PDA

View Full Version : On our Way Back From Murphys Concours This is what Happened

Anne F. Goodman
09-30-2014, 02:38 PM
going along on 99 South GoldenHawk starts missing and dies. Off to the shoulder we go. I'm following in 1957 SilverHawk President Carl and Susan following me. Gotta be Spark or Gas, have electric fuel pump so it wasn't gas.3807638077380783807938080380813808238083I think he just wanted to get better gas mileage than me.

Nox
09-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Had a very similar thing happening when we where late (!) for the Denmark ferry & 300 km's more to go... a plaster from the 1'st aid kit held down the breaker.point plate quite good then!
But to find the fault right there & then by the road... I was lucky I guess.
At least lucky enough to be experienced enough to look at the right spot.

JoeHall
09-30-2014, 07:08 PM
I don't see anything wrong that a 12" strip of duck tape could not have fixed :)

Actually, I have never saw or heard of that happening. Was it the advance plate that somehow eventually cut through?

Studedude
09-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Anne, I love how you guys are always on the road as a group, coming and going. When one does as much travel, something is bound to happen sooner or later. We just can't let that stop us!

BTW... love those gold spinners! :cool: :cheers:

Roscomacaw
09-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Some folks have ALL the luck - even if it is bad!

Anne F. Goodman
10-01-2014, 01:42 AM
I don't see anything wrong that a 12" strip of duck tape could not have fixed :)

Actually, I have never saw or heard of that happening. Was it the advance plate that somehow eventually cut through?

A nut came off of the centrifugal advance it allowed it to get out of position and slide out farther the weight shows very little wear. When we were in Murphys about 80 miles from where we broke down ,It started missing when he was backing into his spot for the Concourse. Later it started up and ran fine. The next day Sunday we headed home. at least it quit at a wide spot on the freeway. Tow truck was there in 30 minutes, I have Tow service so they will tow me 100 miles. Then David can use his and they will Tow us another 100. Not bad.Triple A premium member.

RadioRoy
10-01-2014, 01:48 AM
I had a water pump on a Nash do a similar thing years ago. The impeller cut right through the water pump housing.

Like that instance, your advance weight was a lot harder metal than the distributor casing.

Glad you all made it home OK.

It's a great dinner table story.

jclary
10-01-2014, 07:29 AM
A nut came off of the centrifugal advance it allowed it to get out of position and slide out farther the weight shows very little wear. When we were in Murphys about 80 miles from where we broke down ,It started missing when he was backing into his spot for the Concourse. Later it started up and ran fine. The next day Sunday we headed home. at least it quit at a wide spot on the freeway. Tow truck was there in 30 minutes, I have Tow service so they will tow me 100 miles. Then David can use his and they will Tow us another 100. Not bad.Triple A premium member.

I am an Anne Goodman fan!:) Never met you and your folks, but, through this forum.

Y'all seem to find a way to enjoy even the "not so enjoyable" moments.:!:

One thing about the cars of this era, when they break...no mysterious "black boxes," software, or condescending service writer required...only that amazing computer between your ears!!!:)

52-fan
10-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a case of Murphy's Law. That's a failure I have never even heard of.

studeclunker
10-01-2014, 01:15 PM
I agree with John. Reading about your group's adventures is true entertainment, Anne!:D
Love the colour of the Hawk!

Hallabutt
10-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Anne,

As per John Clay's comments, it is easy to like a women willing to contribute to the forum. It shows a real interest in the cars and their owners, who are predominately men. The other day I had cause to consider how few ladies that I have seen contribute to the forum. I did also wonder how many women might lurk but don't want to get involved. I find your willingness to get involved very refreshing!-Bill

StudeRich
10-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Just imagine how many miles it would take without proper Service and Lubrication for an almost 1/4 Inch case to be cut through! :ohmy:

Anne F. Goodman
10-01-2014, 06:09 PM
The distributor on the Golden hawk David had changed about 1000 miles ago it was a used distributor that he put in. He checked it over spent the good part of the day messing with it. Apparently the nut came off and started all this. It now has the distributor off of a 232 converted to duel points. When he put it together he didn't think it was going to work because the Tach sender wouldn't fit right. Turns out that the fiber washer was disintegrated. Once he solved that all is well. We went to lunch in the GoldenHawk today. It is officially proclaimed ready to Fly again. It flew down the freeway just fine.
Thank you Guys for your comments I grew up a Mechanics daughter so I can fix them as well as drive them. I just don't have to fix them unless I want too. You will find me changing water pumps and starters, brake shoes,and hoses. I also help change engines . But as with everything else I'm not gettin any younger either. I enjoy sharing with you-all so that maybe our adventure will help you. We really enjoy being a part of a Drivers Club we put the driver back in the Club. The Dodge Club that was at Murphy s celebrating 100 years of Dodge was very envious of The Studebaker Drivers Club. The fact that we drive to a show enter our Cars for Judging knowing full well we don't stand a chance of winning. But the Fact that we can share our cars give out magazines educate the younger crowd to preserve our favorite Marquee.
Well we know how many miles with proper service it takes for it to cut through. And that my friend would be about 1100 to 1200. Fyi

Nox
10-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Forgot to mention that it was a -61 Valiant it happened on for me, & yes; the screw holding down the centifugal-plate came off & probably went down deep 'cause it was nowhere to be seen.
225 slant 6 are leaning to THAT side too, google if you want, the 170 is lower but I never owned one...