PDA

View Full Version : Hemmings 10/2 Daily Blog: Nice Avanti Item

BobPalma
10-02-2014, 09:28 AM
:!: Kudos to Dan Strohl for doing a nice job on this for today's Hemmings Daily Blog:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/10/02/last-studebaker-built-avanti-to-go-on-national-historic-vehicle-register/comment-page-1/#comment-7557832

Cool Beans! :cool: BP

8E45E
10-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Yes, Bob, that is an excellent write-up for an important vehicle in the history of Studebaker.

I will question the one comment where he states it was the 'last Studebaker vehicle built in South Bend'. I believe they produced Zip Vans into April, 1964 to complete the USPS contract obligation.

Craig

Gunslinger
10-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Great article! I wish I knew about it when it happened earlier this year...I would have been there.

Silverplate
10-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Very cool. Nice article.

studegary
10-02-2014, 02:37 PM
There were a lot of interesting comments on this nice article. I decided to add a comment myself (I rarely do this).

Bill Pressler
10-02-2014, 09:20 PM
There were a lot of interesting comments on this nice article. I decided to add a comment myself (I rarely do this).

I thought it was a great article, lacking the usual tons of factual errors (at least from what I could tell).

I did think I had read that the Warren, OH new-car purchaser of the car, hadn't ordered it but rather, in late '64, approached his local dealer inquiring if a new R3 was still available and that that particular car was at a dealer in Mississippi and that he flew down and drove the new car back. The Hemmings article mentioned that this car was ordered from the Warren, OH dealer.

Still, a terrific article with great photos. I've admired that car many times over the years at the Crawford Museum and at South Bend in 2012, and I'd have loved to see it on the turtable at the SNM last winter, where it sat just feet from the Bordeaux Red Daytona that was last off the 'regular' line only eleven days before the Avanti was completed.

Joe Erdellac, owner mentioned in the Hemmings article, has a daughter (Connie) who is a member of our Ohio Region SDC.

WCP
10-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Nice to see my '64 Daytona 2 door and Captain Billiy's '64 Wagonaire captured in photo at the Hemmings Cruise-In portion of the blog, just prior to our departure for the Nashville meet the following weekend. After 2400 road miles, the cars are not nearly as clean. We did however get a lot of "thumbs up" and compliments during the trip.