Another project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another project

Started the wood railing... What do you guys think for stain?

I still need to router the edges and sand the wood but waiting for it to age a bit. Then I'm going to use the same wood for the bed with either polished stainless or paid table bed channel... Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140927_162130.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1744755

My brother made me a set of side rails like that for my 59 Scotsman. They did double duty as loading ramps for my Lawn mower.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

That is one beautiful truck, and you just keep making it purdier !

Not to change the topic, but what MPG are you getting with that EFI and 700R setup?

Thanks

Comment

That is similar to what I plan to do with my Champ. It looks great. As a woodworker, I would go with a clear or light colored stain. Just enough to bring out the grain in the wood but not dark enough to change the over all tone of the wood.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You can artificially age the wood by applying some oxalic acid and then neutralizing it with TSP. Experiment with some scrap and time your test pieces to determine how long you need the wash to work. Some woods take longer than others to "age."
          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird
          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Name:	DSC_0231.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1692241 I used mahogany on mine. This picture was when it was new. It's a little more weathered now.

Name:	AprilMarWilliams 023.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1692242 I like the weathered look better.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Joe... I'm getting 18-22 (estimated) depending on in town versus highway.

The wood is white oak which will age to a grey tone so I'm thinking of either yellowing with a neutral oak stain or just darkening with a clear stain.

Comment

I'd try to keep it on the lighter side vs. darkening it. There are so many options, you might try several stain shades on some scrap pieces, even mixing stains together for a personal "look". B.V.

Comment

Working...
                X