PDA

View Full Version : '53 vs '55 C-K front fenders

Jerry Forrester
09-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Learned something new today. If you put a '53 C-K front fender onto a '55 body, you have to make a new bolt hole.
Studebaker Corp. wised up and moved the center hole for where the fender bolts onto the 'A' pillar up about 3 inches. I don't know if they did this in '54 or '55 was the first year.
On the '53 the center hole is almost impossible to get to because it's behind the fender vent, the '55 is much easier.

https://i.imgur.com/sKNVeTM.jpg

57pack
09-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Sure wish they could have done something about that open fold over that collected all the dirt and salt.

LarkTruck
09-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Sure wish they could have done something about that open fold over that collected all the dirt and salt.

Pretty sure it has been discussed here before, but probably less than a buck per car worth of seam sealer in that crack would have saved a LOT of Studes from being scrapped!
JS

studegary
09-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Pretty sure it has been discussed here before, but probably less than a buck per car worth of seam sealer in that crack would have saved a LOT of Studes from being scrapped!
JS

"A buck per car" was a lot of money then. I remember Bob Bourke telling me that the Starliner quarter window mechanism was cost reduced by 50 cents and that is why they are troublesome. Keep in mind that these cars were not designed to last ten years, let alone a half Century.