Bender bodied Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bender bodied Studebakers

Has anyone ever seen one of these? This is from the Coachbuilt website.

1938:

1940:
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Yes, there's one in a barn in Bickleton, WA (bluebird capital of the world). It looked pretty good when I saw it maybe 8 years ago. I think it was a 38. And it had a chrome nameplate mounted on the side that said "Bender".

Comment

Yes, there's one in a barn in Bickleton, WA (bluebird capital of the world). It looked pretty good when I saw it maybe 8 years ago. I think it was a 38. And it had a chrome nameplate mounted on the side that said "Bender".

Comment

From the late 20's to 1937 Studebaker used Superior coaches for the hearses and ambulances. in 1938 they changed to Bender bodies. I don't know the reason for the change. There are a fair number of them around, I know of three or four of them . very interesting vehicles.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

From the late 20's to 1937 Studebaker used Superior coaches for the hearses and ambulances. in 1938 they changed to Bender bodies. I don't know the reason for the change. There are a fair number of them around, I know of three or four of them . very interesting vehicles.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Here's a great photo of a 1940 owned by Jeff Gamble in Tennessee. Nice!
            I guess he owns a funeral chapel, too.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Here's a great photo of a 1940 owned by Jeff Gamble in Tennessee. Nice!
              I guess he owns a funeral chapel, too.

Comment

I grew up with one of these in my garage. My dad bought it in LA in
                the mid 70's. It had a red velour interior while it was used as a
                milk delivery van for years. It had a slogan in the rear window that
                read "Everybody Needs Milk". It was white, but had black everywhere
                else (under hood, door jams). Unfortunately, my dad bought it from a
                surfer, who started tearing all the velour out - to put in paneling. I
                was the only one of three boys that had an interest in cars back then,
                so my dad ended up selling it to a guy who swore he would restore it.
                We heard a few years later that he chopped the top from front to rear
                and started to install a big block/Roots blown engine into it, then gave
                up on the project. It's probably been made into 20 Hondas by now.[V]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Has anyone ever seen one of these?
                1940:
                '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I grew up with one of these in my garage. My dad bought it in LA in
                  the mid 70's. It had a red velour interior while it was used as a
                  milk delivery van for years. It had a slogan in the rear window that
                  read "Everybody Needs Milk". It was white, but had black everywhere
                  else (under hood, door jams). Unfortunately, my dad bought it from a
                  surfer, who started tearing all the velour out - to put in paneling. I
                  was the only one of three boys that had an interest in cars back then,
                  so my dad ended up selling it to a guy who swore he would restore it.
                  We heard a few years later that he chopped the top from front to rear
                  and started to install a big block/Roots blown engine into it, then gave
                  up on the project. It's probably been made into 20 Hondas by now.[V]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Has anyone ever seen one of these?
                  1940:
                  '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Can you imagine air conditioning one of those today?
                    Jeff[8D]

[/quote]
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Can you imagine air conditioning one of those today?
                      Jeff[8D]

[/quote]
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Considering the white color, I'd almost reckon it would be a child's hearse. Dunno how long they went with the child's hearse but from what I was told the children's death rate at this time was fairly high. So they put out a children's hearse and painted it white rather than black to symbolize purity and innocence.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                        [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                        [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                        [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                        [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Considering the white color, I'd almost reckon it would be a child's hearse. Dunno how long they went with the child's hearse but from what I was told the children's death rate at this time was fairly high. So they put out a children's hearse and painted it white rather than black to symbolize purity and innocence.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                          [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                          [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                          [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                          [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Nice parts hauler
                            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Nice parts hauler
                              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                              X