Socket size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Socket size?

What size socket is the crankshaft bolt on a '61 289? I can't get a good line of sight to measure it. It looks like about 1 1/2", but I have to buy a socket and I want to get the right one the first time. Thanks- Jim

That it is, but bend the tab back or you will be cursing me that it doesn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      That it is, but bend the tab back or you will be cursing me that it doesn't fit.
      And...allow me to post probably the most repeated caution I have posted on this forum since joining. If you are going to rotate the crank, using that bolt, remember that the water pump pulley lines up perfectly with the position of your thumb on the ratchet handle. The head of the bolt is rather shallow. If you let the wrench slip...OUCH! (family friendly expression )

The following couple of days of throbbing pain and healing, could lead to an outpouring of your entire vocabulary of "not so family friendly" expressions.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Please buy a 6 point socket!!! Luck, Doofus

Comment

I just purchased a 6 point 1 1/2" socket but it was a 3/4 drive so I had to buy an adapter 3/4 to 1/2. It is much easier to turn the engine from underneath and save your knuckles and yes bend the tab out if it was ever set in the first place.

Comment

The tab is on a lock plate under head of this bolt
            It is bend over the hex head of the bolt and sometimes hard to see but it will prevent you from putting a 1 1/2 socket on the head of the bolt.
            Bend the tab back and you are good.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
            X