Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently joined the club since i purchased a 1958 silver hawk. I remeber in the sixties my brother had a golden hawk which i thought was the best car i had ever seen, motivated me to look for hawk when purchasing collector car. I want this car to be a driver not show car. I enjoy driving the car except it does not have power boost brakes or power steering. I want to add both and also thought about adding front disc brakes. I have seen kits where you replace front end with other brands including disc brakes but wonder if this is the right way to go or should I look for original equipment/reconditioned set up. Looking forward to my studebaker experience . any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum, Bob! I've moved your post to the General board where it will attract more eyes. Glad to have you here!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome Bob,

Any Pictures to share?

I suggest to get an account on photobucket or flicker so you can upload your pictures and post to the forum.

This is a general link to Info about using the forum ==> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...um-Discussions

I posted this as to show how to add photos with links ==> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...th-Hyper-Links

This site as well as Bob Johnstones site contains a wealth of information on upkeep and upgrades for your car..

If you look at the banner above from the forum, you can see a search window on the right, about center. Type in Disc Brakes and be prepared to see many discussions on the subject.

Also, Click Here ==> http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechx4.html

This is another site with many helpful links and tech info..

Enjoy your car!

Seb

Comment

Welcome Bob. Have the front discs on my '56 Golden Hawk. You'll be glad to have them with manual brakes as am I. You just missed the Waterbury Zone Meet. Had a '58 Silver parked next to me (opening footage plus a few shots thereafter):

Comment

Welcome, Bob !
          Jim Turner has complete kits for adding disc brakes; pretty straightforward. As for the power steering, there are many parts required, starting with the steering column, floor seal, all linkages to the transmission and accelerator and all parts and brackets associated with the gearbox, pump, pulleys and going as far as including the front pulley to crankshaft bolts and the crank center bolt. Not difficult to accomplish but best to find a complete donor vehicle.

Glad to have you here and look forward to assisting and viewing your progress.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Great bunch of studebakers sorry I missed out live close!

Comment

Welcome to the asylum Bob. You'll have plenty of support from the gang here so you will enjoy the most from your new ride. Converting to power steering and power brakes is not difficult. There are several good solid sources to obtain everything needed to get 'er done. And if you keep up on the normal maintenance your Stude should run forever :-)

That's why God drives a Studebaker!

George

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
                Welcome Bob. Have the front discs on my '56 Golden Hawk. You'll be glad to have them with manual brakes as am I. You just missed the Waterbury Zone Meet. Had a '58 Silver parked next to me (opening footage plus a few shots thereafter):

Wow! So many beautiful examples! The black and white coupe at 20 seconds sure is handsome! What model is it?

Comment

I'll second the Jim Turner recommendation. His kit is easy to install and he is very good about answering questions if you need help along the way.
                  Wayne
                  "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                    I'll second the Jim Turner recommendation. His kit is easy to install and he is very good about answering questions if you need help along the way.
                    I third it! Jim is great to deal with.

Welcome aboard Bob!!!

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by FAK View Post
                      Wow! So many beautiful examples! The black and white coupe at 20 seconds sure is handsome! What model is it?
                      That was a '56 Sky Hawk with a 304. Its for sale: yours for 35 grand.

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
                        That was a '56 Sky Hawk with a 304. Its for sale: yours for 35 grand.
                        You have a private message

Comment

Welcome aboard! I own 4 '58 Hawks and several Hawk parts cars here in Houston.

Comment

Working...
                          X