work, or works oddly. Like mine do. Don't feel like the cussing to fix it either side.

Warren Webb
10-03-2014, 06:25 PM
As Ron has said the shaft for the lock cylinder has a "D" shape to it. It should fit into the door latch in the correct orientation or it wont work correctly. I don't have arms like Popeye but call for someone with smaller or skinnier arms to install the clip.

RSykes
10-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks to all. I am 6'3" and have long arms. Too long to have the right "bend," like trying to use a 14" fuel line where a 12" was original. My wife is 4'11." She's agreed to help.

rockne10
10-04-2014, 08:24 PM
This is one of those "mind over matter" exercises. It can be done.
Your mind decides that that clip is going in there come hell or high water.
Hopefully that clip is not thinking, "No, I'm not!"

GTCruiser
10-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Had always put the clip on from top to bottom of the cylinder which was difficult. The last one I installed pushed it from bottom to top which allowed more room to use the hammer, rod, etc. to push it into place on the cylinder. Just a suggestion.

RSykes
10-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Lock is in. Thanks to all. I love this forum!

Scott
10-05-2014, 12:54 PM
This is the sort of topic that should be posted in the tech section.