PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with '64 GT Hawk?

edpjr
09-19-2014, 05:01 PM
I bought a 1964 Studebaker GT Hawk a couple years ago in NC for $1800. I had every intention of restoring it. But my second wife decided shortly thereafter to suddenly take off and, in so doing, was able to take over half my worldly assets. In short, unlike my successful Avanti project some years ago, this one will never by completed (by me). Now I'm in the quandary of what to do...(1) sell it "as is" or (2) part it out.

The car has not been licensed or driven since 1986. It was covered all that time except for the two years prior to me purchasing it. Thus, there is only very minor rust in any of the fenders, quarters or body. The worst thing is that while it was exposed to the elements there was a leak somewhere around the right side of the windshield that caused two rust holes in the passenger side floorboard. My brother is repairing those now with sheet metal and tiger hair.

The car has a Michigan title notarized from sale to the previous owner. I have a notarized bill of sale from the previous owner prepared and stamped by the NC Dept. of Motor vehicles. That's because NC law has some requirement for a special inspection to be performed to acquire an "inoperative" title. Go figure. But if I sold the car out right the purchaser would likely just get a bill of sale from me and the old notarized Mich title.

The details about the car include: it's a white, '64 GT Hawk with a 289 CID 4V engine, dual exhausts, auto floor shifter, full instrumentation, power steering, power disc brakes, etc. It has an AM/FM Studebaker radio, which is being transplanted into my Avanti. So don't count that item. The fuel pump has been replaced and the Carter AFB is being rebuilt. Obviously, I don't know anything about the condition of the engine other than when we hooked up a battery, it turned over pretty easily. So it's not locked up. I put four brand new tires on the car cause the old ones were dry rotted.

At the time the car was put up, the owners removed and stored ALL exterior and some interior pieces. All the chrome, moldings, grill, headlight/taillight covers, door handles, emblems, locks, turn signals, rear seats, wipers, air cleaner, front disc, belts, hoses, etc. were taken off and stored indoors. It has original keys and there is original paperwork from the glove compartment too. The glass is intact. Both front and rear bumpers would need re-chroming by Jerry Forrester.

So gents, that's the story. What do you think would be the best, most profitable approach toward getting rid of this rare vehicle?
Thanks!

8E45E
09-19-2014, 05:14 PM
SELL it. hands down!

'64 GT's are rare enough at it is, and deserved to be saved.

Craig

Jerry Forrester
09-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Both front and rear bumpers would need re-chroming by Jerry Forrester.

Ha!
Thanks for the pro-mo Edwin.
Are you going to put that in the sales contract? <G>

Corvanti
09-19-2014, 06:08 PM
as stated earlier, don't part it out!!! '64 Hawks are rare birds.

sorry about your financial loss due to an ex!:( i'm still trying to recover from the "ex-Mrs. Corvanti" leaving 3 days before Christmas 2011...:mad:

edpjr
09-19-2014, 06:36 PM
You did a sensational job at a good price on my Avanti rear bumper back in 2010. :-)

Ha!
Thanks for the pro-mo Edwin.
Are you going to put that in the sales contract? <G>

Xcalibur
09-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Simple... do whatever YOU want. Do you want to mess with it or not? Decide, then do it. All the best.

jclary
09-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Well...I am about (rounding the numbers) only 100 miles from Denver, NC. I'd love to come take a look at the Hawk, but, for now, timing is not on my side.

See my thread in the stove huggers forum titled "Marital Reciprocity.":QQ:;)

swvalcon
09-20-2014, 06:57 AM
By all means sell it to someone that plans on restoring it. If I didn't have so many projects now and about to face a cancer issue next week I would be in the market for it.

JRoberts
09-20-2014, 07:13 AM
I think I would do whatever is easiest. It is very easy for us to say "save the car" because it is rare, but will somebody step up and buy it? Do you have the time to hold on to it until a buyer is found? On the other hand do you have the time and willingness to take it a part, arrange for shipment of the parts, etc.? Either way post the car and/or parts everywhere possible. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

jackb
09-20-2014, 07:35 AM
I think you will be able to sell the car "as is" to someone for a reasonable price. You need pictures of the floors, closeups of the front fenders and tops of rear quarters and full viewing pics of the trunk. A pic of the rear, bottom edge of the decklid will be most helpful. The roadworthiness is "doubtful" given the state of the moving parts not moving. Show pics of the seat...especially the bad parts. Then the door panels, dash and headliner. Be reasonable. Your car could run an easy $2K just to get what's there moving and stopping .. maybe even a road tag. That's the lucky side. The reality side is much more, upwards to someone wallpapering the garage with receipts.....But.... the '64 was "the" last year for Hawks, and most interested parties will prefer that year over the '62-63's......GL (oh-don't part it out)

sweetolbob
09-20-2014, 08:22 AM
It's the same conundrum as do I sell a crusty Avanti or part it out. No doubt the parts are worth more that the car but you won't sell them immediately. It will leave you with a carcass of the Stude setting around slowly disappearing but never really going away until you get tired of looking at it and call the scrapper. By then you will have tired of trying to sell parts through whatever means you attempt and found that you have probably returned the same amount as if you sold the car originally.

Personally, if you want it gone, post it here first and then go to Craigslist and Ebay if you don't get a reasonable price and sell it as a complete package. If it doesn't sell that way then I'd part it out but I think you will tire of that option eventually.

BTW. ixnay on the igertay airhay on the floors, it's not an Avanti. Just put metal back or leave it alone.

JMHO, Bob

Colgate Studebaker
09-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Ed, hope you remember my posts when you were working on your Avanti. I've since moved from Wisconsin to Florida and have acquired 2 64 GT Hawks. Mine are in more of a project state than yours is,but they are going to be my after retirement projects. I remember you said your brother in law (?) was a mechanic, and you relied on his expertise more than your own knowledge, or to that effect. If that is the case, and you will be trying to restore it, it will get much more costly and time consuming. Parting it out, like Bob said, is risky. You'll sell all the "good" stuff quickly, and then have a very extended time frame of selling something here and there. I'd be more apt to put it on the Swap page first, then Craigslist, and as a last resort E-bay. The key is to price it correctly. Good luck, Bill.

Jerry Forrester
09-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Edwin, PM sent. You may have a buyer in Topeka, Ks.

edpjr
09-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks Jerry! I'll call him.

I can provide detailed pics of the vehicle and would be glad to entertain offers from anyone.

Edwin, PM sent. You may have a buyer in Topeka, Ks.

edpjr
09-21-2014, 08:25 PM
I'll try to make some more pics this week. This car is stored in Lenoir, NC on some commercial property that I own.

jclary
09-22-2014, 08:50 AM
I'll try to make some more pics this week. This car is stored in Lenoir, NC on some commercial property that I own.

Gee...I was just by there on my motorcycle last Wednesday. Skirted around town by turning off 321, running out toward Colletsville, and out Brown Mountain Beach road to Hwy 181. (Motorcycle "short-cut") If I'd been by myself, I would have loved to stop and look it over. (It would probably have been an annoyance to the rest of the group.)