No announcement yet.

Carburetor trouble with a happy ending.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor trouble with a happy ending.

We have a 62 T cab here with an OHV six. After sitting for some time without being run, the engine would not start. I figured that the gasoline had evaporated in the carb and took it apart and cleaned everything. After a careful reassembly the engine would only run on gas poured into the carb. I took the carb off and rechecked everything, but still the engine would not run. I took the inlet pipe off and gas ran out, so I knew the fuel was getting that far. When I removed the fitting with the needle, the inside was dry. The needle was stuck to the seat! I cleaned the needle and reconnected the line. The truck now runs again.
    A stuck needle was not the original problem because the engine would respond to the fuel accelerator pump before. The needle stuck while I had the carb off and introduced a new problem. I'm glad that I didn't tear the thing apart again.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I have been there. RBS,by any chance?
    Neil Thornton

Comment

This one is a Carter AS series. Until I forget again, I have a pretty good knowledge of how it comes apart and goes back together. Doing something over a few times because of mistakes will do that.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

This is not related to a Studebaker, but still about needles and seats in Carbs, and a funny story.
        Back in the early '70's (between Studes), my daily driver was a 1963 EJ Holden, with a 6 cyl and a stromberg carb. It had a tendency to flood becuse the float would jam, just a couple of light taps on the side of the carb was usually enough to put things right. One morning on my way to work I was stuck in traffic and noticed the cause was an EJ Holden stopped with the hood up. As I couldn't go anywhere I thought I'd be a good samaritan and try and help. The driver of the car was dressed in a suit and it was obvious was not mechanical. There was fuel running out of the carb, same problem as mine, so I told him how to fix it, he went to his trunk and returned with a large spanner, at this point I emphasised 'light taps'. He tapped it about three times, but the fuel was still pouring out, the progressive taps got heavier with his impatience until he knocked the carb right off the manifold, the cast iron based had craked and the carb was just hanging in mid air by the linkages. He looked at me as though I could help, I said sorry buddy I can't help you now. He said you told me to hit it ! I said I told you to tap it not knock if off the manifold.... By this time a tow truck had turned up and the driver had come over to him and asked him if he needed help, I walked back to my car to watch them load the Holden on the truck.
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Funny story. Good thing he didn't know you.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Now that.s funny i don't care who you are.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
            X