PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice finned Hawk for my wife

drrotor
09-29-2014, 01:43 AM
Anyone have a lead on a nice one? She preferres an auto trans. We will be selling her immaculately restored 1957 VW Oval-window Bug to pay for it-- unless you would be interested in some kind of a trade up or down. We are in the Seattle area, but we're willing to travel for the right car. Pictures of "Daisey" (her Bug) are available...:)

drrotor
09-29-2014, 02:06 AM
By the way manual steering is not a deal breaker... we'll consider all Hawks.

Hallabutt
09-29-2014, 03:34 AM
Kenny,

Kenny I don't find your name in the SDC roster. Have you joined but your name just didn't make it into the roster? Did we meet and talk at the picnic at Mud Mountain dam, I remember talking to someone named Kenny? Although the forum can be a tremendous resource it only reaches about a quarter of the Studebaker family, if you haven't joined then you need to. Send me a PM with your phone information, I have a couple of suggestions that I would like to discuss with you.-Bill

JoeHall
09-29-2014, 10:13 AM
CraigsList & Ebay are probably best places to look for your Hawk. Lots of them out there, but not many to be found on this NG.

drrotor
09-29-2014, 12:24 PM
I check Craigslist and Ebay (and Hemmings, and AutoTrader, etc, etc. every day for fun reading...)

4E12D
09-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Well, I have a 1960 Hawk that I have driven for the last 19 years that i would sell. It is a 3 speed OD car. The caveat is this, I wrecked it in January (left front and right rear). It is still driveable. It was my daily driver, and I had just driven it to California 3 months prior to wrecking it. It definitely needs casmetic work, but the engine has been rebuilt, tranny rebuilt, brakes etc. Mechanically it is very sound, as I was driving it about 200 miles a week. Feel free to contact me. The car it located in Salem, Oregon. studedude59 at comcast dot net

hausdok
09-30-2014, 01:20 AM
How "nice" a hawk are you looking for?

I've recently seen many very nice Hawks for sale in the northwest. What condition/price range would be desirable?

drrotor
09-30-2014, 01:43 AM
Thankyou for the offer, I'll consider it. We hope to find an automatic, which we'll persue for a while before settling for a stick. I'm not afraid of a repair job, but hope to find a clean car first. Thanks!

drrotor
09-30-2014, 01:50 AM
As far as price range, we think our Bug is worth $14,5 to $15K, so we're hoping to find a very nice car for that amount or less... I went to Mecum's website today to view the auction results and saw several Hawks that would have "fit the bill" for well under $15K... Seems like a very nice one can be had for $10K. Opinions?

hausdok
09-30-2014, 02:27 AM
drrotor,

check your PM

JoeHall
09-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Well, I have a 1960 Hawk that I have driven for the last 19 years that i would sell. It is a 3 speed OD car. The caveat is this, I wrecked it in January (left front and right rear). It is still driveable. It was my daily driver, and I had just driven it to California 3 months prior to wrecking it. It definitely needs casmetic work, but the engine has been rebuilt, tranny rebuilt, brakes etc. Mechanically it is very sound, as I was driving it about 200 miles a week. Feel free to contact me. The car it located in Salem, Oregon. studedude59 at comcast dot net
If I were looking for a Stude, yours would be very tempting. Too many out there for sale that look like a million bucks, top to bottom & end to end, but not roadworthy (a.k.a. "trailer queens") Panels are readily available, and its much easier to find a body shop than a competent Studebaker mechanic.
Thanks

pbrown
09-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Having been shopping for (and buying) a finned Hawk a year ago, I'll give you my realizations/observations:

Remember that finned Hawks come in two distinct flavors:

Hardtop K coupes, sold as “Golden Hawk” in 1956 (small fins), 1957, and 1958
Pillared C coupes, sold as “Silver Hawk” in 1957, 1958, and 1959. In 1960 and 1961 the pillared C coupe was sold as just “Hawk”

Since the pillared C coupes don't have/need the "hog troughs", you lose one of the major rust concerns of a Golden Hawk.

You will also pay less for a Pillared C coupe than for a Golden Hawk. Of course, when YOU decide to sell it, you will also sell it for less.

Still, I believe that you get "more for your money" with a pillared coupe than a hardtop.

But only you can decide if the hardtop is worth the extra cash. My wife really liked the pillared coupe better. She pointed out that the rear windows look like an airplane’s, reinforcing the 50’s aerospace wannabe styling.

If you want a V8, get one from the beginning. Don’t buy a 6 and think you’ll swap it out later. Straight 6 cars seem to sell for almost as much as the V8s.

If you want a non-Stude drivetrain, find one that already has it done (and done well). A motor/transmission swap will have many more parts and cost more than you think.

Changing to disc brakes and a dual master cylinder will cost $500-$1K. Jim Turner’s kits are a good choice and will keep you alive.

Have fun, and just ask if you want to know more!

pbrown
09-30-2014, 10:27 AM
My wife really liked the pillared coupe better. She pointed out that the rear windows look like an airplane’s, reinforcing the 50’s aerospace wannabe styling

I can see her point:

E. Davis
09-30-2014, 12:53 PM
As far as price range, we think our Bug is worth $14,5 to $15K, so we're hoping to find a very nice car for that amount or less... I went to Mecum's website today to view the auction results and saw several Hawks that would have "fit the bill" for well under $15K... Seems like a very nice one can be had for $10K. Opinions?
I would be a little cautious of a "nice" Hawk selling for 10 grand. Chances are it will need a lot of work. Of course I guess it depends on what your opinion of "nice" might be.

2R5
09-30-2014, 02:18 PM
This doesn't have fins but some people would very much prefer this anyways , looks decent and the price looks good as well !
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/commander/1686215.html

pbrown
09-30-2014, 02:43 PM
This doesn't have fins but some people would very much prefer this anyways , looks decent and the price looks good as well !
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/commander/1686215.html

You could always add fins...:D(ducking and running)

pbrown
09-30-2014, 02:48 PM
You could always add fins...:D(ducking and running)

Come to think of it, one of those with fins would be a sort of a "C coupe Packard Hawk" without the Catfish mouth.