No announcement yet.

Are Alternator Regulators Adjustable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Are Alternator Regulators Adjustable?

I ran a check yesterday on my charging system in my 63 Lark and found the charge rate is 13.8 volts steady. From what I have read, normal charging rates are between 13.8 and 14.8 volts, so yes, I'm in the range but would prefer the rate to be slightly higher within that range.

The Shop Manual addresses adjusting Autolite regulators for generators, but does not address Prestolite regulators for the newer alternator systems, and looking around on the Internet I have found conflicting information as to whether or not mechanical regulators for alternator charging systems can be adjusted. Anyone know the answer to this??

And I suppose the other question would be: is my 13.8 volt charge rate sufficient and should I just forget about it???

George

I am no "expert" with charging systems, however I have worked on them over the years. First, how much of a load are you drawing from the battery? Do you have lots of accessories such as a high power stereo, power windows/seats/etc., air conditioning? the more "stuff" you have drawing voltage out of the battery, the more need for the charging system to replenish that voltage draw. At 13.8 volts, I believe the alternator will do just fine on a car that has the "usual" 1963 accessories. The most drain on the battery will most likely be the nighttime lighting - head/ tail/ stop/ dash lights. If it were me I would be good with the alternator charging at 13.8. Others may differ, but that is from my experience. Best of luck, Bill Van Alstyne.

Comment

I agree with Bill. If your battery is in good shape 13.8v should be plenty.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys! Yes, during daytime the only load is the original Delco AM transistor radio and on really hot days the factory installed Air Conditioning, plus signal lights. At night time the headlights are of course an added draw but thats it. When I first start the car the ammeter on the dash shows a modest charge rate (maybe 25 - 30% positive past the 0 - centerline) which drops to nearly on the centerline but just slightly positive charge rate after about 15- 30 seconds. Battery is a new Interstate. So it looks as though all is perfectly well, then.

-George-

Comment

I've adjusted voltage regulators on alternator equipped Studebakers, but you had better have good test equipment and know what you are doing before attempting to adjust a voltage regulator. As others have said, 13.8 volts is in the good range. If the battery is staying fully charged all is good and if it isn't replace the regulator and get the alternator tested as it could have internal problems. Bud

Comment

Working...
          X