PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to market the Studebaker brand at car shows

Geigs
09-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Hi all,
I will be attending my first car show in October (http://www.rockvillemd.gov/index.aspx?nid=667) and have been asked to represent my region of SDC for the show. My question is what is the best way to educate the general public about Studebaker? Any ideas on hand outs or other materials would be greatly appreciated. Also, the car show will feature a people's choice award and we'll be going up against Ferraris and other exotics. Have you used any tactics in the past that have been popular in swinging the public over to Studebaker. Looking forward to having fun with this, so all ideas welcome. Thank you!

Bamajak
09-26-2014, 08:17 PM
What I do is give out copies of Turning Wheels. I have several hundred extra from members contributions.

rockne10
09-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Your Region President or Zone Director can request handouts, flyers, posters and banners to promote the marque and the club from Tom Curtis. If they do not already have them at this date, ask them to get on the stick or try to contact Tom yourself. I believe there is usually an ad in Turning Wheels regarding this material. You will also want spare copies of TW and your chapter publication, with applications to both, for those interested. Turning Wheels is a true eye opener, substantially more impressive than the AACA publication.
I usually hide a cassette player constantly playing in the car with music of the appropriate period for the model. It's not big drama but usually attracts a few additional looks.

sweetolbob
09-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Stay around the car for a lot of the show, be pleasant and smile. Answer questions calmly and in short sentences. Don't act like a question is stupid or below you. Return questions about the other folks experiences and cars.

If you are there and a parent tells the little ones to not touch the car, tell them it's not important and offer the little ones a opportunity to set in the car.

Lastly, I made a window sticker for the Avanti that gives about 12 lines of facts about the cars high points and history.

If you don't win anything, and that ain't important, you will leave with new friends and a great feeling about the interactions with the other owners.

Remember that the 289 is not a Ford motor as Studebaker had it's own foundry but just some folks way of starting a conversation with what they thought was a fact. It's not a stupid question, just someone's way of breaking the ice. Treat it as such.

The best representative of the brand is the friendly car guy that doesn't try to overwhelm others with tons of unwanted info or that they are horribly uninformed about "THE" Marque. Remember to treat the others folks like you would want to be treated if you didn't know Jack Crap about their rides.

Nothing wrong with handing out literature if there's interest but don't do it like a hare krishna at the airport.

Bob

BobPalma
09-26-2014, 10:50 PM
What has been said so far, Steve; all good points. Please note what Brad said in Post #3; SDC is really on top of supplying materials to assist marque recognition and such.

I see you have a 1956 President Classic sedan. If the upholstery is stock, invite people to have a look at it. They'll be amazed at its plushness.

:!: Best wishes; your concern and efforts are greatly appreciated. :) :cool: BP

JoeHall
09-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Just go and have fun. "Attraction rather than promotion" works pretty good :!:

55s
09-27-2014, 09:30 AM
I always let people take pictures and sit in the car, especially kids. They always have the biggest smiles.

I always park my hawks beside a similar year Ford or Chev that is about twice the height.

I have an information sheet about Studebaker with a Studebaker history and a story about the model I am showing.

With your President Classic, I would park it among the other 1956 models so that people can compare styles and quality. You will have the crowd around your car - everyone has already seen 1956 Fords and Chevs, so be prepared for a little envy from them and be friendly.

Don't forget a lawn chair, some snacks and water.

Have fun.

Sdude
09-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Make sure you have the new SDC window sticker with the QR code on it. You don't have to know what the QR code is or how to use it. The younger people that we are trying to reach and recruit know what it is and how to use it when they see it. And they WILL use it. There is a whole thread on this sticker if you want to know more about it.

jims53
09-27-2014, 10:48 AM
I always let people take pictures and sit in the car, especially kids. They always have the biggest smiles.

Most cars have signs "do not touch" I let them set in the car, I let them touch the paint so they can see how smooth the paint is... I try to stay with the car, but have plenty of water, or your voice will be gone by the end of the day because of answering questions. I have a window sticker (made by Dick Quinn) almost everybody stops read that...
Jim

48skyliner
09-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Show the people something they will remember after they leave the show - a poster with some photos of Studebaker history. Start with the elegant Studebaker carriage that President Lincoln and his wife rode to the theater the night he was assassinated in 1865. Show the Studebaker wagon with the Budweiser sign being pulled by the famous team of Clydesdale horses, dating from about 1900. Show the 1947 and 1953 cars to illustrate that Studebaker had advanced styling for the time.

