Studebaker Trucks In Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Trucks In Russia

Sitting here watching WW2 in color on the American Heros Channel with the Mrs.
    Suddenly there was a whole series of film clips of the Russian counter offensive featuring many Studebaker military trucks. Troop transports, rocket launchers, and some with gun mounts!
    I yelled out, "their using Studebaker trucks!" My wife just looked to me like I had a third eye growing out my forehead.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

I have an album of about 100 - 8 X 10 b-w action photos that show Studebaker trucks being used by the Russians in WWII. This album was sent to Studebaker by an official of the Russian army with a letter of thanks. Below a series of color images used in Studebaker magazine advertising during the war. I also have a set of similar images of the B-17 in action.

Click image for larger version

Name:	composite copy3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1692302
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Also made into a set of nice color post cards. Sample below. Available.

Name:	pc #3 loading dock ebay forum.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1692303
      Richard Quinn

Comment

Yup. Lend-Lease Act gave the Russkies our Studebakers.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

There's a book recently released titled "Images From the Arsenal of Democracy" by Charles K. Hyde showing the contributions by the American automotive industry during WWII. There's photos of Studebaker's production of Wright R-1820 engines and tooling...stating that for the last twenty months of the war Studebaker was the exclusive supplier of B-17 Flying Fortress engines. There's also photos and information on the US6 trucks and the M-29 Weasel.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have heard many times that the Russians so liked the Studebaker trucks we sent them that the word Studebaker became synonym for "truck." About three years ago on a mission trip in West Virginia and young many from Russia rode with me delivering supplies. I asked him if he had ever heard of a Studebaker and he replied that he had heard older folks use it and thought it had something to do with trucks. Of course we talked about the origin of that use of the word. He knew about the lend-lease program and was fascinated about the fact that American Studebaker trucks came to his country via this program. Even more so when I told him about my Studebaker truck.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

See chapter 6 of the Stude truck history on the main SDC website.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Great information on the Studebaker-Russian connection. Never realized the extent of and amount of Studebaker built trucks sent to Russia. An didn't know that Reo built so many Studebaker design US6 military trucks.
                Wonder if the Russian truck industry ever copied the Studebaker design?
                Know the Packard design was copied.
                Thank you for all the great information!

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Was on a plane last spring, heading to Cuba, sitting next to a young Canadian Russian couple. They too were familiar with the word Studebaker and in Russian meaning truck. This couple were university aged and for whatever reason recognised the word STUDEBAKER.

One of the couple's grandfather had been a high ranking military person in the Soviet Union.
                  Last edited by 2moredoors; 10-03-2014, 04:25 PM.
                  sigpic
                  55 President Deluxe
                  64 Commander
                  66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                    Great information on the Studebaker-Russian connection. Never realized the extent of and amount of Studebaker built trucks sent to Russia. An didn't know that Reo built so many Studebaker design US6 military trucks.
                    Wonder if the Russian truck industry ever copied the Studebaker design?
                    Know the Packard design was copied.
                    Thank you for all the great information!
                    Yes, they did later copy the Studebaker US6, though it was mostly in the mechanical components, which were not all really a "Studebaker design" (ie, many components were provided by outside suppliers, and were also used in the GMC 6 X 6 trucks). That said, it was Studebaker's ruggedness of design and construction that impressed them the most -- and those were Stude's responsibility. And they supposedly were really impressed with the Stude cab's vent windows (wind wings) -- which were, in fact, a first in the heavy truck field.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      I have heard many times that the Russians so liked the Studebaker trucks we sent them that the word Studebaker became synonym for "truck." About three years ago on a mission trip in West Virginia and young many from Russia rode with me delivering supplies. I asked him if he had ever heard of a Studebaker and he replied that he had heard older folks use it and thought it had something to do with trucks. Of course we talked about the origin of that use of the word. He knew about the lend-lease program and was fascinated about the fact that American Studebaker trucks came to his country via this program. Even more so when I told him about my Studebaker truck.
                      This old thread also had a story about meeting a young Russian woman who was very familiar with the name Studebaker (also in West Virgina). It also mentions that Khruschev mentioned Studebaker trucks at least twice in his memoirs.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        Yes, they did later copy the Studebaker US6, though it was mostly in the mechanical components, which were not all really a "Studebaker design" (ie, many components were provided by outside suppliers, and were also used in the GMC 6 X 6 trucks). That said, it was Studebaker's ruggedness of design and construction that impressed them the most -- and those were Stude's responsibility. And they supposedly were really impressed with the Stude cab's vent windows (wind wings) -- which were, in fact, a first in the heavy truck field.
                        Indeed the vent windows were unique to Studebakers of the era. Many of the US6 trucks look pretty much the same but you can tell a Studebaker by those vent windows. By-the-way, these trucks were used a lot during the construction of the road build to Alaska during the war.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Indeed they did.

Name:	trucks alaska2 pc.jpg
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1692319
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

Just noticed over on the Studebaker Addicts Group on Facebook there are several WW2 Studebaker military truck advertisements posted. One with the Katuska rocket launcher installed. Cool!

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Working...
                            X