Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please sign the petition to keep the name

Robert Kapteyn
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 09-20-2014, 08:24 AM.

I asked WNDU to fix the link.
    If anyone else has a good link to Heather Story.' s petition ,please let us know.

Comment

I could never understand why they didn't name them the Golden Hawks.

Comment

Someone way more into sports and baseball than I, would have to explain how a Big National Team from Chicago has anything to do with a small town S/B High School? Team called the Silver Hawks.

Anyway if they are not broken, and the name offends no one why change?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sports related or Studebaker related ?????

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Someone way more into sports and baseball than I, would have to explain how a Big National Team from Chicago has anything to do with a small town S/B High School? Team called the Silver Hawks.

Anyway if they are not broken, and the name offends no one why change?
            I could be incorrect, but I thought that the Silver Hawks was a minor league team, not a high school team. All of the minor league teams are affiliated with a major league team.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

They are a Class A Minor League Team established in 1987 that was first associated with the Chicago White Sox, and they were originally called the South Bend White Sox. In 1993, affiliation was switched to the Arizona Diamondbacks, and the name was changed to Silver Hawks.

The Cubs will now supply the players through it's farm system. The Cubs now will have control over the name of the team and the team colors.

I'm no big baseball fan, but I've gone to a few Silver Hawks games. I also attended the very first White Sox game back in 1987. We took our daughter and her boyfriend for her 17th Birthday last year, and paid $10 to have her name broadcast on the Jumbotron. Sports fan or not, the atmosphere at a ballgame is a nice escape and relaxing. My daughters attended Fireworks Night and the Girl Scouts did a camp-out on the field after a game a couple times.

I did buy a nice old Silver Hawks logo hat at a game, which used the badge right off a Hawk. The new owners have really improved the stadium and it's services since taking over. They set attendance records this year. You don't have to be a baseball nut to enjoy the venue, which can be counted as one of South Bend's successes.

Comment

Here in Daytona , we have been the Daytona Cubs for quite a few years , but The Cubs are going to go to
                Myrtle Beach. we will now be affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds .
                The Florida State League is Advanced A baseball . New name for the team is not yet announced .
                I hope that the South Bend team keeps STUDEBAKER in the name .

In MLB I say GO BUCS !
                Bill H
                Daytona Beach
                SDC member since 1970
                Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

They also had Studebaker night a few years back where they were allowed to drive around the field. The new owner is very ambitious and works closely with the owner of the Body Plant which is right across the street on projects. His name is Andrew Berlin and is from Chicago.

Comment

Sorry guys. I kinda knew this would be the outcome, and trying to fight it was futile. When I was with my Grandpa when passed away on August 22, 1975, the last thing he asked me is if the Cubs won that day. He coached a team sponsored by Johnson Gasoline in the 20's and 30's that fed in to the Cubs farm system back then somehow. You have to have loyal fans if you only win the World Series every 100 years or so (The Cubs trademarks are among the most valuable in professional sports.)

WSBT CBS 22 provides news, sports, entertainment and public interest programs to the South Bend, Indiana area including Mishawaka, Notre Dame, Granger, Osceola, Elkhart, Jimtown, Dunlap, New Carlisle, Goshen, Middlebury, Bristol, New Paris, Nappanee, Howe, Lagrange, Topeka, Bourbon, Milford, Syracuse, North Webster, Warsaw, Bremen, Plymouth, Walkerton, Argos, Tippecanoe, Culver, Grovertown, Delong, Rochester, Akron, Winamac, North Judson, LaPorte, North Liberty, Wakarusa, Lapaz, Millersburg, Knox, and Michigan City, Indiana – and these areas of Michigan: St. Joseph, Benton Harbor, Buchanan, Niles, Three Oaks, New Buffalo, Harbert, Bridgeman, Stevensville, Watervliet, Berrien Springs, Dowagiac, Marcellus, Cassopolis, Decatur, Vandalia, Constantine, White Pigeon, Galien and Edwardsburg.

Comment

Here's a video by the Chicago Cubs that accurately outlines what anyone wanting to keep the Silver Hawks name is now up against.

In the news story in my previous post, and at the end of the following video, there are several views of the Studebaker Body Plant and Administration Building, which are the immediate southern neighbors of Four Winds (Coveleski) Field, home of the team:

Last edited by 556063; 09-25-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

The owner, Andrew Berlin, stated that he plans to keep the Studebaker Heritage alive by hosting a number of Studebaker related events at the field next season and jokingly said he considered renaming the team the South Bend Studs.

Comment

I've been a Cubs fan my whole life but I wish they would keep the Silver Hawks name. This is South Bend, not Chicago. They should still be their own team with their own name and colors; and I don't say that just because I'm a Studebaker fan.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                            I've been a Cubs fan my whole life but I wish they would keep the Silver Hawks name. This is South Bend, not Chicago. They should still be their own team with their own name and colors; and I don't say that just because I'm a Studebaker fan.
                            I agree. the name could stay as Silver Hawks. Here, in Fishkill, there is a "farm team" called the Hudson Valley Renegades. They have had more than one "parent" franchise team during their existance. The team is now with the Devil Rays, but they did not assume that name, they are still the Renegades.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X