Why you're old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you're old

Because you have a hobby seeking out Studebakers.
    You can move this if you don' feel it have enough Studebaker content.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

I believe that's true. My father-in-law retired at 66 he mowed the yard and set at the kitchen table and played solitaire. He didn't last long. I retired at 56 with 2 Studebakers and 15 acres and a 48 3 Passenger coupe in site and the Parkview came later. I am 74 now and still have Studebakers to work on. I have slowed down a lot but still going.

Comment

I guess that means the more Studebakers we have, the longer we'll live. I'm gonna start looking for more RIGHT NOW!
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I guess I have no worries as I have more than I want to tell.

Comment

I've got three.........'47M5.......'50 Starlight Coupe.......and a'57 Golden hawk....
          Guess these guys will keep me busy to well past 100 years of age.................

Comment

'spose I'll live 2 100, & in any case will have enough projects 2 keep me busy til then. I frequently brag about my Mom, who still works 3 days a week at 84 to finance her many travels. She is in better shape than my wife is and sharp as a tack.
            Busy people are happy & healthy; vidiots & layabouts rot as quickly as an old car with broken windows sitting outside on the Gulf coast.

Comment

If having projects to do keeps you alive longer I should be set until may 250.

Comment

I work on my 63 Avanti go to car shows , belong to 4 car clubs & I am getting ready to change the
                engine on my 62 Champ . Besides work around the yard , go camping in our trailer & at 73 I feel pretty
                good even with my akes & pains I work a little slower now .

Comment

It is my sincere hope that if and when I pass, my son and daughter......Or my two Grand Daughters will carry on to keep the Studebaker legacy alive.........

Comment

Gee, what's the matter with me? I have only one Stude, a '59 Lark Regal Hardtop. I've owned it for 23 years and everytime I drive it, I feel younger and refreshed. I'm 77 years young and I agree that being in the Stude hobby keeps us young and vital. I'm fortunate that, when I no longer drive, my younger son wants the car.
                    Many of my old car friends are concerned that their children want no part of their old cars.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Well...our high school class (1963) has decided to meet and have a yearly casual dinner in Shelby, N.C. One of our female classmates objected. She said, "It's too depressing. You mean we all have to meet every year until there's not one left?" I thought, "How shallow!" Good grief, if she is so easily depressed, perhaps she needs to get rid of all the mirrors in her house!

I think of how truly blessed just about everyone who lives in this country are. Life is full of adventure, stumbles, tragedy, high's and low's. However, it is up to us, individually, to determine what to make of our challenges and opportunities. Attitude...often, is the sole characteristic that determines if an experience is good or bad. I think about the few Studebakers I own, while there are folks sleeping under over passes, homeless. I think of my good friend, David Walker, who lost over 50 vehicles in a fire. With grace and dignity, he cleaned away the debris, built a new building, and continues on.

There are some old sayings that come to mind..."It's not the years of life, but the life in the years." "Life...it's what happens while you are making plans." and one that I have often used..."I would rather die with things undone...than to get it all done, and wait to die." I always thought that was a pretty neat and clever saying, until my dear older brother was facing certain death from stomach cancer...at that time, no words of any language seemed sufficient.

I enjoy my cars, and all the other trinkets I have collected through the years. But, I know, that they are just that...trinkets. Artifacts of our era, just as the stone tools I have plucked from the ground of another era. I hope that someone will keep and preserve my stuff after I'm gone. But, I don't worry or lose a moments sleep about it. I find myself being the oldest living male in my family. Once, an aunt of mine bragged to me that her husband lived the longest because he had married the "best woman." I turned to my wife and said, "God is punishing both of them!" (You'd have to know the back-story) I think it has much to do with "Attitude." Have you ever noticed that folks with a bad attitude, are irritated by folks with a good attitude? We all have our "moments." The trick is to find ways to balance. I have had bouts with severe depression. Somehow, I manage to emerge anew.

This morning, as I was about to enjoy my coffee, I looked out the back door just in time to see a young calf emerge from the tall grass into my back yard. Problem is...I don't have a calf! Quickly, I had to throw on a pair of coveralls, while calling my neighbor , to inform him that his calves were out. I had to abandon my morning routine and attempt to keep the three critters from getting into the road while waiting for him to arrive from his shop. He arrived with several co-workers and we managed to herd them into my pasture. What to many, would have been a horrible annoyance, ended up being quite a treat for me. Not just that my neighbor promised me some fresh beef...but the hilarious moment...as those three young steers and my small flock of chickens, encountered each other for the first time. Another one of those, "I wish I had a camera," moments.

Attitude...relax and enjoy...
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                      X