H.D. Front Sway Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: H.D. Front Sway Bar

About a year and a half ago I purchased the 1" front sway bar, S.I part # 801362, for my 63 Cruiser. Today I tried to install it. The clamps that hold the new sway bar bushings will not fit onto the lower control arm, or the brackets that come off the frame. They don't appear to be the right shape at all. Has anyone had experience with this kit installation? Right now I don't know which direction to take on this. Do I modify the clamps? Do I modify the brackets and control arms? Was I sent the wrong kit? No installation directions came with this kit, so I don't know if there's a trick to it or not. I will call S.I. tomorrow and see what they have to say. In the meantime any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brian

It may be best to ask the "Creator"; Dave Thibeault. There have been stories here of VERY difficult installations requiring Loads of torqueing and cussing to get those Mustang Parts to fit.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I got the kit from Dave to retrofit in my '53. Even the original sway bars were a bear to get seated and the HD kit was no more issue than the original.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Agree, even then OEM bars can be difficult with new bushings. But you say the new clamps are not even the right shape, and that sounds like a different story. They are just mild steel, and will take a lot of bending, and even grinding, but unsure if that would fix yours. Maybe a few pix would help us help you.

We all have our tricks, but I install new OEM type bushings with oil on the inside and outside so they will rotate on the bar and the clamps will slip around them easier. Then begin with the frame mounts and support one side with a jack stand for alignment, while working on the other end. Install the clamp-tip into the mount slot; use huge channel-lock pliers to rotate it enough to get a long, Phillips screwdriver into the clamp & mount holes; use the screwdriver to align the holes so a bolt will go through them, with screwdriver removed and clamp held in place with the pliers.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 09-19-2014, 03:42 AM.

Comment

I'll see if about getting some pics up today.
          thanks,
          Brian

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2705.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1692156Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2706.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1692157 Thanks to all your encouragement and advice, using BIG channelocks, screw driver, and a 4" C-clamp, I got the two frame mount bushings and clamps on. Not having done this before I was shy about using a lot of force to get them installed. Going after the control arm mounts next!
            Thanks,
            Brian

Comment

Looks like you are 90 percent done. I'd use a pair of vice grips to pull the clamp toward the mount and hold in place. Then use a Phillips to align the holes, and install a little longer bolt, if necessary to get a nut on the other end. The clamp doesn't look identical to OEM, but will get the job done, once bolted in place.

Comment

I've used a pipe wrench, open it to the appropriate size, and it gives a big leverage advantage.

jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Looooooong before there were any commercially available heavier bars for our cars I went to Addco who made me a set that have been on my Avanti ever since. I made the brackets pictured so that I could modify the mounts of commonly available urethane bushings and use them. NO installation problems.
                  Attached Files

Comment

John, how did you attach to the lower control arm? I've had a struggle with just the stock one there so a picture of yours would help too.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Your Lark will ride like a dream when you get the swaybar installed. I could not believe my Hawk handling after installing Dave's T-bow's front swaybar and yes there was plenty of cursing installing it too. I too had to use a pipe wrench, vise grips, clamps and whatever I could find to squeeze it into place. After driving my Hawk for a while I noticed one of the brackets actually tore off leaving just the tab. Surprised me and Dave, who promptly sent me two more. No problems since.

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2707.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1692174Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2708.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1692175Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2709.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1692176I got the control arm bushings in last night! I think the trick on these is to bend the bracket end that has the tab that fits into the slot, straightening the two pieces next to the tab just a little, and straightening the other end to not-quite-straight, makes the installation doable. The tools I used were the big channelocks, two 4" c-clamps, and a Philips screwdriver as a pilot. One c-clamp, applied to the sway bar just to the outside of the frame mount, pulls the bar towards the control arm with the bushing on the bar. After working the bushing around to the proper orientation, hook the tab on the bracket into the slot on the control arm. Use the second c-clamp on the bracket to pull the bushing/clip tight to the control arm. Use the screwdriver to pull the hole in the bracket to line up with the bolt hole in the control arm. Remove the first c-clamp on the bar. Now use the BIG channelocks to hold the clamp in place and install the bolt, washers, and nut. Add in various grunts and curses where appropriate throughout the procedure, and your done.
                        Thanks again,
                        Brian
                        Last edited by brian6373; 09-21-2014, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you got it! Where there's a will there's a way, but we sometimes have to think out of the box

Comment

Working...
                          X