PDA

View Full Version : 54 daily driver Conestoga....Victory....

Mike Van Veghten
09-26-2014, 10:10 PM
After a few false starts, the engine (the 259 I've been working on) and trans. (T200-4R) are finally in place.

It "seems" a tad high up. I don't think I'll be running the 4" tall air cleaner element that's on it now, also, the later aluminum breather tube may require some severe shortening.
The R3 exhaust manifolds fit fine. But in trying to lower the engine with shorter rubber donughts (from the stock ones), any crushing of the rubber over time will put the manifold on the steering...so I guess that's out.

Project for the weekend is the trans. crossmember. And find all the peripheral stuff for the trans., that I can't seem to locate right now...!

Mike

52-fan
09-27-2014, 10:08 AM
This is the kind of post I like. Progress is encouraging to all of us. Pictures would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

sweetolbob
09-27-2014, 11:05 AM
This is the kind of post I like. Progress is encouraging to all of us. Pictures would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Baloney

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f2/696548d1335890314-new-member-italy-joining-simpson-pics-didnt-happen.jpg

junior
09-27-2014, 01:43 PM
It "seems" a tad high up. I don't think I'll be running the 4" tall air cleaner element that's on it now, also, the later aluminum breather tube may require some severe shortening.
The R3 exhaust manifolds fit fine. But in trying to lower the engine with shorter rubber donughts (from the stock ones), any crushing of the rubber over time will put the manifold on the steering...so I guess that's out.

Mike

Damn hot-rodders...can`t leave well enough alone! Be a man, cut a hole in the hood and whip up a set of fender well headers for that thang. lol,lol,lol btw, photos would be awesome. cheers, junior

Pat Dilling
09-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Following with great interest! Pictures would be great since I am going to do the same thing. :-)

Mike Van Veghten
09-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Looks like a 3" tall filter fits. The hood is "resting" in place and there's no marks from the undercoating on the hood on the air cleaner top. After scraping the hood clean and getting the trans. mounted properly, I'll have to use clay to verify the clearance. Also looks like the tall breather tube will also be ok.

Two more oh crap's today though. One big one...my Ford electric fan woun't come close to working...with or without the stock shroud in place. Just too thick.
And the factory Stude trans. mount (don't know its heritage) I have isn't going to work either. Too wide (easy to fix) much too low, much harder to fix.

Mike

P.s. - A few new photos -
http://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/54-conestoga-ii/

Studeous
09-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Wow! Looking great Mike. Enjoyed the updates and pictures.

sweetolbob
09-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Mike

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like it will be a nice ride. I see several of the engine mods you have spent a lot of time and energy perfecting and having made.

Transmission??

Well done, Bob

Mike Van Veghten
09-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Bob -

As noted, a GM, T-200-4R.
This one was done by Art Carr in SoCal.
I have two others that are race transmissions done by Scott McClay Engineering. They have aa lot of race inspired parts in them including a trans. brake. One of those is going into my other 54 wagon.

Mike

junior
09-28-2014, 08:52 PM
knew you had two Connies...but are they both light blue? Is the 259 going into the one with the quickie diff and cool Halibrand mags? enquiring mind needs to know. thanks, junior

jclary
09-28-2014, 09:33 PM
I love what I see here. First rate. A great finishing touch, to go with those finned valve covers, would be to use a Studebaker hubcap for the lid on that air cleaner. Someone posted a pic of one some time ago. I thought it looked great.

Mike Van Veghten
09-29-2014, 08:41 AM
junior -

Yes sir, I have two 54 wagons, both light blue..! Wasn't planned that way..!
The wagon with the Quick Change is getting my "hot rod" engine. It's a 299, with heavilly ported heads, a roller cam, 10 to 1 compression, Ross pistons, Crower rods, a one of five, single plane intake manifold, my adjustable cam drive, a few other goodies....and stock rocker covers..!

The one noted here (two tone blue) will be my daily driver when it's done. My 59 Lark that's now my daily driver will be sold.

Thanks John.

Mike

junior
09-29-2014, 10:47 AM
ahh, now I get it. Both will be sweet when done, the 299 really grabs my attention. cool, cool, cool. cheers, junior

studeclunker
09-29-2014, 03:16 PM
I like the roofrack. Had one of those myself till the goats destroyed it. All it took was one day in their reach!:mad:
The two-tone blue on your car is beautiful. :D Are you going to stay with it?
The clearance issue you are experiencing is why Studebaker went to the type of odd air-cleaner and carb they did. Perhaps if you went to the President-type of setup for yours it might work better?

clonelark
09-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Looking good Mike, like everything you've done so far. I'd sure like to hear it run.

Mike Van Veghten
09-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Ron -

While the hood doesn't "hit" the air cleaner now, I don't know how much room I have. I'll wait till I get the trans. properly mounted then check it with some clay. I also have a .50" spacer I can pull out from under the carburetor. Don't want to but..

clone -

Thanks...me too..!
I've finally got the big heavy stuff done, now it's gonna be a ton of light weight stuff left to do. Even connecting my sprint car gas pedal assembly, ALL of the wiring, finish the brake assembly. Then...the front end needs rebuilding before I can drive it too far.

Mike