No announcement yet.

Springs on wrong sides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Springs on wrong sides?

My Champ has a visible "lean" when seen head-on. It "leans" uphill from left to right, ie., not level. Is that by design since the gas tank and the driver would always put weight on the driver side spring? I took the springs off the truck when I stripped the frame for an acid dip. I ran across some information that said the springs have a "right" and "left" designation. Wonder if I put them on the wrong sides?

Rick

Sometimes it is not the spring that is different left to right but the selection of the correct Mounting holes.
    I have seen many Champs that appear that way, sometimes it is just the lower sheet metal or bumper that give the illusion.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's the way they are built, Rick. In the rear on Champ trucks the drivers side front and rear springs have a little more arch than the pass. side. There are no extra holes like on passenger cars. When I got my 63 8E5 from Lional Stone it had 11 leaf springs on it. A few months later he came back and said he wanted to trade me some 7 leaf springs for them. I said OK and he came with some guys while I was at work and swapped them out. It drove me nuts over the next few months getting every thing back to how it should be. Another thing you will find on the rear spring hanger, the drivers side will be riveted to the frame lower on the drivers side frame rail than the pass. side.
      Last edited by Alan; 09-30-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I only have the cab on the frame. Haven't attached anything forward. You and Alan seem to have answered my question. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X