No announcement yet.

Vacuum (?) line from oil pump (vacuum pump?) on 226 engine in '48 M16 truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Vacuum (?) line from oil pump (vacuum pump?) on 226 engine in '48 M16 truck

I just looked over a very nice '48 M16 truck. The owner assured me that the 226" engine had only about 5 miles on it since a rebuild 6 years ago (it has been started intermittently during the 6 year rest).
    The engine smokes significantly (blue smoke). The owner pointed out a metal line running from the area of the oil pump to a fitting on the intake manifold. He said the rebuilder didn't know what to do with the "spring, washers, etc." he found in the fitting, so he left them out. The engine also drips oil slowly from the crankcase breather tube after it is shut off. Can someone please explain this setup (looks to me like a vacuum "booster" pump is "piggybacked" on the oil pump and maybe oil is leaking into the manifold from this source)?
    Thanks for the education!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Well it is clear that whenever, wherever you find washers and a spring it is a regulator of some kind and can not be removed.

I would hope he is not talking about the Oil Pressure Regulator Valve at the very front of the Engine.

I have seen Vacuum booster Dual Diaphragm FUEL Pumps, but never heard of one on an OIL Pump. Sometimes Trucks do have "Special" not so common equipment, so maybe.

I am pretty sure that line is at least contributing to the Oil smoke if not the total cause. The other thing is that Engine needed to be broken in after rebuild and the Rings would not be seated.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich.
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

My '37 Dictator uses the same basic engine. The line from the oil pump goes to the oil pressure gauge. Connecting it to the manifold would cause oil to be sucked into the intake, creating a lot of smoke. If you have vacuum wipers, then connect them to the manifold fitting.
        George Cagle
        North Alabama Chapter

1937 Dictator
        1947 M5
        1948 Commander
        1963 Avanti

Comment

Yes, that is a vacuum booster driven by the oil pump shaft. I think it was 1947 only, and used on both cars and trucks. A tube runs from the oil pump to a check valve located at the rear of the intake manifold. Those spare parts came out of the check valve.
          Oil dripping from the road draft tube might indicate excessive pressure in the crankcase.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I had that same vacuum booster on my M16. Replaced the oil pump cuz the booster was leaking oil. Aluminum housing leaking at the shaft. I found a NOS booster some years ago but haven't put it back on yet.
            1936 Dictator
            1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
            1953 Commander Regal HT
            1953 2R5 Pickup
            1947 M16 Truck
            1960 Lark VIII Convertible
            1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
            1962 Champ 7E5 no box
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 Lark VI 4 dr
            1963 GT Hawk R2
            1964 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for the quick responses.

Comment

Working...
              X