Bob Andrews
09-27-2014, 02:22 PM
You will have the crowd around your car - everyone has already seen 1956 Fords and Chevs, so be prepared for a little envy from them and be friendly.

Awesome. This made me LOL:):)

rockne10
09-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Make sure you have the new SDC window sticker with the QR code on it. You don't have to know what the QR code is or how to use it. The younger people that we are trying to reach and recruit know what it is and how to use it when they see it. And they WILL use it. There is a whole thread on this sticker if you want to know more about it.
Ditto that.

BShaw
09-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Adding to what others have suggested:

Download these three documents, print a few and hand 'em out as you talk with folks about Studebakers.

"Studebaker Myths & Misconceptions" helps shed light on some of the misconceptions people may have heard.
DOWNLOAD (http://www.northstarwheel.com/resources/studebakermyths.pdf)

"Studebaker Firsts" lists a number of things Studebaker did before other car makers.
DOWNLOAD (http://www.northstarwheel.com/resources/studebakerfirsts.pdf)

"The Studebaker Story" a self-printable version of the Fred Fox article.
DOWNLOAD (http://www.northstarwheel.com/resources/StudebakerStory_%20rev2014.pdf)

ALSO... here is a series of four short articles I wrote last year under the general title of "Be A Champion" and had distributed to SDC Chapters for their newsletters. DOWNLOAD
(http://www.northstarwheel.com/resources/Be A Champion Article Series.pdf)

BobPalma
09-27-2014, 10:45 PM
I attended a primarily MoPar show today at The Finer Details in Danville IN. It is probably the premier 1970-1974 MoPar E-body (Dodge Challenger and later Plymouth Barracuda) restoration shop in the country; their work is as close to perfect as is humanly possible. Flawless, actually. They also work on other performance MoPars and an occasional Ford or GM product. (I drove my unrestored 1971 Barracuda convertible, well-received as an unrestored car.)

I saw a fellow wearing a cute T-Short:

You don't have to drive a
MoPar
...but you'd be a lot cooler if you did.

I suppose that could be taken the wrong way by people with a terminal affliction for being offended, but it put a smile on my face. :D :!: :cool: ;)

BTW: One fellow I caught up with at the show was Pure Stock Drag Racer Tom Kelly of Danville. Tom has run his 1968 Hemi Road Runner at the event, but not for several years. Tom commented on reading about "Seb's" 1961 Lark project in the new Hemmings Muscle Machines and thought it was pretty cool! :!!: BP

Chris_Dresbach
09-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Just hang out by your car and answer any questions folks have. In a way the car will do the talking.

09-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Fifteen or twenty years ago, you'd go to a show with your Studebaker and for the most part encounter all the "pet-peeve" things that get everyone here all spooled up. "They're still built in Canada." "They used Ford Engines." Etc., etc.

The times I've shown my cars recently, I've found most of the younger people, especially, are basically a clean slate. Your car may be the very first one they've been up close to. I couldn't agree more with the comments above about letting people touch or sit in your car if they'd like. My cars aren't in a museum yet, but I do understand those who have spent thousands protecting that investment if that's their preference. Nothing lights a fire started by looking at pictures on the internet faster than actually touching and feeling something. Supervised, of course.

Used to be, you'd get lots of questions about finding parts. Not so much anymore with the Internet today.

Not Studebaker related, but I've also shown my 1969 Road Runner a bit this late summer and fall. Used to be, the young kids got a kick out of sitting in it and beeping the horn. They'd instantly recognize the birds, and pull their parents toward it.

Not so much any more. Many don't even know who the Road Runner is. The horn means something to their parents, but the kids have a blank stare. If only it was a Plymouth Sponge Bob?

09-28-2014, 10:49 AM
One other instance the past few years bears mentioning in this thread. It happened at a show that we took our 60 Lark Convertible to. The only other Studebaker at the show was a Champ Pickup.

