PDA

View Full Version : 64 daytona wideshield

ernie coon
09-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi
I have been restoring a 64 daytona 4 door and need a windshield .
I bought 4 more studes at an auction {a 64 2 door commander ,a 64
commanore 4 door wagon, a 65 daytona 2 door sedan and a 65 daytona
4 door wagon} Will any of these fit in my 64 4 door . Thanks.

Scott
09-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I believe any of those will fit your car. I've been warned by a family member in the glass business that even though old windshields may look great, the glass becomes brittle with age and can likely crack during re-installation. I'm sure it can be done and probably is done a lot with no problems. That's just what I was told.

skyway
09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Beware of the station wagon windshields.

I believe that part of the 1964 facelift included a taller roofline/windshield for the sedans and hardtops, but that the station wagons kept their shorter 1963 roofline. Result is that 1964 sedans/hdtps and wagons are different windshields. This is not apparent to the eye; you should measure diagonally.

Rerun
09-27-2006, 09:03 PM
IIRC, the change in the roof for '64 actually made the windshield about 1/2" shorter than the '63. But, the station wagon and convertible were not changed for '64 so they share the windshield with the '63 models.

That said, any of the vehicles mentioned EXCEPT the wagon should be a good donor for the glass. New reproduction gaskets are available, and I would recommend one for the swap. Cutting the inside lip of the gasket of the donor car will make it a bit easier to get the glass out safely. Follow the directions in the shop manual and you should have no problem. Note that the stainless mouldings need to be installed into the gasket before installing the glass in the car.

Jim Bradley
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
http://home.earthlink.net/~bradley71771/images/Rerun.jpg

Scott
09-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Wow, Jim. Is that picture of the black '64 yours? Real sharp!

Rerun
09-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, thank you, Scott. That's ol' Rerun. The black paint is a real pain to keep clean, but sure looks good when it's shining. But, the shine can be a problem, too (see page 27 of the June 2006 Turning Wheels).

Jim Bradley
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
http://home.earthlink.net/~bradley71771/images/Rerun.jpg