The 1947 Champion Progress Report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1947 Champion Progress Report.

The little 47 Champion is home and licensed to drive. I changed the oil and put a new battery in it. A few problems came up - some drivetrain noise I need to sort out and the OD does not seem to be working. I will start by greasing the u joints and changing the oil in the transmission and OD unit. Quite the thing to drive almost the same car that goes as far back as I can remember and it having the grille from the exact same car. Life is pretty good it seems!!!
    Still stuff to do - front bumper is the old back one until the correct one is re-plated or another one found. Still it is going to be a lot of fun. So different than the Avanti - just a nice contrast in the Studebaker family!!

Neil
    Attached Files

Love the '47 hood emblem! Congrats on a nice car.
    ~Matt Connor
    '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Great looking little car. These are a blast to drive as long as you have realistic expectations for their performance and treat them accordingly. While greasing the u joints, don't forget the center support bearing. Also, on mine after sitting for years during the restoration, I had to open the rear gear housing and tighten the bolts on the large ring gear. There is some gear lash when the overdrive kicks in and (not knowing some of those bolts were loose) I sheared one off. It rattled around the gear without chewing up the teeth (very lucky break). I eased home and managed to get the broken bolt out, replace it, and re-torqued the rest. That was years ago, so far, no more problems.

While you are doing the greasing, remove the small plugs and install a grease fitting to lube the outer rear axle bearings. The instructions are in the manual. Resist the urge to leave a grease fitting there. The location is in an area susceptible to getting them broken off or tempting to be "over greased" by some service tech. Hope you don't take this info as condescending...'cause you might already know all this stuff. However, you never know what "Newbie" could benefit from reading this.

As far as getting the overdrive checked out. I've had great luck by supporting vehicles off the ground and putting the transmission through its paces. It is much better than having to drive it each troubleshooting step.

Again, great looking car. Keep us updated as you enjoy the adventure of 1940's "post-war" technology!
      Last edited by jclary; 09-14-2014, 08:30 PM.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That should garner some attention ! I love those sedans; and it's a great color.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

SWEET!! I found your post half an hour after coming home from a 569-mile (910 km) weekend with our 1947 Champion, celebrating IDYSD weekend with the Atlantic Canada Chapter SDC on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. I hope you will be able to enjoy touring with yours as much as we enjoy doing it with ours.

Check that the wires on your overdrive are not reversed. If they are backwards, it will not work because it will be trying to push the solenoid in the wrong direction.

On our car, the flat part of the front hood ornament (under the S) is painted red. I am quite sure that is original (although it has been re-painted). Nice touch.

Make sure you find all the grease fittings --- these porcupines have 28 of them, I think. See the chart in your shop manual. Also, a drop of oil for your generator bearings each year is needed.

As Imperial Oil's "Tony the Tiger" used to say, "Happy Motoring!!"
          Bill Jarvis

Comment

Congrats on your progress

I like trying my 47 Champ also. I like the feel of the ride the traverse front spring provides.
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Have fun. Any car that old is going to get lots of attention from other folks. Most will never notice the bumper or care if they do. My bumpers are both bent at the moment.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks very much for all the kind and encouraging words. It is a fun little car for sure with a look all its own both now and when it was new!
                Neil

Comment

Thanks for putting another one back on the road.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                    Thanks for putting another one back on the road.
                    Thanks Dave. I recall speaking with you at the 2013 Stude Swap meet at the little school house. How is the 55 Commander going? Sound like you had fun in Michigan!!
                    Neil

Comment

Great Job Neil. Looks like a blast!

Comment

Yes, Neil, the event organizers and the SDC troop know how to put on a show. The 55 gets better with each little improvement. You'll find that with the 47, too. "First by far, with a post war car".
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by Jefscoupe View Post
                          Great Job Neil. Looks like a blast!
                          Thanks Jeff and thank you for all your help. That is your right hand front door among other things from you!!!
                          Regards
                          Neil

Comment

You are quite welcome Neil.
                            Glad to help.

Comment

I am working through my overdrive issues. The fellow who restored the car altered some wires under the dash to take out some aftermarket swithces which had been added. Looks like the overdrive has wires coming under the dash to the fuel gauge and to the ignition switch. I notice the fuel gauge says full all the time now also. I am curious - why would the Od connect up to the fuel gauge. Any ideas out there/
                              The first problem I found is the reverse lock out switch was broken, so i bypassed it. Then I jumpered it to ground and still it does not work. Next is to check under the dash. Fus seems to be making contact and seems good.
                              Thanks
                              Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X