A nearby club won the participation award. They were mostly into 60-70's GM and Ford stuff. The leader of the club approached me with a question about the Champ that had come up in conversation with the members of the club.

They wanted to know who did the aftermarket conversion on the Lark to make it into a truck, because Studebaker never made trucks, right?

The power of Smartphones was very handy, as was a welcoming and warm reception to the question, as I pulled up on my iPhone App the five trucks for sale on eBay at the time, and even went to a site that showed a Studebaker Semi Tractor. They were all bowled over, and thanked me for the info.

Being a good ambassador of the Marque, no matter how off the wall the question is, is probably the most important thing we can do.

I've thought about doing a PowerPoint presentation, that runs in an endless loop on a laptop, to use at shows since that experience.

Bob Bryant
09-28-2014, 01:05 PM
I have a transparent plastic sleeve for 8 1/2 X 11 paper. There is a suction cup with a hook that holds the sleeve inside the rear passenger window. The insert I prepared has our car's history, design efforts, and Avanti specs and production info. There is a paragraph on perfomance achievements mentioning Andy Granatelli, etc. As spectators examine the car, some spot the page and then ask questions if they have any. If I see someone my age attempting to read it and maybe having difficulty because of conditions or vision issues I unhook it and they can position it for their needs. It leads into many questions and conversations.

reichsrundfunk
09-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Your Region President or Zone Director can request handouts, flyers, posters and banners to promote the marque and the club from Tom Curtis. If they do not already have tnhem at this date, ask them to get on the stick or try to contact Tom yourself. I believe there is usually an ad in Turning Wheels regarding this material. You will also want spare copies of TW and your chapter publication, with applications to both, for those interested. Turning Wheels is a true eye opener, substantially more impressive than the AACA publication.
I usually hide a cassette player constantly playing in the car with music of the appropriate period for the model. It's not big drama but usually attracts a few additional looks.

I have an audio CD of Studebaker radio ads from about 1951 thru 1966 and I play it in a portable CD player tucked on the rear floor :-)
George

Geigs
09-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks gents! All fantastic ideas and I will try to incorporate as many as possible. Will post pics of the event and the results later in October. Thanks again!

Chucks Stude
09-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I bought some prints from SI, and they lean well against the lower air intake on a Hawk. What surprised me is the "thunk, clang, bang", Repair poster from the Museum draws the most attention of the women that are at the shows. Next would be the "Studebaker Trees" from the proving grounds. Good ice breakers.
http://niftee50eesgallery.com/album/2014_05_-_10#ps-img-995189
http://niftee50eesgallery.com/album/2014_05_-_10#ps-img-995253
http://niftee50eesgallery.com/album/2014_05_-_10#ps-img-995254
http://niftee50eesgallery.com/album/2014_05_-_10#ps-img-995257

warrlaw1
09-30-2014, 02:24 PM
What Bob Shaw said. I pass out Fred Fox' The Studebaker Story, but only to people who really express interest in the marque and the company. People are very grateful.

Deaf Mute
09-30-2014, 04:10 PM
To get attention... fly the new banner! Plus the handouts from SDC and a one sheet flyer about your chapter... and old TURNING WQHEELS (people don't believe you are actually GIVING them such a fine publication).
With your computer use WORD (or some other publishing program) and type up a fact sheet about your ride YEAR, MAKE, MODEL etc. One 8.5 x 11 sheet is enough & your local library will probably laminate it for less than a buck so that the rain won't make the lettering run (it always seems to rain on my Stude). My signs are printed in a "landscape" format, with non-white paper & I round the edges of the paper before getting them laminated... looks better. (You can see a window sign on my '53 in the attached photo)

Geigs
10-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Just got back from our first car show. Big success and a lot of fun. Used all your ideas. I think the big attraction was our board. We ranked in the top 5 for the people's choice. Not bad for a car show with over 400 cars. Although, the pictures don't show it, this car is a survivor, not a show car. Thanks again!38529385303853138532

sbca96
10-19-2014, 08:06 PM
The local show just dropped the Studebaker category on its 13th year.

Tom

rodnutrandy
10-19-2014, 08:17 PM
I have fun with the kids this way , People say what about kids climbing on your truck, my reply is I bring it on myself .