Found a Packard....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a Packard....

So found this older Packard on craigslist is it worth it the money?

"trying to save them from the crusher one at a time"

My opinion is YES. If the engine will turn over that's money in the bank. Our resident expert will no doubt chime in too, right Bob? I don't know how they were equipped but perhaps it has the torsion bar self leveling suspension & that's why the rear is sitting low. If it were by me here I'd give it a good look over for sure.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'm thinking about going up that way to check it over and get some better pics if I can it looks in half way decent shape.

money tight but I can't pass up a good deal if it still for sale

Comment

The taillights if decent are almost worth the asking price not to mention scrap value of metal

Comment

It appears to be the late-'56 Executive, which had the senior front sheet metal and the Clipper body. It would have the 352" V8, which would have some core value to me other than being on the wrong coast.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Hi

Absolutely! Go buy it, put it back in shape and enjoy one of the last Detroit Packards! I'd be very surprised if you don't find it a fine and satisfying car to own and drive.

Steve

Comment

Buy it and have fun, even if it were a rust bucket you'd likely get your money back selling the useable parts.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

In my younger days I owned a '56 Packard Clipper with that same push button automatic transmission. I loved it. It glided down the road quiet and easy and the automatic leveling system kept the car level even with a big load in the trunk.
                That one looks every bit worth the asking price and, once back on the road you won't be disappointed. Have fun!
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I posted a thread on this car back on August 31, I can't link to it from my phone but it is now 7 pages back.

Comment

Cool I'll look it up I'm kinda interested in it if I can get ahold if the owner

Comment

Guido,

Did you ever go out to look at the Packard ?

If I hear back from the owner I might take a ride out and see if I can do anything with it. Might be a cool cruiser if I can get it running again

Comment

The owner said it was still for sale I'm planning on going up this weekend to see it maybe bring her home Lucy needs a friend and for that price and I can't go wrong !

Comment

I never called or went to take a look at it. I need to be selling rather than buying. On a positive note I have sold 19 chain saws in the past 10 days.

Comment

i don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" here - the price for the "parts car" is close to what i would pay, and certainly would if i had another '56 that needed any parts shown in the pics.

but- having no title would scare me off on trying to restore her to a driver, or more. check with your VA DMV about the hoops you would have to go thru to get a title - if getting one is possible.

she is sitting in the ground quite a bit. check out the underbody - frame, etc. to see how much is still there.

the seller seems fairly honest that this is a parts car, but we've all seen worse brought back to life. all it takes is $$$, skill and time. usually more than what it would be worth when finished.

perhaps parting it out could finance "Lucy the Lark" repairs. as stated in post #4, if the tail lamps are good, that alone may get your $ back.

and please, don't overwhelm yourself trying to restore/refresh two cars at the same time!
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Actually I was thinking of just getting the Packard running and leaving it the way it is just make it a fun little project after I finish Lucy It doesnt seem to look bad but I'll have to go out and see it. after looking up a few things on line I could always part it out if things don't work out

the worst that could happen is I don't buy it and I keep Looking for another lark

Comment

Working...
                              X