R1 Swap In My 64 hawk???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: R1 Swap In My 64 hawk???

I recently took a 3 hour trip in the 64 and used about 2 quarts of oil so I need to figure out what to do. I was planning on turning a 63 lark 6 regal that I have into an r1 powered lark. I have the engine, trans, front suspension, rear axel, and interior from a R1 lark so I have all I need to do it. But I started thinking about putting the R1 into my hawk over the winter and drive it next year or so and enjoy it till I get ready to restore the rest of the car. I guess i'm torn about what to do. I can etheir wait and do all the hawk at once witch will take a few years to save enough to start. Or I could swap this R1 in for now and get the engine bay cleaned up and detailed and continue driving it till I get started on the whole car. Or I can start on the lark and get it going and wait on the hawk. Idk?? any suggestions?? I would really like to keep the hawk drivable I do show it and drive a lot.

Do a compression test on the Hawk and get back to us. It could be that all it needs to get by for a while is new valve stem seals.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Do the head bolts have to come out to do the valve stem seals? I have the parts already. I started to do it a while back and it looked like the rockers would have to come off. I was hoping to do them with the engine in the car. That would be a better solution. I was afraid to do it because the head bolts looked like the had to come out.. I will run a compression test also. thanks!

Comment

The valve stem seals can be replaced without removing the heads. There are several posts on doing this.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Cool thanks!! I will search around and look it up!!

Comment

Working...
          X