Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk about brand loyalty! Forty-five new Studebakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about brand loyalty! Forty-five new Studebakers!

I would guess a record. I wonder how long they continued after this '54?

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker owner loyal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1744751
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

And Captain Laird was an engineer. If he was impressed with Studebaker's engineering, then we all should be. Great story!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Geeze! My Dad bought five new Studebakers and I thought he was a very loyal Studebaker owner!??
      Last edited by 57pack; 09-25-2014, 11:20 AM.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

That is a great story and a great accomplishment! Too bad Studebaker didn't throw in a set of full wheel covers to mark the occasion!<G>

Comment

Are family had 3 at one time, my grandmother, my dad, and I owned Studebakers. But, just about everybody in "Freedom Township" where we lived owned Studebakers... 45 that's going to be hard to beat...
          sigpic
          Jim

Comment

I do not see in the article where they owned "Forty-five new Studebakers". They owned 45, and one of each year for that period, but it does not state that they were all new cars.
            I, and others here, have owned more than 45 Studebakers.
            I have only owned a total of seven new cars out of the more than 100 cars that I have owned.
            I bought my 1964 Hawk from a guy who had a long line of new Studebakers ending with that 1964 Hawk. In fact, he bought a new Hawk for every year from 1956 through 1964, including two new 1964 Hawks.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It IS amazing that Capt. Laird chose the best, most expensive Model but was conservative enough to not add White Walls and Wheelcovers even though I am guessing that he could easily afford them.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                It IS amazing that Capt. Laird chose the best, most expensive Model but was conservative enough to not add White Walls and Wheelcovers even though I am guessing that he could easily afford them.
                In the 1950s and 1960s whitewalls were a relatively expensive option. Also, new car tires did not last like they do now. In the 1960s, when I ordered a new car, I ordered it without whitewalls. Six months later, when I replaced the original tires, I put whitewall tires on.

I do not have a 1951 brochure handy, but I just checked a large 1952 brochure. The large color pictures showing a convertible and a Land Cruiser both show the cars with blackwall tires.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just went thru my '51 brochure (the one with the yellow 'vert on the cover). all the pics that showed tires had wide whitewalls - except one: a '51 Champion Custom 2 Door Sedan. she also had hubcaps (as some others showed), not wheel covers.

btw: the back page has a stamp of what appears to be the dealer that my brochure came from -
                  JOE TOEPFNER, INC.
                  941 No. High St.-UN 4157
                  Columbus 1, Ohio.
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I really love those pretty small hubcaps & preferably body-colored rims, good taste in my "un-humble" opinion...

Comment

Working...
                    X