One photo, one drawing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One photo, one drawing

Thought I'd share this real quick. Drawn by a new friend from the business from England. Above is an actual photo of one of the gas stations in the business, circa 1973. The 12-year-old kid on the left is me

I still remember most every detail of that gas station, more so than the other ones dad had. My friend Ian did the drawing based on his conception of an old-time service station, and my love of Studebakers.

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Pretty cool Bob. I have a couple of Ian's various drawings, and have given several away as gifts.
    People love them.
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I bought one from him when he was a vendor at Daytona Beach about 10 years ago...
      Nice guy, with quite a gallery.
      He specializes in pencil.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Cool drawing. Seems kinda odd that the old Studes would be out in front though.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yeah, he comes with a few dozen already done, and this was one. He just adds your business name. I think he only had one other that featured Studebakers. He only charges $20 per picture. He said he would be glad to make a custom one for me next summer when he's in town (obviously higer price for a custom commission). I'll probably get one plus a couple other brands for my new business office. This one I keep at my home desk so I can lool at it more often
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob, make a copy and send it to Turning Wheels. If they make it a cover...then we would all have a copy.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I got mine a couple of years ago at an Oklahoma City show. The artist wasn't there, but a pretty lady personalized it for me:
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

I have one also. Mine says "Papa Neil's Garage"
                Neil Thornton

Comment

Service Station

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  Cool drawing. Seems kinda odd that the old Studes would be out in front though.
                  It looks like the station is not open any more.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Bob, make a copy and send it to Turning Wheels. If they make it a cover...then we would all have a copy.
                    It would be awesome to see that as A TW cover. But there's no way I could take that good a picture of it
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

There's an old gas station in Lewiston Ca. that is very similar to the drawing. In fact, it has the same kind of signpost and very much the same floor plan. The few differences are that the sign (obviously not Studebaker Lewiston was a Land Rover town), office door, and window are on the opposite side of the building. On this side would be the restroom doors. It's now an alternative fuels station.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Just for the heck of it, sort of on topic, this is an old gas station I currently own. Built somewhere around 1927. Has a working old-school in-floor lift.
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                        X