Hill holder querie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill holder querie

Gang - I'm replacing and rebuilding the brakes from front to back on my '63 Lark and would like your expert opinion as to cleaning out the hill holder. I remember learning new words trying to seal up the one on my '51 when I got the notion to open it up and clean it out. Yes, I got the new washer, and as I recall there wasn't much more to the rebuild kit than that. I just remember it was tough to get it tight.
    Anyone have success cleaning it without a teardown? I've got it on the workbench, cleaned up on the outside, but I'm more concerned with the inside, of course.

Western Washington, USA

The design was simple and seldom required maintenance. If it worked before you removed it, I would leave it alone. Fresh fluid is all it should need. If, on the other hand, it wasn't functioning, I can offer no advice.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

The design was simple and seldom required maintenance. If it worked before you removed it, I would leave it alone. Fresh fluid is all it should need. If, on the other hand, it wasn't functioning, I can offer no advice.
      I agree. The new "kit" has a copper washer in place of the stock rubber O ring. It is almost impossible to get it to seal with that washer. If it's not leaking and working, flush it out with fresh fluid and put it back in.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks! I guess I should have checked to see if it worked before taking the car apart. duh.
        Will squirt fresh fluid thru it and re-mount it.

Comment

I have a HillHolder that I've already taken apart and reassembled. It has the copper washers. Is there any way I can prevent it from leaking? I have the advantage of having it on the bench and have not installed it yet. Someone sometime must have been able to redo one of these without them leaking.

s while I have it on the bench and before I hook it up

Comment

I finally got my '51s tight by using a large-mouthed adjustable wrench and really hunkering down on the big plug. Vice that baby, grip it tightly and snug 'er up!

Comment

Working...
            X