62 Lark Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 62 Lark Issues

For my son's 62 Lark 289 V8, automatic (which used to be my car for 10 years), he is having the following problem. He says the car starts and runs a minute and then quits, it can be repeated start, run, quit. My guess is fuel delivery. He thinks it is the carb. Anyway suggestions and opinions are welcomed. He wants to get this car back on the road and use it for a back up car for work. Thanks for the help.
    David G. Nittler

In the off chance that you have converted to the Mopar EI, it may need the resistor replaced.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      In the off chance that you have converted to the Mopar EI, it may need the resistor replaced.
      It is original equipment
      David G. Nittler

Comment

A fuel tank full of rust and debris will often act exactly in this manner - my own personal experience. When was the last time the tank was dropped and cleaned out?

Russ Farris
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

If the gas cap is not a vented type it will create a vacuum in the tank and the car quits running.
          Try to run it without the gas cap and if it keeps running you know what is wrong.
          Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
            If the gas cap is not a vented type it will create a vacuum in the tank and the car quits running.
            Try to run it without the gas cap and if it keeps running you know what is wrong.
            Robert Kapteyn
            A '62 Lark does not require a vented cap - the tank is vented by a pipe that runs along the inside of the lower trunk opening - very evident when you look for it. Still, one should should inspect this line for possible vending issues.

Comment

He ran the car a few months ago. He drove it his work 50 miles away. (This story was in Turning Wheels a few years ago). I am suspecting that the rubber part of the fuel lines may be a problem. I'll know when I see him.
              David G. Nittler

Comment

Another possible problem is a pin hole in the fuel line, most likely behind the clamp that holds the tube to the frame above the rear axle. I had exactly the same symptoms with a 59 Lark. It was most likely to manifest itself when going above 30 mph or up hill -- when the fuel pump was pulling the most vacuum. It never leaked enough to drip on the ground, but allowed plenty of air to get into the line when the engine was running.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

My sons Jeep Wagoneer did the same thing. The fuel pickup in the tank was blocked. We could not blow through the fuel line to the tank. Cleared obstruction, all good.

Comment

Working...
                  X